Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first off I am a die hard Ford fan and the only reason I have a dodge is because of the Cummins. I was set of getting a 6.4 for my last truck but I was concerned about reliability and the prices they were going for around here are insane so I opted out and bought my current truck.

It has been a great truck and I love it but I can't help but stare and be jealous of every 6.4 that passes me on the road. I have looked at the high mileage threads and have been pretty impressed with how many miles these trucks are getting.

So my question is should I not be afraid and trade my truck off on a 6.4 or not?

Thanks

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,655 Posts
Big question is are you going to tune and delete it? If not stick with the cummins. If you are going to do the deletes, get the 6.4 and don't look back. They are awesome! You wot get the mileage your cummins is getting, but who cares.

Sent from a phone smarter than me.
WHS^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
994 Posts
^^^^^^^^times 2

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would definitely do all of the deletes and tune it. I won't buy a newer diesel without doing the deletes after seeing how badly the clogged up my dads 6.7.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i hear its best to stay away from the 08 models wether you tune and delete or not.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The 08's are fine. :icon_ford:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard a lot of people that have good luck with the 08's so if I found the perfect truck and it was an 08 it wouldn't turn me off

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My goal is to have a truck pretty much like B585Ford's

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Power, no you wont regret it once it's tuned. Sound wise you may regret it. I miss my 6.0 so bad just because of the sound. But this truck sounds good in a different way. But when I need a loud truck I just take my 04 f450 for a ride!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bought an 08, did all deletes, tuned, intake and headstuds. I will be buying another 08 this fall and parking it in the barn! Just so I have another low mile 08 in 5-7 years when it's time! Mileage isn't impressive, I like the sound straight piped. Not as loud as most but a good growl. Power with somewhat cheap bolt ons is extremely impressive. Buy it and thank us later:)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
101 Posts
I love my 08 as well. Haven't regretted it for a second. And I haven't even tuned or deleted it yet!!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree mileage is not impressive. I went from a 98.5 24v cummins with 600+ hp and even then I got better mileage with that haha. Also be careful with custom tunes when you get it. I know most ppl don't have issues but they still exist with some ppl. I put a custom tune on my sct live wire and it fried my Tcm and it had to be replaced resulting in my truck not starting for 8 days while it was bein taken care of. But as bad as is was its all taken care of now and with it deleted tuned and air box it's a animal. I take out most coupes with a 150 tune lol. The pull is crazy. Just be ready to to never be on full for long lol.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
No need to be scared of an 08 model mine has a build date of 01/07 and I couldn't be happier

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Sorry not trying to hijack, but what is a job 1 and how is it different from a regular truck?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'll show you a recent bill of the one Im working on... I think were just in around $10k. All normal issues also

·
Registered
88 Posts
i hear its best to stay away from the 08 models wether you tune and delete or not.

My 08 job 3 F350 6.4 is at 143K and counting. Best truck I have owned. I also have a 2001 Dodge 3500 Cummins with 270K. Both trucks were new when purchased.

Out of warranty repair cost on Ford F350 6.4 is $0.

Out of warranty repair cost on Dodge;
- 3 lift pumps $500.00
- 1 VP44 injection pump $1200.00
- 3 transmissions and TQ converters ~ $4K each
- 6 injectors at $900
- 1 turbo at $800

IH still makes the 6.4, in Huntsville AL, and it is used in everything from medium duty trucks to motor homes, cab and chassis vans and even boats.
The 6.4 will be around for a while.

It is much more comfortable towing with my Ford F350 than My Dodge.

I wouldn't worry too much about an 08 6.4 if it has been maintained.

Just my experance.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mine runs like a champ passes everthing but a fuel station

1 - 20 of 53 Posts