Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Why do you NOT use WVO/SVO as fuel for your Powerstroke?

• Initial Cost/Expense

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Concern of Engine problems and vehicle reliability

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Availability of oil

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Time required to collect/filter

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Legal issues

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't handle the mess or not enough space for storage

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Previous negative experiance or know someone that had a bad experiance

• Quality of systems on the market

• Live in too cold of climate

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Don't want to hassle with startup and shutdown switching?

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
There will be people that come along that know way more than me with experience on the subject, however I feel that you will hear most about injector and fuel pump failures. 7.3s and 6.0s also react differently to WVO.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I run blended WVO with out any issues. I have about 30000 miles doing this. the blend has more WVO in the summer around 80%. I do change my fuel filter every second oil change. But as of now it has caused me no issues

·
Registered
275 Posts
If its done correctly and with attention to detail, WVO is fine. HOWEVER.. What kills it for me is start and purge with Diesel anyways, and the entirely "Secondary" System to run it through, which is why I make it into Biodiesel. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
im worried about the injectors in the 6.0L...my 5.9L 12V cummins, i poured st8 oil from the bottle in2 the truck...didnt worry about them...ran fine in that engine...but then again the injectors are different !!!

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
I would have been running your system 3 years ago. If it wasnt for the lack of retrievable oil in my area

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the thought Dave! So far I am kind of surprised, some pretty balanced responses. I really expected an overwhelming fear of engine damage. Years ago when i first started this I remember getting that a LOT. "WVO is guaranteed to ruin your engine". And sure enough, after making nearly 500hp for over 30,000 miles, my block finally split:dunno:. Darn WVO anyway:D

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Jeez we need a "check all that apply" setting on these polls!

It's initial cost, availability of oil, and storage space for me. :dunno:

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,057 Posts
Currently i dont have any room to store and process it. However you would think that start up and shut down procedures would be easy. You Warm up your truck like normal just remember to turn it on. You would think that you could get an adjustable turbo timer just turn your WVO off and let the turbo timer do the rest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts