Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Ford F250 Superduty (early 99, 12/98). I'm considering getting a performance filter, but what's wrong with K&Ns? What is it about the K&N that causes so many problems? Why are others so superior? By the way, I noticed some manufacturers offer a OE style filter and an intake kit, considering I don't really push the truck, and usually run at about 1,300 to 1,500 RPM. Is the intake worth the extra $200 to 300?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
look up the do it yourself tymar type intake. it will only cost ya 50 bucks and will flow all the air you will ever need and filter great as well

·
She's paid for!!!!!!
661 Posts
k&n stock replacement filters don't fit the airbox correctly allowing dirt & debris to get thru & dust the turbo.
I've known a few people with Powerstrokes & other diesels have this problem

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
DIY Tymar :thumb: I like mine a lot!
I've read where K&N allows dust to get thru....the same way it allows "more" air. If it is the oiled type, oil mist can mess with sensors too. So I've been told. I have a K&N drop in that I took out as soon as I got my truck home. Not sure how many miles were logged with it, but the turbo blades look pretty good....a small nick in two of them. K&N problem? I really don't know. I'd go with K&N on a gasser, just not a turbo diesel.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
because it will flow more than you will need and it is one of the best at filtering. and it will only cost 50 bucks or so. you need a piece of 4" exhaust and some clamps and the filter. If you dont want to spend big bucks on an intake but get more than enough air and some of the best filtering, this is your ticket, alot of people run it including myself. Do some research on it and find some pics if you havent seen it before

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link Hank. Just one more question though, the link listed a Napa filter, but isn't that just a standard paper filter? You still wouldn't recommend a K&N or other performance filter with the DIY intake, or am I missing something?

·
HardLuck Case of the Year
3,541 Posts
That NAPA filter is about 100x's bigger than any K&N filter you can get. Even though it's paper, it will flow more air AND it will filter better. (Not saying much b/c the K&N filters really don't "filter" much out.)

·
Registered
497 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Let’s see, IF the air filter leaks dust into the engine, then your looking at a new engine for around $8,000 or more. NOT worth the risk, My engine was dusted by the factory air intake system, cost me over $4,000 to rebuild it doing all the work myself. Please take it from me and don’t give K&N or the factory intake a second thought. Spend the $40 and do the DIY.

Here is mine;

·
Registered
447 Posts
What is the part number on that filter and who sells it thanks Snowman
Are you asking about the one in Alabamafrogs' picture?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Napa 6637

I have had my KNN FIPK2 on my truck for almost 100k, no problems, turbo is in great shape, and every oil analysis comes back with low silicon levels, so I have no reason to replace it with something else. If I did it all over again I would have bought an AFE stage 2 from the start.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
My truck came with a K&N and its still on it. I had theintake off of it last weekend and the turbo looked great. The K&N system has been on it for awhile but Im not sure how long. I have heard so much bad stuff though that it makes me worry. I might go to a napa filter on the K&N CAI. All I would have to do is remove the K&N heat sheild and clamp on the Napa filter correct?

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
FYI,
Here is the cross over numbers for all major brands of filters I got from the Baldwin website, I prefer the Baldwin but that’s personal preference.

I use the Baldwin PA2818

PART NUMBER: PA2818
Descriptions : Air Element
Replaces : Donaldson ECB085011
O.D. : 8 1/2 (215.9)
I.D. : 4 (101.6) One End
Length : 12 3/8 (314.3)

Here is a list of cross over numbers for most major manufactures for the same filter from the Baldwin website. You can also go to the Baldwin website and put your zip in to find local dealers.

ACDELCO A1474C

AIR REFINER ARM08-5011

BALDWIN FILTERS PA2818

BIG A 94637

CATERPILLAR 3I0003

CARQUEST 88637

CUMMINS 2912986

CUMMINS 3912020

DONALDSON B085011 H

DONALDSON ECBO85011 H

DONALDSON ECB085011 H

FLEETGUARD AH1141

FLEETRITE AHR81141

FRAM CA6818

GFF AF359214

GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 25177209

HASTINGS PREMIUM FILTERS AF2329

HERCULES B085008

KRALINATOR LA1458

LUBER-FINER LAF2533

NAPA GOLD 6637

SCHUPP SL12903

WIX 46637

WIX 546637

WOODGATE WGA1138

I need to get maintain to add this list to his DIY write up so I don't have to keep looking for it and posting it up.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
I use the Baldwin too. Hope to find one that may be slightly smaller next time. I left the bottom of the air box in for now and the PA2818 is tight. I may also cut away a portion of the hood insulation. I did some under-hood temp. investigation this past weekend and will do the Zoodad mod as soon as I get a few hours.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I have always completely removed the air box when installing the DIY filter setup so it can have room and lay down against the fender. How did your temp tests go? When I watched mine it was winter and the under the hood temps were within 2-3 degrees of the outside temps most of the time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My under hood temps are about 120° cruising.

I'm thinking about doing the zoodad mod to try to lower them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts