Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Transmission or Injectors
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed that there are a few people that are not real big fans of products from Banks. Is it just because it is expensive, or because it is junk?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
What he said. I don't like it that much because there is better/as good out there for the money. But maybe I'm cheap. Lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
i was looking at banks but on an obs you cant get much out of your mods w/o injectors but banks dosent make inj. for these trucks

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought mine w/all the Banks stuff w/it....I have had zero problems......

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
I have a Technicooler, and couldn't be happier with the fit and finish. I have had no problems out of it. You can just expect to pay more for Banks stuff. You can find similar/better parts cheaper, so shop around. For injectors, check out Rosewood.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i started from scratch and have never used banks but i have heard like bully dog that the chips and stuff had be harsh on your truck now dont quote me on that its just what i was told i have to opinion one way or the other

·
Registered
223 Posts
i think that you have to dig and really be into diesel tuning to know whos the best for each brand . When you walk into your local superstore performance store you see bullydog and edge and you see banks so they ask the guy at the counter whats the best ( and they lie) even in the mags you dont see a big SCT push or dp or TWM or EFI live for the duramax guys or the smarty for the dodge dudes really you have to do some real searching on the net to hear about this stuff or go to a real diesel performance shop to hear about it.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I've seen his son Colin post some pretty immature, rude things over on compdiesel.com. Zero character and no respect.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The biggest reason is that when guys dyno their trucks with all Banks stuff, they get really ticked of the lack of performance they actually had, for the ton of money they've spent. You can get a lot more power for a lot less money.
Having said that, I have the Banks intercooler pipe kit (not installed yet) and I think it's super high quality stuff.:thumb:

·
Registered
725 Posts
The biggest reason is that when guys dyno their trucks with all Banks stuff, they get really ticked of the lack of performance they actually had, for the ton of money they've spent. You can get a lot more power for a lot less money.
Having said that, I have the Banks intercooler pipe kit (not installed yet) and I think it's super high quality stuff.:thumb:
X2 what he said.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hard parts are top shelf, fit and finish has no peers. Having said that, their software (programs, pda's) just fool the trucks computer, they don't reprogram it. On top of that, while they're are fooling the engine computer, they're doing nothing for the trans. to up the pressures or whatever, and its very hard on the trans. The bottom line is if you can afford their hard parts, get them, because they're the best. But they need to leave the programming to the other guys (sct).

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
i think that you have to dig and really be into diesel tuning to know whos the best for each brand . When you walk into your local superstore performance store you see bullydog and edge and you see banks so they ask the guy at the counter whats the best ( and they lie) even in the mags you dont see a big SCT push or dp or TWM or EFI live for the duramax guys or the smarty for the dodge dudes really you have to do some real searching on the net to hear about this stuff or go to a real diesel performance shop to hear about it.
ill have to agree

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 96 came with a Banks system but I don't know all what it has and the previous owner doesn't remember what he had done. He bought it new and had the work done right after he bought it. He only put 36,000 miles on it. I just got this truck a couple weeks ago so I'm still trying to figure out what all has been done.

I know it has the following:

Intercooler-keeping this
Downpipe-keeping this
Transcommand-I want to get rid of this but not sure how
Banks chip? - How do I tell? I want to get rid of this too if I have it. Going to do TW
Exhaust Brake-Don't know if I like this or not

·
Registered
55 Posts
For the most part, I think it is the price. Even their pipes are significantly more than other brands. Their mods won't give you as much performance as others, but from every thing I've heard and read, their mods keep your engine within safe operating specs so you can expect normal engine life. Anyone with Banks out there that's had early engine failure?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used to manage a shop that was a big seller of Banks Product and quality wise its pretty good stuff. However alot of it is not targeted at customers who have an in depth knowledge of Diesel performance and powertrain dynamics. IMO and what I saw selling it was most people who bought did not know much about how a diesel engine or gas for that matter Makes power and how you should set up the fuel system to be most efficient. Most people I saw that bought it and were happy and enthralled with the seat of the pants feeling and not the dyno numbers and did not really care about dyno numbers. We sold tons of Six gun tuners for all makes of the big three. Case in point i sold the whole powerpack to guy with LLY duramax that pulled 4 horse living quaters trailer. He was upset becasue the truck would derate after spell of pulling his trailer on the 5th or 6th setting:doh:. However when I would set the six gun on 3 it would pull that trailer loaded no problem with lots of power. This guy though he did not even want me to explain why it was derating the output and did not care that EGt's were too high and tranny temp was too high on those settings to pull a heavy load. That is an example of many cases I saw with ford dodges and chevy's most were pretty ignorant what you would consider real diesel performance and did not care to learn other wise.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
My 95 has Banks Big Hoss and Transcommand. They were on it when I bought it 1 week ago. I have not put many miles on it at all. The stuff deffinatly gives the truck some life. I have driven stock 7.3's and there is no comparison. Having said that, i would not buy from Banks because there are way better options for cheaper. Having the Banks stuff already on it, I like it but am thinking of switching to DP or Tony Wildman when I get more $$$$.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If its an older IDI (like I have) I would only go with Banks....PSD, definetly shop around.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I used to manage a shop that was a big seller of Banks Product and quality wise its pretty good stuff. However alot of it is not targeted at customers who have an in depth knowledge of Diesel performance and powertrain dynamics. IMO and what I saw selling it was most people who bought did not know much about how a diesel engine or gas for that matter Makes power and how you should set up the fuel system to be most efficient. Most people I saw that bought it and were happy and enthralled with the seat of the pants feeling and not the dyno numbers and did not really care about dyno numbers. We sold tons of Six gun tuners for all makes of the big three. Case in point i sold the whole powerpack to guy with LLY duramax that pulled 4 horse living quaters trailer. He was upset becasue the truck would derate after spell of pulling his trailer on the 5th or 6th setting:doh:. However when I would set the six gun on 3 it would pull that trailer loaded no problem with lots of power. This guy though he did not even want me to explain why it was derating the output and did not care that EGt's were too high and tranny temp was too high on those settings to pull a heavy load. That is an example of many cases I saw with ford dodges and chevy's most were pretty ignorant what you would consider real diesel performance and did not care to learn other wise.
very well said.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts