Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 7.3 F-250. the truck has a 5" turbo back stright pipe exhaust, a pure diesel power 65 hp chip, and an intake. while driving the truck will build boost normally until it reaches 11-12psi then it seems like the wastegate opens and the boost pressure drops to around 5-6 psi. if i slowly acclerate and build boot i can just barely hit 15 psi then it drops to 9-10 psi.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I have a 99 7.3 F-250. the truck has a 5" turbo back stright pipe exhaust, a pure diesel power 65 hp chip, and an intake. while driving the truck will build boost normally until it reaches 11-12psi then it seems like the wastegate opens and the boost pressure drops to around 5-6 psi. if i slowly acclerate and build boot i can just barely hit 15 psi then it drops to 9-10 psi.
Check for boost leaks around your IC boots and plenum boots, as well as the up-pipes.

·
Banned
4,238 Posts
I would try this real quick too... unplug the red line from the turbo wastegate and plug it with a screw/naul or whatknot. Do a hard WOT run and see where your boost goes.

It very well may be a leak as stated, but the wastegate could be defective, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've already taken the red line off the wastegate, and pluged the red line onto the threads of the intake clamp. from what I have read this should basiclly cause the wastegate to stop functioning, but my truck will still make the same noise, and loose boost. I'm going to check for leaks, what im worried about is the turbo itself is going bad.

·
Banned
4,238 Posts
I've already taken the red line off the wastegate, and pluged the red line onto the threads of the intake clamp. from what I have read this should basiclly cause the wastegate to stop functioning, but my truck will still make the same noise, and loose boost. I'm going to check for leaks, what im worried about is the turbo itself is going bad.
Contact TreySpooner, he is currently making the boost leak detector for around $45 plus shipping... Or make on yourself!

If the wastegate is unplugged, its most likely a bad boost leak. Check your boots out well, take 'em off, clean them, (do the CCV delete/re-route) and put them back on and clamp the hell out of them.

I highly recommend doing the plenum inserts and new t-bolt clamps, too, the stock clamps suck and I know mine leaked and made a horrible mess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts