Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I give it gas and if the rear end gets lose (whether it be on pavement, gravel or otherwise) the truck always seems to start wheel hopping really REALLY bad. I'm pretty sure it's a posi rear, but why does it wheel hop so bad? Is this Ford design? Because I haven't really heard much about this on the forums.

Matt

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wheel hop is a common problem with these trucks. The long, progressive rear leaf springs designed to carry heavy loads and provide a semi-comfortable ride when empty are a recipe for wheel hop. It gets much worse if your shocks are tired.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
you may have somthing loose or weak leafs or even worn shocks. I would pull the shocks and check them. What tires are you running? You may consider traction bars.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wheel hop is a common problem with these trucks. The long, progressive rear leaf springs designed to carry heavy loads and provide a semi-comfortable ride when empty are a recipe for wheel hop. It gets much worse if your shocks are tired.
Oh thats a good explanation why. I knew fords tend to have wheel hop in a lot of their vehicles (in my experiences), but wasn't sure.

you may have somthing loose or weak leafs or even worn shocks. I would pull the shocks and check them. What tires are you running? You may consider traction bars.
The suspension seems like its in great shape and doesnt seem to be worn. You can almost jump on the bed and it barely moves lol. They are some new 235/??/16's.. forgot the brand but they are just a street tire

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Just because you can barely move the suspetion dosent mean the shocks are any good. You have to pull them. It not like a car that bounces like a boat when the shocks are bad.:thumb:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just because you can barely move the suspetion dosent mean the shocks are any good. You have to pull them. It not like a car that bounces like a boat when the shocks are bad
If you've still got the factory shocks on your truck I'd be shocked (no pun intended) if they were still good.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just because you can barely move the suspetion dosent mean the shocks are any good. You have to pull them. It not like a car that bounces like a boat when the shocks are bad.:thumb:
Oh. Damn.

If you've still got the factory shocks on your truck I'd be shocked (no pun intended) if they were still good.
I cant tell if they are factory or not, but I'd wager they are...

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Tires can make a difference too. My old tires were some michelin E rated street radials and they hopped like a SOB, my BFG MT's usually don't.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,759 Posts
235 is a short tire. But then again you have a 2wd truck. But a bigger tire is less likely to break loose.

The suspension could be a problem. Broken worn out leaf springs, bad shocks, hard compound rubber on the tires.

Rubber compound if it is a hard compound usually means the tires will last a long time. How ever they will not stick to the road. No matter if it is dry or wet or gravel road. If you have a low grade tire it maybe a poor rubber compound.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tires can make a difference too. My old tires were some michelin E rated street radials and they hopped like a SOB, my BFG MT's usually don't.
Oh maybe thats it. They seem like nice tires but I'll look online and figure it out.

235 is a short tire. But then again you have a 2wd truck. But a bigger tire is less likely to break loose.

The suspension could be a problem. Broken worn out leaf springs, bad shocks, hard compound rubber on the tires.

Rubber compound if it is a hard compound usually means the tires will last a long time. How ever they will not stick to the road. No matter if it is dry or wet or gravel road. If you have a low grade tire it maybe a poor rubber compound.
Thanks for the input. They are 235/85/16's

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just noticed that you're having issues on gravel and dirt. That's almost certainly shocks. I changed mine at about 30k miles because I had to use 4 wheel drive to get up the road to camp that my mother in-law could drive up with her Impala. I put a set of Rancho RS5000s on that lasted about 80k.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting.

As a matter of fact, just today I was accelerating thru a corner going to work (nothing hard core, just normal driving) and when my right tire hit a dirt patch it started wheel hopping and I wasn't even gunning it, just mildly accelerating!!

Where can I find rancho shocks for this and for how much?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I bought mine from our local speed shop (I like to support them) but I bet one of this sites sponsors (The Shock Warehouse perhaps?) would hook you up.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,272 Posts
Bilsteins are very nice. I have them on my truck, and i think my 3/4 ton truck rides better than my moms 04 exploder with 4 wheel independent suspension.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've never used Bilsteins on a truck but I've used a bunch of them on street rods and race cars. They make a quality product. I put the Ranchos on my truck because they're a good product and my local guy had them in stock at a good price when I needed them.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input guys I'm looking into all aspects.

Man shoot me, I was on a pretty steep grade today and trying to pull out into traffic. Not even hammering on the truck I tried pulling into traffic up this steep hill and this damn thing is wheel hopping like a sonova*****.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So what do you guys think of those KYB shocks on that page a few posts up? They are a good price and seem like good shocks.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^lol.

I went and jumped on the bed yesterday and with my 205lb *** jumping on it, it moved about 3" total.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.