Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you run the factory liner on it? And will it hurt anything to run the cowl hood with no liner at all? Seems like a waste to have a cowl hood that can't function because of the huge factory liner/pad.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
My '05 Ex did not come with a hood liner. It's just used for sound deadening.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I have a ram air hood and no blanket. Mine doesn't even have the spots to clip it on. Some of the later year 05-07 I believe didn't even have the blanket on the factory hood.

Dik

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
My 07 doesnt have the liner..Youd think the newer ones would..but mine doesnt.

·
Registered
472 Posts
How can you have a functional cowl hood on a turbo diesel? Move the airbox to the cowl area of the truck below the windshield? Don't see that happening.

Lets be realistic and say it's just for looks. ;)

No harm will be done without the liner.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i think they make kits to force the air to your intake. and i guess it would still cool the engine:dunno:

·
Registered
472 Posts
If anything the hot air is gonna come in. There will be a high pressure area at the base of the windshield.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
My '05 Ex doesn't have one either, was a fairly stripped down version, and man, it sounds like an 18 wheeler when it's running. I wish I had a liner, or something to tone it down a little. That was something I planned on looking into in the not too distant future. Crossfire, I see in your profile you're also in MN, where you located, and what do you plan on doing with it when you pull it out? ;)

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Hopefully the one that goes on the underside of the hood for sound deadening? Mine didn't have it, but it sounds like Crossfire's did. And my truck could sure use anything it could get to quiet it down a little. So if he was just going to yank it and toss it, well... :D

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
IIRC, under the hood liners were only put on the '03-'04 trucks.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Bummer, wonder if there's a way to make his fit, if it's available? And, would it make much of a difference?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hopefully the one that goes on the underside of the hood for sound deadening? Mine didn't have it, but it sounds like Crossfire's did. And my truck could sure use anything it could get to quiet it down a little. So if he was just going to yank it and toss it, well... :D
Haha, I could probably get mine into your direction, I am located in Andover, about 30 miles north of the Twin Cities. And yes it is the thick "blanket" liner the goes on the underside of the hood for sound deadening. Im going to pull it off today. If you do want it, make sure your hood will accept it

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have an '07 and I added the hood liner a couple of years ago to quiet it down some. The liner from the '04 earlier models is the same, I ordered it from my local dealer. It did quiet it down some.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Haha, I could probably get mine into your direction, I am located in Andover, about 30 miles north of the Twin Cities. And yes it is the thick "blanket" liner the goes on the underside of the hood for sound deadening. Im going to pull it off today. If you do want it, make sure your hood will accept it
I'm pretty sure it would accept it, would I need to get some of those mushroom clips from Tousley to hold it on with, or did yours come out without being destroyed. I am sure looking forward to quieting this thing down a little, it truly does sound like a semi.. :dunno: Is it sort of flexible, so it could roll up without damaging it, or is it pretty rigid and needs to be carried flat? Let me know, as I would like to get it if you don't want/need it any longer. Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm pretty sure it would accept it, would I need to get some of those mushroom clips from Tousley to hold it on with, or did yours come out without being destroyed. I am sure looking forward to quieting this thing down a little, it truly does sound like a semi.. :dunno: Is it sort of flexible, so it could roll up without damaging it, or is it pretty rigid and needs to be carried flat? Let me know, as I would like to get it if you don't want/need it any longer. Thanks!
Most of the clips are good, but of course i did drop a couple into the engine bay. No, its not flexible at all, if you roll it up, the fibers like to crack and pull apart. I wont need it anymore

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Most of the clips are good, but of course i did drop a couple into the engine bay. No, its not flexible at all, if you roll it up, the fibers like to crack and pull apart. I wont need it anymore
Ok, cool, I will have to drive up there and pick it up & just install it in the Ex right there, as opposed as to picking it up in my little work truck since it has to stay flat. I really appreciate it, and hope it makes a bit of difference on the noise. I will take a listen to yours just to see if mine is abnormally noisy or if it has the normal 6.0 diesel engine sound. I'll pm you about this, thanks!

Oh, how many clips should I pick up from Tousley?

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
After removing mine, I didn't notice a noise difference. I did notice a quieter motor after using 2cyl oil, 1oz per gallon of fuel.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
After removing mine, I didn't notice a noise difference. I did notice a quieter motor after using 2cyl oil, 1oz per gallon of fuel.
Lilpooh, can you please elaborate a little more on this? Every time I start it or drive by, the neighbors who are outside look up (and wave), it is that loud. They are all good folk, but it is a little embarrassing. I knew that a diesel was louder than a gasser when I bought it, but this seems a little more than normal, so looking for anything to tone it down safely. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts