Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2008 F250 Job 1 (DPF-R deleted with Banks 6 Gun) that just turned 100,000 miles. While driving to work today, it briefly bogged down and started billowing white smoke. I lightened up on the throttle and it went away. About an hour later, I go to drive it again and the same thing happens. Bogging, loss of power, and billowing white smoke with mixes of black smoke. The second time, it would not stop. I barely got the truck home.

I did some research and read about the condensation in the intercooler. Checked that, no fluid in intercooler. Also read might be EGR? Any other ideas?

I just had the 100k service done about a month ago at my local dealership.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seems like there are quite a few of us having this issue right now. Mine did the same thing for a day or two, then threw a code for the EGR valve sticking. Then it started to clog up the DPF. Coolant getting into the intake somehow I figure. Still troubleshooting this, but I am looking at either a leaking EGR valve, or EGR cooler at this point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone have any updates on this? My truck ran fine this morning, we stopped for a few minutes and when I started it back up it was doing this same thing. Never had any other problems prior to this afternoon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been having this problems for several months. My 2008 f-350 is currently at ford for the 100th time. They finally got the truck to go into what I call the crazy mode. Loss of power and white smoke. They have it in million pieces right now and can't find anything wrong. According to them Ford is lost and so are they. They think it may be the latest program that has been installed. The one that doesn't tell you anymore that's it's in Regen. As of close of business yesterday Ford told them to reassemble my truck. they have the cab off along with just about everything on the outside of the motor. Turbos, exhaust, EGR you name it. If they do figure it out I will make sure and post the results.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had it towed to a friend of a friends garage and he sd he pulled the secondary fuel filter and it has shavings in it. Thinks I may need a whole new fuel system. I heard the injectors can be rebuilt. Anyone know if this is accurate? I'll probably know more in the next couple days. The truck ran fine all morning, after shutting it off for about 45 minutes when I started it the problem started. Never threw any codes or anything had no power, was running rough and was smoking like someone was burning carpet! LOL Smoke was white with an occasional puff of black and grey smoke. He sd when he hooked his laptop to it he could see which injectors weren't firing and sd the compression in all 8 holes looked ok. :dunno:

·
Registered
364 Posts
White smoke is typically coolant. EGR Cooler leaking would be my first guess. Don't run it till you look into that because you don't want to hydrolock your engine and break something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Went to the shop today and talked to mechanic. He sd the whole high pressure side needs replaced and the low side and tank flushed out! HPFP, lines, injectors, rails and everything in between. He is going to let me shop around for parts to get the best deal which I think is more than fair. Any suggestions on OEM from Ford or aftermarket? I plan to put stock injectors and pump back in it, buy the Sinister EGR delete kit and add a Spartan tuner. Truck already has DPF delete and EGR is tuned off with DPF-R, exhaust and AFE Stage 2 CAI. Any input is appreciated. I don't want to have to do this again!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been having this problems for several months. My 2008 f-350 is currently at ford for the 100th time. They finally got the truck to go into what I call the crazy mode. Loss of power and white smoke. They have it in million pieces right now and can't find anything wrong. According to them Ford is lost and so are they. They think it may be the latest program that has been installed. The one that doesn't tell you anymore that's it's in Regen. As of close of business yesterday Ford told them to reassemble my truck. they have the cab off along with just about everything on the outside of the motor. Turbos, exhaust, EGR you name it. If they do figure it out I will make sure and post the results.
I wondered this myself, because the truck started having issues about 1,000 miles after I brought it in for the 100k service. Did they install some new software onto the truck without my knowledge?

Anyways, here's an update.....

I had it towed to a local diesel shop and they said it's not the EGR coolers because the coolant level is normal. They think it might be the EGR valve hanging open because it smells like raw fuel. I would think if that were the case, the smoke would be black and not white, though. I'm no expert though as this is my first diesel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will let you know next week if mine is the EGR or REGEN as I am having all the junk removed. My truck only smokes while in REGEN. It runs great the rest of the time. The shop that is completing my mods has had very good success stopping the white smoke with the mods. This is not my first diesel but it has been a long time since I drove one daily. I have owned a lot of Ford Diesel trucks in my prior business and have never had a problem like this.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
White smoke is typically coolant. EGR Cooler leaking would be my first guess. Don't run it till you look into that because you don't want to hydrolock your engine and break something.
White smoke can also be unburnt diesel fuel.

Waitedlongenough,
Before you let that shop start throwing parts at it, I would want to know how they came to the conclusion that everything on the high pressure side needs replaced. IMO from what you have posted so far, we really have no idea what caused this. Also, if they used IDS I assume they checked for contribution of cylinders and you said they were normal. If your injectors need replaced they shouldn't be normal.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update 2:

Shop replaced EGR valve and still had smoke. They ran some other diagnostics and saw a difference between oil temp and coolant temp that was out of spec. Ran more diagnostics and found the EGR cooler that also leaking.

EGR valve and coolers from Bulletproof with labor gonna be $4400 out the door. Should have the truck back tomorrow or Monday.

So with new EGR valve and coolers with lifetime warranty, what can I expect to break next?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can't help you on what will break next but glad you figured out your problem. The weather this week has delayed all my parts from coming in to complete my mods. They are picking up the last part this morning and I should have my truck back by lunch. I will let you know how I like it after all the mods have been installed this afternoon. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
$4,400. to replace an EGR Cooler?!?!?!?

:agree: That price is outrageous. Personally, I would delete the EGR, but even if you installing a new "bulletproof" EGR, that is crazy. How much is the EGR by itself?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Each EGR cooler is about $700. I think the EGR valve assembly was another $800 or $900. Then CA sales tax and labor costs.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Each EGR cooler is about $700. I think the EGR valve assembly was another $800 or $900. Then CA sales tax and labor costs.
I couldn't afford to live in Calif.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
It's tough at times...
Being in Cali, I realize you can't delete, but that is still very high in labor. Have you looked at another place for labor as that still seems really high. Another option might be looking for a nearby state that doesn't emission test and get a PO Box and register your truck there so you can avoid emissions and delete your EGR.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Being in Cali, I realize you can't delete, but that is still very high in labor. Have you looked at another place for labor as that still seems really high. Another option might be looking for a nearby state that doesn't emission test and get a PO Box and register your truck there so you can avoid emissions and delete your EGR.
When I get the truck back, I'll look at the work order. By my calculations, that's ~$1,600 in labor costs. I'm not sure what's involved in replacing the EGR valve and coolers. Is that a cab off job?

The smog check every two years isn't a problem for me. The truck is already registered in a county that does not require smog checks. I'm just worried about a random roadside test and getting popped there. If I do get busted, I know I can put the DPF/CAT back on easily. I'm not handy enough with this thing to do an EGR re-install on my own.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts