Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 6.0 and it starting blowing white smoke while at idle. It really pours out the smoke. When at highway speeds alot less smoke but, what is coming out seems to be black. Truck still runs fine and idles fine. Check engine light is on and a shop hooked it up to computer and said it was #4 and #8 injector but, they were also a shop that has never worked on a 6.0 and rarely on diesels. I was told by a other mechanic it might not be the injectors at all and did not want to give me any ideas on what it might be with out letting him look at it first. Can anyone give me any signs to look for to point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I bought the truck used in 05 and I have never taken it in to be reprogramed. Is that something that has to be done on a regular basis. Do you have any idea of an aproximate cost of haveing it reprogramed? This is my first powerstroke and all of this stuff is new to me. I have done a little research and thought maybe egr cooler or even a head gasket but, I am not losing oil or coolant at a noticable amount so i do not know if I should role those out or not. I also thought if I really had 2 bad injectors the truck would be running or idleing rough.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It only needs one program. That was a fix a long time ago for the 03 6.0's. I would check your injector control pressure reading's. 500 for the injectors to even fire no less. You can check the injectors taking off the valve cover's and with a mirror and light look under the rails at the injector's there will be two holes on top of them hard to see but you can see them. Start the truck and look for oil coming out of them If no =good. If oil =bad.

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
Not too sure about the '03 but I'd see about a re-flash of on board computer.
EGR Valve could be coked up or EGR cooler issue. Hope your not having Head gasket issues? Just a guess for me.
Hopefully a tech will chime in for ya

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The coolant level is not flucuating I have put probably hundred miles on it since it started and resevior level does not seem to change. Like I said the truck runs the same as it did before it started blowing the white smoke. It runs and idles smooth, i quite driving it for fear of a serious problem or receiving a fine for excessive smoke. There is that much smoke at idle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If all the mechanic did was check codes they are more than likly false codes without diagnostic tests a injecotor will not throw a code without being completly dead and you would be able to feel 2 dead injectors. If you are sure it is white smoke not steam from the exhaust it is more than likly injectors they may not be dead but just weak. The newer program may help but it might not. If it doesnt you may need a few injectors. International has switched to a new type of injector that can tolorate more wear an the whole set must be changed at the same time. Im not sure if ford has started doing this as well. Ford techs speak up if you know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am pretty sure it is not steam and the smoke smells like fuel it really dont smell any other oder to it that I can smell. The truck still runs strong though that is what has me confused because if it was not recieving adequite fuel you would think the motor would lack power or run and idle rough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts