Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2012 Ford F-250 4 wheel drive and there’s a constant whirring noise while driving. I’m pretty sure it’s the front driveshaft that’s stuck engaged but the front wheels are not moving. I’ve seen a lot of people saying it’s a wheel bearing but I want peoples opinion on my particular problem. The noise is coming from the front end and when I go to try and turn the front driveshaft while in park is doesn’t spin and I thought it would be free if the 4 wheel drive isn’t engaged.

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
Does the noise change when you make a turn one direction or the other?

Jack each front wheel and check the wheel bearing for slack -- while you have a wheel jacked, rotate and watch the front driveshaft - what doe you notice?

you sure the front hubs are "unlocked" in auto position?

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
and when I go to try and turn the front driveshaft while in park is doesn’t spin and I thought it would be free if the 4 wheel drive isn’t engaged.
Yea my front hubs are locked, and no it doesn’t make any change when turning
So, ...you know the hubs have to be unlocked to get the driveshaft to turn by hand, ...correct?

Wheel bearings will change sound when cornering at speed, so just turning in a parking lot will not do

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
Jack the front up and grab the tires and see if the wheels are loose -- also see if the hubs are releasing, turning a wheel should not turn the joint behind it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I’m an idiot and wasn’t reading the hun locks correctly, they are now unlocked and the front driveshaft is free and it’s still making that noise, I’ll look into wheel bearings

1 - 8 of 8 Posts