Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a weird problem going on once in a great while. i know white smoke is a really bad thing with diesel but i have now 8000 something miles on my truck and three times now when im on the high way and get on it sometimes white smoke will come out and then the truck is fine. it did it once before i even put my dpf delete on or did the chip. and it did it for the third time today and the truck runs fine still. so i dunno wat is causing can any of you guys relate or help me out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
In my own situations there have been two causes of white smoke. First is the white regen smoke when the exhaust system is not up to temp. Usually burns off after a mile or less. I watch all the regens on a livewire, and every time, there is at least SOME white smoke when it starts. Usually very little in hotter weather.

The other situation (only happened to me once but heard others complain of it on another forum) involves the air filter and it possibly becoming saturated with water (and/or possibly a sensor or something intake related). In a very heavy rain storm, I had driven for about an hour at a steady 50mph in torrential rain and very saturated roads. I had to slow down to go around a ramp to get onto the next road... and upon acceleration, the power was just NOT there. Looking back in my rear view, I was fogging the road with heavy white smoke and it was NOT in regen (according to the livewire). Lifting off of the pedal and getting back on seemed to help it. It ran like it wanted to keep doing that on heavy accel (50% or more throttle), for the rest of the day. The next day, after the monsoon was done, it was fine. Has never done it since.

Not sure if that helps you try to determine what is going on, but just figured I'd share.

·
Registered
659 Posts
the truck is in regen mode when you are seing the white smoke its normal and nothing you can change , its supposed to do that
why is it supposed to do that.

·
Registered
659 Posts
diesels are not supposed to smoke white unless they are cold period.i dont know if ford told you that bull **** but believe it is not normal.

·
Registered
542 Posts
the truck is in regen mode when you are seing the white smoke its normal and nothing you can change , its supposed to do that
Very true, but that is not the ONLY time they do it. The Livewire has proven that to me on one occasion with a possibly saturated air filter or something related, in the heavy rain situation. The filter minder did NOT trip either, which seems odd if that were the case. Every OTHER white smoke event that I've had has been a regen. I run the livewire as a monitor every day.

·
Registered
542 Posts
why is it supposed to do that.
It's been said on another forum that a possible reason for the white smoke is a DOC that is not up to temp yet. When the truck enters the regen cycle and the raw fuel is dumped into the exhaust stroke, it is supposed to hit a hot DOC (the thing in front of the DPF) and ignite, burning the DPF out. If the DOC is not hot enough, the fuel does not ignite and you see it coming out the back.

I've gotten the MOST white smoke when the truck was driven and warmed up right BEFORE it wanted to regen, but shut off (just by chance, NOT during the regen). When its started and driven again, the engine comes up to temp very quickly (since it already was from a previous trip) but the exhaust has had just enough time to cool. The regen starts up and he smoke only lasts for a mile or less.

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
diesels are not supposed to smoke white unless they are cold period.i dont know if ford told you that bull **** but believe it is not normal.
when a 6.4 goes into regen mode to clean out the dpf i have seen several smoke white , blue, black whatever , im not gona argue about it , thats is something they will do ,depending on the amount of contaminates in dpf depends on what it does during regeneration process, and ford hasnt told me anything , that is what i see and hear from 6.4 customers

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
Very true, but that is not the ONLY time they do it. The Livewire has proven that to me on one occasion with a possibly saturated air filter or something related, in the heavy rain situation. The filter minder did NOT trip either, which seems odd if that were the case. Every OTHER white smoke event that I've had has been a regen. I run the livewire as a monitor every day.
i can see that also, i have just not personaly seen or had any complaints of a saturated air filter from water , im sure the original poster would appreciate all the info he can get:thumb:

·
Registered
542 Posts
i can see that also, i have just not personaly seen or had any complaints of a saturated air filter from water , im sure the original poster would appreciate all the info he can get:thumb:
There were a few others on The Diesel Stop that chimed in on it as well. Just to be clear though (and not scare anyone while they're driving in the rain), this was a MAJOR nor'easter type storm. So much rain, so fast, that trees had fallen over in soggy ground, 70mph+ wind gusts, and roads saturated and flooded. I've driven in heavy thunderstorms with no problems at all. This was a 2 hour trip in total, in the middle of all that mess, so if there IS some kind of issue with the air intake (as proven by the snow-pack issue), then that was definitely the day to have it exposed. I wouldn't worry about it normally.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have seen the white smoke from mine twice. Both times I was in regen, one was in the automatic car wash and the other after a big rain storm. I took it to the dealer and they said they have had several complain about it but couldnt find anything. They checked mine out and didnt find anything.
I have a great relationship with my dealer and know most of the mechanics as my good friends.

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
There were a few others on The Diesel Stop that chimed in on it as well. Just to be clear though (and not scare anyone while they're driving in the rain), this was a MAJOR nor'easter type storm. So much rain, so fast, that trees had fallen over in soggy ground, 70mph+ wind gusts, and roads saturated and flooded. I've driven in heavy thunderstorms with no problems at all. This was a 2 hour trip in total, in the middle of all that mess, so if there IS some kind of issue with the air intake (as proven by the snow-pack issue), then that was definitely the day to have it exposed. I wouldn't worry about it normally.
gotcha , that would make a difference , good info to know

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Could valve adjustment or dirty valve seats be a reason for white smoke? Of course this would be constant and not just intermittent i guess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info you guys i think it might actually be when it's raining heavy, it was raining heavy up here in the northeast yesterday and i was on the high way and hammered it necause of traffic and after that it felt like it kept wanting to do it. and i know its not the regen doing it because i got the dpf delete pipe and the regen turned off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting.... if it is the water issue, it will seem to keep "wanting to" until it has a chance to dry out. Next time it does it, pop the air filter open and check it out to see if it's wet. I'm waiting for it to happen to me again so I can do the same.
to be honest with you man i hope its just the water thing i cant really remember if it was raining the other two times it did it. i would rather it not be something major:thumb:

·
Registered
333 Posts
phsbaseball38 I have the delete pipe also with the sct livewire i put out some white smoke the other day in the rain also, you said your regen is turned off do youu know if i can turn mine off with the livewire , because i can hear it go into high idle mode sometimes when im parked.

·
Registered
542 Posts
phsbaseball38 I have the delete pipe also with the sct livewire i put out some white smoke the other day in the rain also, you said your regen is turned off do youu know if i can turn mine off with the livewire , because i can hear it go into high idle mode sometimes when im parked.
If you have a dpf delete pipe installed and a livewire, you should have the 1.20 tune revision installed & loaded in the truck to make sure you don't go into regen! With that tune revision, there are no options to set. Just load one of the tunes and the DPF regen is OFF.

Keep in mind that there are two different "white smoke" issues. One is regen, which is normal for a DPF-intact truck, and the other is the rain issue causing some strange problem that may relate to a saturated filter or a sensor reacting to moisture. So in theory, a truck with the rain issue will do it with or without the dpf.

Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea like zerone said u have to get the tune revision 1.20 which you have to buy from sct for i think it was $399 extra for the dpf delete revision. so that part kind of sucks but i would def say its worth it but you have to have the delete pipe to turn off regen. hope that helps you out let me know if you have any other questions

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.