Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the reasoning for the high opening / operating temps ?? Everywhere I read its like 220* normal operating temp.
I have a Duramax 6.6 company work truck ..this things got 280k miles and I run the crap out of it ..it's 112* ambient outside temps ,AC full blast and run 80+mph for miles at a time and it never gets over 200* and usually stays at 190* in town
:dunno:
anyone make a cooler thermostat ??

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
The ford factory Tstat opens partially at 184ish and is fully open at 192. If you are seeing 220 normal op temps change your tstat its stuck shut.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Actually the thermostat starts to opens at 192 and is fully open at 219. Whoever told you that Powerstroke's are supposed to run at 220 doesn't know what he is talking about.

·
Registered
412 Posts
220 reading is hot i think, i know with my CTS insight it reads around town as of now usually 188-192 and my engine oil is around 188-196 ive only seen a 4 degree difference running 65mph for maybe 10mins or so, on monday i gotta take my truck to the dealer to check my calipers, the left one got stuck the other day and the pads look real glassy, so im gunna tell him i want 2 new calipers and to check the rears, i think the slide pins were dry as hell, i regreased them and it seems good, but hey when u got warranty, might as well get new haha, anyways ill be on a long drive on the I-495E On long island for maybe an hour or more, ill be doing 50-65 and see my temp dif between the ECT and EOT, if its all good ill flush the coolant system and fill with the Rotella ELC that I have waiting to get put in.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I can send you my bad thermostat that gets my truck up to about 186. But seriously 192 is about where is should run normally not under a heavy load or hauling which will oviously be higher.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yikes 220*? 194* is all the hotter my truck runs. That's empty in 90* weather but still. Can your current one and see what it does with a new one.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is Ok but like PGrenSVT said ...it's open at 219* fully and it seems FORD only makes a one Temp. Thermostat ??
I have CAT's ,Cummins,John Deeres and several other diesel engines here at work ...and they ALL read about 180* running Loaded ..just wondering why Ford sets theirs to run at such a high temp ?

·
Registered
541 Posts
interested as well. or at least for the explanation .

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well ..let me throw out my point of Question I guess since i did not state where this came from ...LOL
Since Ford is aware of the heads cracking ,warping etc. and bolts stretching ...why they would not want a cooler operating temp? I know diesels can run better with a little more heat than a gasoline engine ...but ..heat = more wear potential , faster fluids breakdown ,and stress would it not ?

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
200* is definitely not too hot for a diesel to be running at and will not do anything harmful to your engine. It will have more complete combustion and run better at 200* than at 180*.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts