Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice it whines some when it's turned... I've had good luck w/ this goop you put in the steering pump reservoir and it's nearly always stopped the whine. Will this be safe to do?

Thanks

Matt

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT It's not bad to put that stop-whine fluid in right?

·
Registered
473 Posts
the pumps are just sometimes noisy to begin with. on going problem with ford pumps. doesn't mean there is anything wrong. not sure about the stop whine fluid.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok didnt know that. Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking I might get another bottle of that stuff I bought and see if it quiets it

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a small used truck lot and we sell alot of the 7.3 Superdutys. Most of the trucks above 125K have the whining sound and sometimes the power steering isn't working well at idle. We drain the old PS fluid by pulling the lower hose then add 1 bottle of Lucas and top it off with fresh fluid. It has fixed it every time. Hopes this helps! Nick

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh thanks a lot for the input. Do you put just normal lucas stabilizer oil in it, or special power steering stuff?

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
While you are adding magical fluids to your PS pump, keep in mind that it also provides the hydro boost for your brakes.

Ive seen stuff about lucas to make me not want to use it. Foam.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess take it for what its worth.
I'm not a salesman for Lucas but it has worked very well for me. My trucks steering no longer whines like its low on power steering fluid (but wasn't) and the power steering now works when im backing up my trailer.
My truck has a 4in lift with 35in Nitto's and I use the truck mainly too tow my 13000lbs Toyhauler into the mountains during the summer here in Phoenix when its 115+ degree's. I guess if you don't like it dump the Lucas after its cleaned your pump but for me its working great and staying.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's called Lucas power steering stop leak but it has something in it that takes all the varnish off the internals. I have had it in my personal 01 PSD for about 12K and its amazing how well it worked.
We use there transmission conditioner as well when a tranny is shifting sloppy it takes the varnesh off the tranny shift solenoids.

Hope this helps.
Nick
Used Cars & Trucks Arizona 480.649.3030 | Your Phoenix Arizona Used Car Dealer in Mesa

Lucas Oil
Ok thank you. I forget which brand I've used (would have to see the bottle and I'd remember) but it's worked on pretty much every other car I've used it in.

While you are adding magical fluids to your PS pump, keep in mind that it also provides the hydro boost for your brakes.

Ive seen stuff about lucas to make me not want to use it. Foam.
Yep I'm aware of this. Which is why I'm weighing out my choices.

Replace it with a synthetic.
I was also considering this also. But wouldn't I have to replace all the fluid, not add the synthetic to the current fluid? I cant imagine its fun changing the fluid out

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The stuff that I always buy turned out to be the Lucas Power Steering fluid. So I got some. It def made it more smooth and made it a lot quieter, but I think it's just the nature of the beast to be kinda noisy. But it IS noticeably better. We'll see after a few weeks how it is still acting.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well heres my "few days after" report. It took about a day for the Lucas Power Steering fluid to work itself in. The steering pump is really REALLY quiet now, though as I've been saying it's the nature of the beast to be a bit noisy. But it steers really smoothly and easily now.

It's strange though when the wheel is in one certain position it makes an almost metallic-hydraulic whining noise and I can feel it in the wheel. But it's not bad. I'm going to go check the levels and top off the fluid some more w/ the Lucas again

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't forget that Ford used an upgraded Power steering pump in 2001 and up. The older pumps aren't quite as strong and tend to groan when you put big rubber on. I own a 2000 that I had to replace the pump on just three days ago....no big deal.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh ya? Is it backwards compatible w/ the 2000-'s?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does it whine when u hit the brakes? You might check and make sure it ain't coming out of your hydro boost. I just replaced that on a buddies truck yesterday because he couldn't stand the whine.

I'm not one to care much for any stop leak additives, usually not the best thing in the world....

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not any more no. It was kinda I think before I put in the additive. Just touching the wheel would induce whine. But now it's 100% quiet except for the brake pedal.. but thats just the nature of these hydroboost setups. Very normal.

I've used the Lucas in many things to great success, and this truck is no different than the rest of my cars. I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is compatible.....most autopart stores carry the upgraded model.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hell ya. I'll keep that in mind incase something ever goes wrong with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts