Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 with the junk E40D (what was Ford thinking!) 226,xxx. Anyway i was leaving my buddy's house one evening, started it up to see that the od was blank and there was a slapping noise coming from the flywheel area. As i started moving i found out my speed o gauge was not moving and the OD tranny light was blinking. The truck has a new tranny with only about 5k on it, and its shifting hard! I just about fell over dead :dunno: So i drive the 10 miles to my house and let it sit. The next morning i check the tranny fluid and its a little too dark, not black but far from pink. So to the shop i go. I take off the flywheel cover and notice the darn starter gear is still engaged on the flywheel:doh::doh: So i put in a new starter and works the right way. No more slapping noise but the tranny is still shifting hard, but not slipping at all. I get the code checked and it comes up with 4 P0113 P0236 P0500 P0603. I know one is for the chip turned up.

Soooo,
Why do gauge clusters go bad. And why is it only the od display and speed o gauge? All the other gauges on the cluster work.

Why did the tranny fluid start to burn (it was pink as cold be before this happened)!! My only guess is that the starter was pulling it down and made the TC get hot :dunno::dunno:

Im going to get a new cluster and drop it in and see what that does.

thanks for any help:thumb:
Patrick

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump::bump:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:bump::bump:
come on guys

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just had my abs brake sensor in the rear end go bad and it did exactly what you are describing. The speedo didn't work and it sent the tranny into limp mode (when the od light blinks) which makes it shift like that. Is your abs light on? If it is....it's probably the sensor and not the gauge cluster. They usually don't go bad in my experience. I would try resetting the pcm to get rid of the codes and get the tranny out of limp mode. Just disconnect the batteries for a minute or so and hook them back up. It probably won't fix the speedo issue but it might get the tranny shifting smooth again. It has worked for me in the past. If not.....maybe someone else will come along with some more ideas. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no abs light on. i had the codes cleared and they came back on within seconds of starting it back up. did your engine light come on when this happened? because mine didnt, only the OD light blinking. but there was engine codes not just tranny codes:dunno::dunno: seams to me that the engine light would come on as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I only had the abs light on and the blinking overdrive light but no engine light. I believe there are two types of codes known as "hard" codes and "soft" codes. Hard codes will throw the check engine light but soft codes won't. So, if you are throwing soft codes, the cel won't necessarily come on. Somebody can correct me on this if I am wrong, but I think that is correct.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hard meaning worse problem and soft mean not as bad??

i just got a new gauge cluster from a buddy for a couple bucks. he said that if the od digital reading is blank then the cluster is deferentially bad. im not so sure if hes 100% correct, because i saw online that one of the VSS going bad can cause this to happen. we will see

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok the new cluster did to a thing, good or bad. so im going to replace the VSS on the tail shaft

·
Registered
102 Posts
Typically, hard codes are more serious, but it is more a function of what type of input is causing the error which is not necessarily a function of seriousness (from my understanding). Codes that are set by highly variable parameters tend to be "soft codes" because they often change and have a higher probablility of yielding an out of range reading that is just a fluke. Therefore, it makes sense to erase these codes when the computer is shut down to check for reacurrence upon startup, which is why the light does not always come on with these codes. Ya, my bet would be on the rear axle sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts