Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno::dunno:I have been looking around but can't find anything about my situation. When I start my truck in the morning, I get a puff of white smoke for a second or two. I get it when I start my truck when leaving work too. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciated it. I have also noticed more of the dirty diesel smell when sitting at stop lights. I would like to take care of this before it gets cold out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't noticed anything wrong. No misfire or rough starts. No loss of power. It just started puffing white smoke at start up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
:popcorn2: Mine is doing the same thing, but last for about a minute. It has been getting colder at nights though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have kind of the same problem. I was just out for a short drive, sitting at a stop light, went to leave from the light stepped on the peddle and had a little hesitation and looked in the mirror and saw white smoke. Had oil changed about a week ago, had black smokE heavy for one day, but has died down. Only now when you really hammer it, but I know that happens with diesels!!! Never had any problems before oil change. No lose of power, sounds good, not missing turbo still spooling!!! Otherwise white smoke once in a blue moon.

Why do problems seem to occur after a oil change???!!!

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Mine's doing the exact same thing. White smoke at startup is usually unburnt diesel. If it goes away after a few minutes of driving, it might just be carry over from when it was shut off. If it persists for a while (10-15 minutes), you likely have an injector that is sticking.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only concern is that it has never done this except random morning starts, but now I can see it everytime I start it.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
At start up you guys need to get back there asap and smell that smoke..that will tell you what the problem is.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Smell the smoke? What would tell us if something is wrong? Mine is at start up and that's it. But the hesitation and the white smoke at a stop light has me a little worried, it was really weird!!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I just put in Eric's X-Race tune and mine puffs white when I first start it in the morning or after it has sat for a while. If I run it and then go into a store or something and come back out and start it again, it will puff black. I don't think there is anything wrong with mine though, I smelled the smoke as Adam said you should do and it smelled like diesel fuel.

-French

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Smell the smoke? What would tell us if something is wrong? Mine is at start up and that's it. But the hesitation and the white smoke at a stop light has me a little worried, it was really weird!!!
yes, smell the smoke, if it smells sweet and kind of burns your eyes, its coolant and its the beginning sign's of EGR cooler failure.

If you smell it and it smells like kerosene, thats injector related, in most cases.

·
Registered
211 Posts
And if we don't smell either of these smells and it smells like diesel, is there anything else we should look for? Or is the white just a little bit of diesel left over from the previous shut down that is to burn off on start up?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm curious too, mine just started this...

but it doesn't smoke on startup just when i'm cruising around town and WOT puff of white smoke:dunno:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
White smoke can be diesel fuel on startup, but normally indicates EGR cooler failure.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Couldn't it be moisture too? If you park your truck outside?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Of course. It's a subjective thing, as anything with a 6.0L is--LOL. My truck has always been parked outside, but the kitty ran away, so I don't consider "moisture" in your use of the word. It's always black smoke when it starts, but my truck isn't close to stock so I'm just relaying what I know and what I've read.

If the white smoke is just a "puff" I wouldn't be too concerned. If it gets longer and longer or constant...........

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
If the white smoke is just a "puff" I wouldn't be too concerned. If it gets longer and longer or constant...........
Yeah, I was just talking about start up for all the water/moisture to burn out when it gets coated on the inside of the exhaust. I always have a little water resting on my exhaust tip in the morning when I go outside.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mine does this intermittently. I guess i will dig out my track shoes from in the A.M. so i can check out the smell. I hope its not anything to worry about. Short on cake right now.

Does it equate to injector failure eventually or is there something that can be done before there is a problem if this is the case?

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well started truck up this morning and it was puking white constant not just a puff!!! Smelled the smoke and it was burning my eyes, couldn't keep my head in the smoke to much it burned. So I'm guessing I'm looking a EGR cooler failure!!! YEAH!!! Just spent $1500.00 on tires and a painted touch up.

So will be taking the truck into the local shop and see what they tell me. Hopefully not to bad, have no idea what I'm looking at for $$$$.

Would this be a time to be looking a EGR delete? I still have an extended warrenty on my truck that covers the powertrain, not a Ford Warrenty. The guy I'm taking my truck to is supposed to know diesels pretty good where I live.

Will let everyone know in the next day or two what the problem is!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts