Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
LORD OF WAR
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says...want to hear from those that have done the mishimoto radiator. Planning my next project and I was thinking about this. Mine isn't leaking but I figure why wait. Anyone have any first hand input on these?

·
'consent of the governed'
5,667 Posts
Do a search. There have been problems with the 6.7 offering. But I think all radiators are having trouble with the 6.7.

Edit: It was the 6.4 Free bump

·
Registered
26 Posts
I installed a mishimoto radiator after I ran into issues with my factory rad and Ford wouldn't cover it under warranty. My water pump went at the same time but Ford covered that under warranty.

Because I was heading out of the country and I needed the truck immediately after I returned, I brought the truck into a local shop to install so it was waiting for me when I got back into the country, therefore I can't speak to the install part of it, however the shop owner indicated he ran into no issues and it was a routine rad install as far as he was concern.

The rad and install was cheaper than what the local Ford shops wanted for another POS factory rad.

I've put over 50,000 km since the install and I have had no issues. The temps run slightly cooler than factory, however I don't haul for long periods but when I do haul its very heavy loads for short trips.

At the time it was my first Mishimoto product purchase.

Hope this helps

Cheers

·
LORD OF WAR
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody running mishimotos synthetic chill coolant? I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on this radiator

·
Supporting Vendor
761 Posts
Like the title says...want to hear from those that have done the mishimoto radiator. Planning my next project and I was thinking about this. Mine isn't leaking but I figure why wait. Anyone have any first hand input on these?
Sorry to hear about the failure of your stock radiator. Although not as common as the 6.4L trucks, the 6.7L models do indeed see somewhat frequent radiator failure. Let me know if I can answer any questions about our aluminum counterpart!

Do a search. There have been problems with the 6.7 offering. But I think all radiators are having trouble with the 6.7.

Edit: It was the 6.4 Free bump
Correct, the 6.4L radiator was quite an extensive project for us. Over time, we found that our first iteration solved radiator failure concerns for a majority of customers. That being said, some of our customers were still seeing failure even after switching to our product. We performed some additional R&D and came up with a revised design which has been very successful. We strengthened our core design and replaced the upper mounting points with a rubber component. This provided additional isolation to deal with flex attributed to the 6.4L chassis. After substantial development, we are very pleased with our current iteration of this radiator, as well as our 6.7L unit. Both are performing very well in terms of cooling efficiency and reliability.

Did mine at 120000kms truck stays cooler pulling. I would like one for the secondary system now
Great to hear! Thanks for running our radiator.

I installed a mishimoto radiator after I ran into issues with my factory rad and Ford wouldn't cover it under warranty. My water pump went at the same time but Ford covered that under warranty.

Because I was heading out of the country and I needed the truck immediately after I returned, I brought the truck into a local shop to install so it was waiting for me when I got back into the country, therefore I can't speak to the install part of it, however the shop owner indicated he ran into no issues and it was a routine rad install as far as he was concern.

The rad and install was cheaper than what the local Ford shops wanted for another POS factory rad.

I've put over 50,000 km since the install and I have had no issues. The temps run slightly cooler than factory, however I don't haul for long periods but when I do haul its very heavy loads for short trips.

At the time it was my first Mishimoto product purchase.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Thanks for the feedback! Nice to hear you are enjoying the radiator.

-John

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bringing this one back from the dead.
Just bought a '12 6.7 and the radiator is leaking in the usual spot. Shocking, I know.

Like everyone else, I wanna do this radiator swap ONCE. From what I've read here, there, and everywhere; it seems most issues with the Mishimoto were related to the early generation for the 6.4.

Hoping someone with more recent experience, with the new version for 6.7, will chime in with the good or bad.

Mishimoto?? ......

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are there any plans for a secondary radiator or radiator hoses like you offer for the previous years in red, blue, black etc?

·
Registered
13 Posts
any future products in works?

Are there any plans for a secondary radiator or radiator hoses for 6.7 powerstroke??? like you offer for the previous years in red, blue, black etc?

Sorry to hear about the failure of your stock radiator. Although not as common as the 6.4L trucks, the 6.7L models do indeed see somewhat frequent radiator failure. Let me know if I can answer any questions about our aluminum counterpart!

Correct, the 6.4L radiator was quite an extensive project for us. Over time, we found that our first iteration solved radiator failure concerns for a majority of customers. That being said, some of our customers were still seeing failure even after switching to our product. We performed some additional R&D and came up with a revised design which has been very successful. We strengthened our core design and replaced the upper mounting points with a rubber component. This provided additional isolation to deal with flex attributed to the 6.4L chassis. After substantial development, we are very pleased with our current iteration of this radiator, as well as our 6.7L unit. Both are performing very well in terms of cooling efficiency and reliability.

Great to hear! Thanks for running our radiator.

Thanks for the feedback! Nice to hear you are enjoying the radiator.

-John

·
Supporting Vendor
761 Posts
6.7 Radiator

Hey guys!

Sorry for the delay!

As for the Primary 6.7 Radiator, we have seen a couple leaks in the past, as you would assume with anything when you make a huge production run of a product. However, since I have been her over a year ago I have not seen more then a handful. It definitely cools a lot better then the stock radiator and has a better flow of coolant. Which of course If you ever have a leak we do have a lifetime warranty and can get that replaced for you in as little as 3 to 4 days with out the old one having to be taken out!

For the 6.7 Secondary Radiator, that is something that we are very interested in putting more research into. Just at this time, we do not have a frame of when we would start researching that. I am sorry about that!

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

~Sammyy :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hey guys!

Sorry for the delay!

As for the Primary 6.7 Radiator, we have seen a couple leaks in the past, as you would assume with anything when you make a huge production run of a product. However, since I have been her over a year ago I have not seen more then a handful. It definitely cools a lot better then the stock radiator and has a better flow of coolant. Which of course If you ever have a leak we do have a lifetime warranty and can get that replaced for you in as little as 3 to 4 days with out the old one having to be taken out!

For the 6.7 Secondary Radiator, that is something that we are very interested in putting more research into. Just at this time, we do not have a frame of when we would start researching that. I am sorry about that!

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

~Sammyy :)
I appreciate the reply. It inspires more confidence in a product when the manufacturer spends time listening and communicating with the folks who intend to use it.

I do have some questions I was hoping a Mishimoto rep, such as yourself, could answer....

From what I've been told, when you guys do a warranty replacement on a radiator you ask the user some questions regarding the vehicle's use prior to the unit failure (off-roading, street driving, towing, other performance parts, etc...)

Wondering if you would be able to share some of that data with the powerstroke.org community, more specifically me .

Based on the data, does it seem a higher % of failures are those in trucks used for off-roading, or towing, etc. I'm inclined to think there's some sort of pattern seen with the failures, rather than completely at random; some fail, some don't sort of thing.

With that kind of info it may be easier for us powerstroke guys to feel more comfortable about a purchase based on what we plan to do with the truck, rather than feeling, as I do, playing a game of radiator roulette.

Thanks again for the help.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, it looks like I'll be going on my 3rd Mishi radiator. Just noticed the drip under the passenger side yesterday AM. Can see the wet running down the frame. Stock ~40k miles, Mishi #1 ~22k miles, Mishi #2 - ~7k miles. Sure, it'll only cost about a $100 to ship the warranty replacement, but for some reason it doesn't change itself.

No off-roading, only highway and city miles. Since I've put #2 in, I've only done a little bit of travel with the 3000lbs camper, maybe 600 miles. Other than that, normal driving.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Well, it looks like I'll be going on my 3rd Mishi radiator. Just noticed the drip under the passenger side yesterday AM. Can see the wet running down the frame. Stock ~40k miles, Mishi #1 ~22k miles, Mishi #2 - ~7k miles. Sure, it'll only cost about a $100 to ship the warranty replacement, but for some reason it doesn't change itself.

No off-roading, only highway and city miles. Since I've put #2 in, I've only done a little bit of travel with the 3000lbs camper, maybe 600 miles. Other than that, normal driving.
You're scaring me, i just put a Mishimoto radiator about 2.5 month ago

·
Registered
155 Posts
Someone over on FTE is going (or maybe already there) on his 3rd. At least they aren't catastrophic failures. Long slow lingering drips, does get more over time. Really don't understand why some trucks have the problem and others don't. Seems once a leaker, always a leaker. I didn't get to look at the factory radiator where it was leaking from, but Mishi #1 was leaking right at the tank where the tubes enter it, towards the top. Both sides too. Can't see on this one where yet without tearing it apart. I don't think it's off-road use otherwise the drillers and farm guys would be having a lot of the problems, they beat the crap out of those trucks and the company's would really beat on Ford about the failures. I would think Mishi can figure out how to weld the tubes into the tank, they've been building high performance radiators for years and it's not a problem with other designs (is it?). Outside of the truck there's nothing special about the radiator, it's big (and expensive, and a pain in the A$$ to change) but why the consistent problems. Looking at how it's supported doesn't seem like that would be the problem. Maybe there's some Dodge mole working on the assembly line putting some voodoo curse on a few as they go by.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well, the dribble that I've had since April on my second Mishi radiator (started after only 3 months) has finally gotten pretty consistent. Started the process to get it replaced via warranty today. So happy that I get to pay another $100 for the shipping and of course the hassle of changing the radiator again and all the associated costs. Should have stayed with the stock one...

·
Registered
155 Posts
No, I haven't pulled it yet. Mishi wouldn't accept the pictures of the coolant dripping down the side tank as proof of the radiator leaking. They will only accept pictures of the leak area itself, which means it has to be pulled out. They are willing to ship me one to change out (shipping costs on me of course), and then I can send them the pictures. If I don't do that within 30 days, and/or they don't accept, then they charge me full retail price. As I get to change this out in my driveway, being Seattle, this is not the time of year that you want to do that so I'm going to wait for spring when I can hopefully have a better window of opportunity for weather. Until then I keep it topped off and mark my spot everywhere I park.

The last one wasn't on a weld, and I don't think this one is either. The last one was where the fins entered the tank, ended up with leaks on both drivers and passengers sides, so far this one seems to be on the passenger side.

I may just go ahead and get another replacement radiator form a local rebuilder. As you have to pay for shipping each time from Mishi and go through the hassle of them accepting that their radiators seem to be crap and not last as long as a stock one, at least I can deal with it locally.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts