Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am going to be purchasing a bullet proofed 2006 F250 6.0 in the near future and owner says that the EGR is deleted. Pro's and Con's to this. First time diesel owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok. Wondering why it's so popular. I dont think people are just wanting to break emission laws. Is it mentality or something?? Does it produce more black smoke out of the exhaust when bypassed/deleted??

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yup no cons besides possibly failing emissions... other than that everything is a plus including the engine lasting longer, engine running more efficiently or better mileage, more exhaust heat and energy to drive the turbo (some engines lose up to 70% of turbo drive energy with the use of an EGR system), more HP with more fresh air getting to the motor.

basically when you put an EGR system or any emissions system on a diesel engine .... The engine is going to hate its life.

On a side note I think Duramax is one the best at making these emission systems work without a lot of failures like some of the other companies constantly have. :)

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
heres the low down on the egrs for the 03-07 6.0s...

its a liquid based heat exchanging cooler.

you have a large tube filled with basically a bunch of small tubes. one set of tubes has hot exhaust gases running through it that are cooled by engine coolant running through the second set of tubes. sounds simple right??

the issue lies with the design of it... it has very small tubes that got clogged easily and could rupture allowing coolant and exhaust gases to mix this was very bad for any engine and particularly the 6.0. Most of the time the oil cooler would clog because Ford gold coolant would actually leave jelly type material floating around and it would clog the tubes with coolant running through it so your egr cooler would get so hot it ruptured.

a few designs came out with bigger tubes that in my eyes are the best way... you don't worry about breaking laws and getting your truck impounded. however...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
^ nice write up :)

·
Premium Member
871 Posts

·
Administrator
29,106 Posts
I don't agree with the EGR cooler clogging analogy myself
my take is the reason the EGR cooler on the 6.0 fails is because the oil cooler would start to clog on the coolant side and limit the coolant flow to the EGR cooler

what liquid did make it the the EGR cooler would flash boil and create pressures and stress that would cause the EGR cooler rupture

·
Administrator
29,106 Posts
thats what I have and honestly I wish I could run a full delete
I hate heating my coolant up in the EGR cooler

i just can't pass emissions with a tune in ( rpm's fluctuate at WOT for the snap idle
and I can't run stock with a delete ( CEL)

but I am going to come up with a solution before I do my head gaskets again I don't think I will have any exhaust flowing thru my BPD EGR cooler when I am done
and coincidentally I have my cluster out and thats where the CEL bulb is Hmmmmm

lol

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
my take is the reason the EGR cooler on the 6.0 fails is because the oil cooler would start to clog on the coolant side and limit the coolant flow to the EGR cooler

what liquid did make it the the EGR cooler would flash boil and create pressures and stress that would cause the EGR cooler rupture

I didn't mention the oil cooler normally being the actual problem with most egr coolers for simplicity. however in the Air Force We had MANY 6.0 tug trucks that in addition the the clogged oil cooler the egr cooler coolant tubes were caked! The Air force wouldn't approve bulletproof egr coolers since they weren't manufacture and we even submitted numerous write ups about how much down time and money they would save since we had like 40 of them... I have pulled quite a few completely clogged egr coolers with and without clogged oil coolers.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I see thanks for that anomaly clarification

Man a EGR on a TUG what a great plan LOL
Just kick her while shes down LMAO

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
ya it was a pretty ingenious plan.. plus they idled a lot so a lot of caked turbo and sticky veins... we would flush and flush and flush and then got sad when we had to fill up with Ford Gold all the time :crying:

I did enjoy getting authorization to take them off base once a month to really hammer the throttle and clear everything up though. I took the wing commander with me on a ride to demonstrate the poor performance of a truck that idled all the time and he was sold after that but the drives once a month only helped so much.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Delete if you can if not get BPD EGR and a tuner when inspection time comes around return to stock and drive a 100ish miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Would it be better to always replace the oil cooler at the same time you delete the EGR, or is that usually not necessary/depends on the truck? Bunch of places i've looked at have combos but it's hard to know if they're just trying to move more product or if it's actually a better idea

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
It depend on the truck if the delta is well in the green then I wouldn't if it's a little on the high side to replacement side I would.

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
Would it be better to always replace the oil cooler at the same time you delete the EGR, or is that usually not necessary/depends on the truck? Bunch of places i've looked at have combos but it's hard to know if they're just trying to move more product or if it's actually a better idea
If you replace the oil cooler the only options worth doing is BPD air/oil or stick with OEM, do not use an aftermarket liquid oil cooler. You can move the OEM cooler with IPR or BPD relocation kit just use the OEM cooler in it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts