Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a SCT tuner soon.... who makes the best tunes... I have heard Tony Wildman, Innovation diesel, and quick tricks? any input?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Pretty sure Wildman just tunes the 7.3. As for the 6.0, Gearhead, Elite, IDP, Quick tricks, all good. Personally I have Gearhead and love them.

·
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!
6,471 Posts
Matt from Gearhead Automotive Performance! Hands Down!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Tony Wildman makes tunes for the 6.0. I have heard really good things about them too. Pm him he may let you try them out. They are priced right too.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Matts tunes are great and he also has very good service.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Pretty sure Wildman just tunes the 7.3. As for the 6.0, Gearhead, Elite, IDP, Quick tricks, all good. Personally I have Gearhead and love them.
Well then I better figure out where I got the Wildman 6.0 tunes from:hehe:

Yes Tony tunes 6.0s

But you cant go wrong with any of the tuners mentioned here.

But Im gonna add Bill at PHP to the mix as well:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Matt @ Gearhead Automotive fan here. I have the SRL, 8K Tow, & Unlimited Tow in my F250 and just acquired the same for the wife's new (to her) Excursion. Can't wait to get home Thursday to tune the eX !

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Matt at Gearhead Automotive and Eric at Innovative Diesel seem to be the favorites. I am happy with my tunes from Eric, but am wanting to try Matt's.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Matt @ Gearhead Automotive fan here. I have the SRL, 8K Tow, & Unlimited Tow in my F250 and just acquired the same for the wife's new (to her) Excursion. Can't wait to get home Thursday to tune the eX !
Hiya, just wondering if you'd had a chance to load those tunes on your wife's Ex yet? What year is hers, and how did it work out for you? I'm thinking about going down the same route, has anything been done to her truck (studs, etc) to run those tunes, or are they fine for a stock truck?

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Go for it. Run em in the stock truck:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Excellent stock vehicle tune

Hiya, just wondering if you'd had a chance to load those tunes on your wife's Ex yet? What year is hers, and how did it work out for you? I'm thinking about going down the same route, has anything been done to her truck (studs, etc) to run those tunes, or are they fine for a stock truck?
I have been running Matt's tunes in the eX for a week now. The truck runs great with the SRL tune. We have 0 mods done to the eX. It is an '05 model. We used the 8k Tow tune Sunday to haul my Mustang in a 8 x 20 inclosed trailer and it handled it with no issues. I have been running his SRL tune in my F250 for about a year now and all it has is a EGR delete

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I have been running Matt's tunes in the eX for a week now. The truck runs great with the SRL tune. We have 0 mods done to the eX. It is an '05 model. We used the 8k Tow tune Sunday to haul my Mustang in a 8 x 20 inclosed trailer and it handled it with no issues. I have been running his SRL tune in my F250 for about a year now and all it has is a EGR delete
Sweet! Mine is an 05 as well, haven't done any engine mods, not sure how many I could get away with as I have the 5 yr. extended factory warranty. I may go to my regular dealer and discuss some of the mods I am considering, like a turbo back stainless exhaust, EGR delete, and maybe a bullet proof oil cooler. We'll have to see what their thoughts are on that one. Last thing I need to decide is where to buy the tuner, it is cheaper to find it on fleabay and buy his tunes, or to buy it from his shop? I see that the big 3 tuners each sell them for $425, but I've found them for a bit less than that, well below $400. How did you buy yours? I plan on pulling the trigger this week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sweet! Mine is an 05 as well, haven't done any engine mods, not sure how many I could get away with as I have the 5 yr. extended factory warranty. I may go to my regular dealer and discuss some of the mods I am considering, like a turbo back stainless exhaust, EGR delete, and maybe a bullet proof oil cooler. We'll have to see what their thoughts are on that one. Last thing I need to decide is where to buy the tuner, it is cheaper to find it on fleabay and buy his tunes, or to buy it from his shop? I see that the big 3 tuners each sell them for $425, but I've found them for a bit less than that, well below $400. How did you buy yours? I plan on pulling the trigger this week.
I found the LiveWire for my F250 on ModularFords.com for around $350 and the X3 for the eX on fleabay for $250. The Mustang forums is a great place to find them. If I were to do it again, I would choose the Bullet Proof EGR over the delete. Especially seeing as you have warranty.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
This is me yelling at you to get the point across, BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, GET GAUGES/MONITOR SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!

You will need to check the temps/psi/volts mentioned in this link, you need to be sure the motor is healthy. Parts and repairs can get very expensive if you ignor what's going on with your truck.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-tech-files/173767-things-consider-about-owning-6-0l.html

After you have gauges/monitor solution, here's what to look for when buying a used SCT. When the person who is selling the SCT offers it with custom tunes already on it, be very careful!! Some of the trucks strategies and different year trucks won't accept other strategies, you may end up with a locked out truck (no start, tow to dealer for reflash $150+ tow bill). You might be able to have the seller knock down some of the price off the SCT because you can't use there custom tunes.

Here is what to look for when buying a used SCT.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...603-what-look-when-buying-used-sct-6-0-a.html

Here is where SCT explains the issues with using someone else's tunes on your truck.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/sct-flash/192090-sct-device-questions-answers.html

·
Registered
640 Posts
SRL tune FTW!!!

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Lilpooh, sorry I hadn't updated my sig, I have the Edge Insight CTS for gauges, and my ECT/EOT are within about 2-3 degrees. I'll read your links about purchasing a tuner and the best tunes for my truck, thanks for the helpful info.

05HD01380, why do you say you'd rather have done the update over the delete? I would have thought that getting that part of the system removed would improve overall performance of the engine, not putting back hot exhaust into the the intake would improve the efficiency of it, but I'm not an engineer so I wouldn't know for sure about that. I would also think that getting rid of it would then have one less thing to fail/maintain? Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts