Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 6.4l, we are blowing white smoke. We have replaced the DPF, we have taken the EGR coolers off and had them tested by Ford and had pressure tests done to ensure that we do not have a blown head gasket. All computer testing passed including the compression testing, but we are still blowing white smoke. Most of the time the smoke occurs when you are first taking off, and when you are running between 35 and 40 mph, but it will clear up for a short time, but then starts again when you slow back down. we are loosing oil and water/coolant..... HELP!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I have no performance issues with this truck at the time, the only issues are the water/coolant loss and oil loss, and of course the white smoke that is so think and clouds the roads when it is blowing!

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
White usually means coolant. With the 6.4 it could also mean regen. If your truck is blowing so much smoke as to cloud the road,without a performance loss it most likely coolant. Need to have the checks done again. If you are losing fluid, and it's burning it, common sense says there is a leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are loosing both oil and coolant, the issue that I have run into is that all of the tests by Ford is telling me that the coolant system passed the pressure test and they suggested that it could be something with the turbo, maybe a seal or Oring, but the Ford service center we have here is not familiar with the 6.4L so they are having a hard time testing or helping us with this. Any suggestions on where the leak could be coming from? We do not see any obvious leaks, which goes in line with you saying it's buring it. The other thing that doesn't make sense is why it is not blowing the smoke constantly, and why it will stop when we get a few miles down the road, but then when you slow down to 35 or 40 mph, it starts right back up, it will also blow the white smoke when it is sitting idle. Suggestions on where or how to test for leaks?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, on the regen, we just replaced the dpf and since we have replaced it it has not gone into regen. The computer at Ford says that it does not need to regen yet, system is clear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ford installed the newly designed replacement CAC/intercooler under warranty a couple months ago. The new CAC/Intercooler did not fix this issue.

This issue is no joke. I envelope other cars in white smoke when passing and I can't accelerate safely when towing due to the corresponding serious engine stumble around 2500RPM.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have a similiar issue, blowing white smoke but not all the time. I've deleted the DPF and EGR coolers trying to get rid of the white smoke, still got it. But I'm not lossing coolant anymore, just oil. Does that mean I have a turbo issues???????? And if so can I get them fixed or is replacemnet the only route.

·
Registered
9 Posts
White smoke continued...

New intercooler
New EGR Valve
New EGR Cooler
New Upper / Lower radiator hoses
Has the Veturi Tee

I think my oil is holding. The coolant seems to be holding now that the radiator hoses are replaced.

Still doing the white smoke / engine stumble in humid weather. Sucks.

Any ideas? Some other sensor? Injectors?

Water in the fuel? Water in the fuel/water separator? New intercooler also collecting moisture and blowing it thru like the old one?

I have a similiar issue, blowing white smoke but not all the time. I've deleted the DPF and EGR coolers trying to get rid of the white smoke, still got it. But I'm not lossing coolant anymore, just oil. Does that mean I have a turbo issues???????? And if so can I get them fixed or is replacemnet the only route.

·
Registered
269 Posts
White smoke as well, DPF deleted, egr delete, arp head studs but blows a small amount when accelerating, more so with a load on. Subscribing

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome to my hell guys. Read the thread "A Beast with Problems". Mine would only blow white/blue smoke with the DPF/DOC off. Turned out to be a HP turbo oil seal on exhaust side. Dealer sold me a CAC (out of warranty, $1200) which did not even come close to solving the issue. If you have almost pure oil coming out of your exhaust pipe, it's the turbo seal as nothing else dumps oil there.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm new to Powerstrokes, I've only owned Cummins motors, (but maybe soon a 6.4). I know that when a Cummins common rail motor blows white smoke, it is either a bad injector that is stuck open or a turbo seal gone bad which will fill the CAC (or a runaway if bad enough). A stuck CR injector will melt the cylinder very quick.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Wow, old thread back from the dead. I found and fixed my problem. It was a turbo oil seal putting straight oil down the downpipe. Rebuild both turbos with a rebuild kit off eBay. So far everythig is great. No more white smoke

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 6.4l, we are blowing white smoke. We have replaced the DPF, we have taken the EGR coolers off and had them tested by Ford and had pressure tests done to ensure that we do not have a blown head gasket. All computer testing passed including the compression testing, but we are still blowing white smoke. Most of the time the smoke occurs when you are first taking off, and when you are running between 35 and 40 mph, but it will clear up for a short time, but then starts again when you slow back down. we are loosing oil and water/coolant..... HELP!
Wouldn't that be your oil cooler. Anyway it sounds like your about to come off warranty so why not do what I'm doing next week and eliminate the biggest issues on these trucks, DPF/CAT and egr delete.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm fully deleted and still have some smoke as well. I might see about rebuilding the turbos as well. What kit did you use off eBay? Can you do it with the cab on fairly easily?

Sent from the mower shop

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue here, hope I can get at them with the cab on! My wife is
pissed about the oil on the concrete, she has no idea the trouble this is!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm fully deleted and still have some smoke as well. I might see about rebuilding the turbos as well. What kit did you use off eBay? Can you do it with the cab on fairly easily?

Sent from the mower shop

Ford 6.4L Power Stroke turbo overhaul kit | eBay

One like this.

It can be done cab on (thats how I did it), but I would not call it "fairly easily", I call it a PAI, but can be done two days if you have all the parts on hand when you start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blowin' smoke

:dunno:Mine isn't nearly that bad because it does not smoke at idle like that one. However, it sure does like to blow smoke (white/grey/blue) a lot when I take off from a stop...so much that I am embarrassed and everyone behind me has to slow down and wait for it to clear, or change lanes. Sounds like most people are saying oil from the turbos is the problem. Is this covered under powertrain warranty???

·
Registered
70 Posts
well, same problem. 2008, 108k. no mods.

I changed the oil 500 miles ago, and went with a synthetic/blend oil and zmax. think this caused the problem? now that it started, how quickly will it get worse. i have to tow my boat to the coast this weekend "200 miles" for a charity fishing trip. they are counting on it.

anyone tried any oil seal additive in the oil?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same problem I had, it would run like a champ pouring white smoke all the way down the road! #8 cylinder cracked the rings! New motor installed under warranty

1 - 20 of 20 Posts