Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not trying to bash anyone. Just want to satisfy a curiosity. I have only heard negative things about 6.4s and when I was shopping for a diesel between the big 3 everyone said stay away from the Navistar unless it's a 7.3L engine. So why do so many still tolerate the 6.4 with all the issues. I just read the "Official 6.4 Guide" by @RandomForumGuy and man I came away with the feeling that he both loved and hated the thing. Kinda like the crazy one that you know you should let go but keep letting her back in. I mean people still buy them. So I want to hear from you guys why the truck remains popular...

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
Some people are gluttons for punishment is all I can think. I made the mistake ONE TIME not researching a vehicle before I bought one. My very 6.0L. A 2006 F350 King ranch.
The dealer honored a written warranty was the only thing that saved me.

I usually always research common problems and if I can put up with it or there is a fix I may take a chance if it meets my needs but man when I was very new to 6.0Ls it hurt lol.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
They are easy to get a lot of power out of and they get good fuel mileage when deleted. However you have to keep a close eye on things and maintain them religiously or it will get real expensive real quick, and they aren't a long lasting 400K+ engine like a 7.3. Most 6.4 won't make it to 200K without needing some engine work done the bottom end is strong but the valvetrain is weak.

Reactions: Work Truck Fanatic

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
They are a nice truck. Still are in a lot of ways. At the very least, even with the DPF there is no DEF system. They ride nice, pull nice, lots of power in their day etc etc. I wouldn’t want one for working it today, or in remote locations, I just wouldn’t completely trust it, knowing what we know today.

But....

I figure its a truck with an engine problem that may or may not go 100k miles, or 200k miles, or however many. And when it finally imploded and ate itself as they are prone to do, I would just put another one in and carry on.

Depends on your view point. I just like them. I like trucks. For a daily driver, and local personal ‘working’ truck, I like them.

It’s kinda like a 6.0, you just know at some point they are going to have issues too... from what I’ve seen, you can put an awful lot of money into a 6.0.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really like the look of the 6.4 and everyone said they are fun to drive. I just don't have the patience or time for the maintenance issues and don't want to spend the money on a new motor. I have never seen any with high mileage on the original motor but there has to be some out there.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I’ve had my 08 F350 for 10 yrs now. It’s had more than it’s fair share of problems and I’ve got the receipts to prove it. Once it was deleted (egr and dpf) and tuned it was a good strong truck- for a while. It rode nice, made good power, but man once you get in deep you feel like you don’t want to give up. It got studded last year finally- after both head gaskets going. It’s had one good year since. We’ll see. I’d say I’ve just been mostly stupid, but I built just like I want it and it’s hard to give up on your investment.
I’d go newer today if I could swing it- no more 6.4.

08’ F350 6.4, LB, CC, King Ranch, 8” lift, 37” K3’s, lockers ft/rr, 4:55’s, hydraulic ram- assist w/redhead box, studded, deleted, spartan tuner, SS straight pipe, CAI, so much more...

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I love my 6.4. I have had it for about 4 years now, got it with 78k and now it has 126k. The only problems i had that were not my own doing were an alternator, body mounts, track bar bushing, and a seat adjustment switch. As soon as i got it i deleted it and changed every fluid it had, plus a few of my own mods. I love the power 6.4's have when deleted and how spot on the transmission is. I get alright mpg but i cant complain since i have 37's and about 2,000 pounds of extra weight at all times. Most see around 20 when deleted on stock wheels and weight which is pretty amazing for a diesel nowadays, plus you have to love no def system. What i dont like about the 6.4 is the tight engine bay, increased maintenance schedule, and some poor design flaws like body mounts, radiator bracing, oil cooler and etc. I tackled all those areas before they became a problem so i never had to deal with it.

I think a majority of what you see is problem stories with the 6.4 on forums because if you dont have a problem, then why would anyone get on a forum in the first place. People dont realize this and all the stories become a false summary of the 6.4. Im not saying the 6.4 doesnt have problems and weak points either, but to me it seems these weaknesses come out to play when people do minimum maintenance and go full throttle all the time like they are mustangs. They think since they are diesels, they are designed to be beaten on and that isnt the case, and i think you are also seeing some of that on the forums as well. Many here will probably disagree, but that is just my take away opinion from being in the 6.4 department for a couple years now.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I love my 6.4. I have had it for about 4 years now, got it with 78k and now it has 126k. The only problems i had that were not my own doing were an alternator, body mounts, track bar bushing, and a seat adjustment switch. As soon as i got it i deleted it and changed every fluid it had, plus a few of my own mods. I love the power 6.4's have when deleted and how spot on the transmission is. I get alright mpg but i cant complain since i have 37's and about 2,000 pounds of extra weight at all times. Most see around 20 when deleted on stock wheels and weight which is pretty amazing for a diesel nowadays, plus you have to love no def system. What i dont like about the 6.4 is the tight engine bay, increased maintenance schedule, and some poor design flaws like body mounts, radiator bracing, oil cooler and etc. I tackled all those areas before they became a problem so i never had to deal with it.

I think a majority of what you see is problem stories with the 6.4 on forums because if you dont have a problem, then why would anyone get on a forum in the first place. People dont realize this and all the stories become a false summary of the 6.4. Im not saying the 6.4 doesnt have problems and weak points either, but to me it seems these weaknesses come out to play when people do minimum maintenance and go full throttle all the time like they are mustangs. They think since they are diesels, they are designed to be beaten on and that isnt the case, and i think you are also seeing some of that on the forums as well. Many here will probably disagree, but that is just my take away opinion from being in the 6.4 department for a couple years now.

Very true.

No one shows up at the coffee shop in the morning and says “hey, my old ford fired right up this morning.”

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Agree with all the above. I still like how they look and the power they make, just have to know what you're buying if you're buying used and should expect the worst, anything other than that is good luck. After my first 6.0 got totaled, the amount of money I got from insurance I could have probably put towards a 6.7 at the time, but I knew the 6.0 at that point, knew what I needed to do to make it reliable to my standards and bought a 2nd one, and did it all over again.

It comes down to personal preference, even today if I had some spare cash, I'd buy a 6.0 all over again, and do what I did to my first 2 no problem. Why? Because I still like how they look, there's more information on them to make them more successful than when I had my 2 and you can get non studded ones for reasonably prices around here.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love my 6.4. I have had it for about 4 years now, got it with 78k and now it has 126k. What i dont like about the 6.4 is the tight engine bay, increased maintenance schedule, and some poor design flaws like body mounts, radiator bracing, oil cooler and etc. I tackled all those areas before they became a problem so i never had to deal with it.

I think a majority of what you see is problem stories with the 6.4 on forums because if you dont have a problem, then why would anyone get on a forum in the first place. They think since they are diesels, they are designed to be beaten on and that isnt the case, and i think you are also seeing some of that on the forums as well.
Yeah Forum Bias is a big problem, sort of like online reviews. Most don't write in to say "This is the best toaster out there!" And any car will die if beaten on too hard.

It comes down to personal preference, even today if I had some spare cash, I'd buy a 6.0 all over again, and do what I did to my first 2 no problem. Why? Because I still like how they look, there's more information on them to make them more successful than when I had my 2 and you can get non studded ones for reasonably prices around here.
To be honest, I have seen more people claim success with the 6.0 and that maybe to do with the fact that they have been around longer. I though about looking for a bullet proofed 6.0 but didn't want to hassle myself verifying the work or to take the time to do it myself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ve had my 09 since 2013. I deleted and all the other good stuff right away. So far it’s been a great truck. It pulls my 5th wheel,
and skid steer like a champ. I don’t beat on it all the time, however I do at times. I change the oil and fuel filters every 5k or 6 months which ever comes first. It is not my daily driver. The only problems I’ve had are the body mount bushings. I replaced them and have been good to go.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've had my 08 for over 10 years now. I deleted it at 40K miles and it hasn't given me any trouble since ( other than the stupid body mounts ,but that's not unique to the 6.4 trucks). I do maintain it religiously though. The reason I still have mine and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon is because it's PAID OFF, and still does everything I need it to do.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ve had my 09 since 2013. I deleted and all the other good stuff right away. So far it’s been a great truck. It pulls my 5th wheel, and skid steer like a champ. I don’t beat on it all the time, however I do at times.
I've seen some get down the road and they sound nice and get going quick!

I've had my 08 for over 10 years now. I deleted it at 40K miles and it hasn't given me any trouble since ( other than the stupid body mounts ,but that's not unique to the 6.4 trucks). I do maintain it religiously though. The reason I still have mine and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon is because it's PAID OFF, and still does everything I need it to do.
That's the best reason to keep a truck! I plan on keeping my truck long term even though the 10 speed sounds nice.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I too love my F450 4x4 6.4...i got rid of all the bullcrap that was on it, let it breath....fixed the well known probs, maintain it religously, and use it to pull my big azz toyhauler. Reasonable tune, watch the egts and trans temps, basically take good care of it. 169k w nothing out of the ordinary....rocker arms, delete, up-pipes, body mounts, front cover....bout it. I will run it until rebuild needed, then pull the engine and w a 3k rebuild kit do it all over again. If maint is an issue for you then you dont need to have a diesel anything to begin with. Paid for is a big one...why would i get a replacement at $75k and have a second near house payment just to have a good truck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will run it until rebuild needed, then pull the engine and w a 3k rebuild kit do it all over again. If maint is an issue for you then you dont need to have a diesel anything to begin with. Paid for is a big one...why would i get a replacement at $75k and have a second near house payment just to have a good truck.
I like paid off also. Many post that as the reason to keep. For those who upgrade, many say the tech and stock power gains are the reason which I think are valid. But you can't beat 3K for basically a new engine.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts