Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i am having problems and was hoping for help. I put on a Wildman chip along with a 4 inch exhaust and a afe stage 2 with pro guard 7 from Raul at Stealth automotive. Well the first month i was totally satisfied but then like over night it seems like its gotten sluggish and the between 35-40 miles per hour it will shift up and down continuously. According to the pyrometer im still getting good egt (600-1200) and the boost is about 25, but it just doesnt seem like its got the power it did a month ago. i thought about pulling the chip out and cleaning the posts to see if that helped, but wanted your guys opinions. oh one other symptom is that seems like the gas mileage is around 10 mpg. havent measured it though for official mpgs. thanks in advance....scott

·
Registered
212 Posts
I hear you...

I have also been having some issues with mine...

BUT, I am not sure if its mechanical, or programming...

I am still waiting to hear back from Tony....

Chase

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Sounds more like transmission problem. I bet if you do not tend to it soon, your O/D light will start flashing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine seems to...... walk...

Almost like the programing is fluid...

Not just the shifts......

The throttle response is... well....

I added a 10k resistor... and that helped it feel better....

I dont know...

The chip, last friday, defaulted to, I guess position 1... wouldnt go to any other tune...

then, later, it was fine... just a bit gutless?

I dont know, and I am not going to be quick to blame Tony... or his tunes...

BUT...

Chase

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lets not talk that way...ok?? lol...ill start saving my pennies, so do you think the extra power burn the tranny up??

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Hey raul, you have any ideas what might be going on??
It sounds like your trans is slipping. Or your torque converter is slipping. When you run a chip, eventually you will have to upgrade the trans. Triple disc converter, new high performance steels and clutches.

Pull the dipstick for the transmission and smell the fluid. I bet it smells burnt and has clutch particles in it.

This is nothing the chip or programming could have prevented. It is just that the stock trans can not handle the extra hp.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
Mine seems to...... walk...

Almost like the programing is fluid...

Not just the shifts......

The throttle response is... well....

I added a 10k resistor... and that helped it feel better....

I dont know...

The chip, last friday, defaulted to, I guess position 1... wouldnt go to any other tune...

then, later, it was fine... just a bit gutless?

I dont know, and I am not going to be quick to blame Tony... or his tunes...

BUT...

Chase
Pull the chip out bud... no point in trying to break something.... next time you call up tony leave a message.... that is a tuning issue that needs to get fixed.

-Raul

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
733 Posts
It happened to me also. Wildman chip and injectors doubled power (really). Shortly after the upgrade I was getting a built transmission. Get your fluid and filter changed, have them look for metal in the fluid.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
lets not talk that way...ok?? lol...ill start saving my pennies, so do you think the extra power burn the tranny up??
The chip didn't burn it up. The operator driving it hard burned it up. I did it to mine, I know several others that have done it too. The stock trans just can not handle the power.

You get the chip you install the chip. You go out loving the extra power running the truck hard. Then the trans goes out.

The other guy gets the chip, drives like always has. Runs hard occassionally never has a problem with the trans. Then one day while going down the road the trans starts slipping and he looses power.

How many miles are on your truck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ever since I installed my chip from Tony the o/d light flashes. Mine acts like the converter locks in and out in the 140 tune but all the other tunes the converter will only lock-up if I speed up say like 35 mph to 40 mph then it will lock-up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pull the chip out bud... no point in trying to break something.... next time you call up tony leave a message.... that is a tuning issue that needs to get fixed.

-Raul
I pulled the box back out the other day... been meaning to get it out... but...

I tried to call a couple times last week, and left a msg on Friday(maybe thursday), I know he is a busy guy...

But, I will give him another ring..... I didnt wanna do much without talking to him first....

For the record, my trans is good...

NEW convertor, v/b, and checked everything else.... looked great... my front pump might be getting weak, as I suspect my HPOP is...

Like I said, I wasnt complaining, and I AM waiting for Tony to call me back,,,'

For the record, when I first got the chip, it was like NOTHING I have ever driven.... throttle response, was incredible, shifts were spot on for each tune...

Anyway....

Chase

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
I pulled the box back out the other day... been meaning to get it out... but...

I tried to call a couple times last week, and left a msg on Friday(maybe thursday), I know he is a busy guy...

But, I will give him another ring..... I didnt wanna do much without talking to him first....

For the record, my trans is good...

NEW convertor, v/b, and checked everything else.... looked great... my front pump might be getting weak, as I suspect my HPOP is...

Like I said, I wasnt complaining, and I AM waiting for Tony to call me back,,,'

For the record, when I first got the chip, it was like NOTHING I have ever driven.... throttle response, was incredible, shifts were spot on for each tune...

Anyway....

Chase
PM me your contact number bud and see if i can help out

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it has 130000 miles on it, i didnt really hot rod it to much cuz with the way gas prices are it aint worth it, but i did like knowing the power was there if needed. i kept it in position 3 all the time except when i wanted to smoke. also on occasion(mostly when it was cold out) the truck would start and would not get over 25 mph unless i pulled to the side of the road and would turn it off and restart it then it would driver normally. do you think this is related??

·
Registered
366 Posts
My TC went also, but I knew the TC & tranny would be the weak link in the chain after adding the power mods and that it only was a matter of time. the OD light would start flashing, and occassionaly the TC would either not lock when supposed to or stay locked and stall the truck out when slowing to a stop light. Wasn't the chip - after the tranny was rebuilt by Faubion with a PI torque converter all was great again.

·
Registered
366 Posts
on occasion(mostly when it was cold out) the truck would start and would not get over 25 mph unless i pulled to the side of the road and would turn it off and restart it then it would driver normally. do you think this is related??

What were the outside air temps? Sounds like it could have possibly been your EBPV closing to get the engine up to normal operating temp. When I still had my EBPV it would sound like a giant leaf blower under the hood and feel like the turbo died, no boost & no power until the engine warmed up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts