Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pulled my tractor the other day, maybe 12K lbs and just for a short distance, 13 miles, and I didn't use my SCT to retune for the pull. I drove easy and never got over 1150°F EGT which was pulling a pretty good grade for half a mile around 17-20psi boost running 50mph in 4th gear torque converter locked.

My question is what besides running too high of an EGT will it hurt to tow a heavy load with a performance tune? I can understand that with the tune the engine would make enough power that it could damage the tranny or other drive line components with such a load if I were to demand that power from it but if driving conservatively then is there anything else that pulling with the tune may hurt :dunno:

I'm running the SRL+ tune from Gear Head.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Mainly because EGT's get to hot. I used to tow with SRL. It works great for under 8k lbs. You have to be careful though it gets hot QUICK. Its very hard on your trans. taking that short of distance you did is fine. anything more then that i would not push the truck that hard.

I occasionally tow with SRL-X or EXTREME-X, It has to be under 5k lbs or it gets very hot quick.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
cylinder pressure, your egts can be low and your cylinder pressure can still be high. has to do with timing

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Cylinder head pressure bro. You don't have a gauge to monitor it. EGTs are not your enemy. Performance tune with a real trailer and you will crack/lift your heads due to cylinder head pressure. Timing adjustments are the differance, performance fires earlier and builds more pressure, not good combination when towing heavy. But if you got the money, go for it, pay to play. My truck has never had a performance tune loaded in it's life. These trucks were built to work and tow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts