Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
replace the oil cooler! 9 times outta 10 the oil cooler is clogged and thats what caused the egr cooler to go. its really simple to get to while you have the intake off. take your time and make sure you get all the gaskets lined up and be careful with the y pipe that connects to the turbo as they like to crack. little trick i use to line it up is get the turbo set properly in the pedistal. then take a small rachet strap and hook it to the fender and the back of the y. then slowly rachet it into place. works like a charm. need any more help just post up on here and im sure others will chime in

·
Registered
863 Posts
if it was me id let the truck sit. you risk blowing up the oil cooler and then you have oil in your coolant and believe me ive had it happen when i didnt know much about these trucks and it was super hard to get out! call sinister and maybe they will help you out on the oil cooler since you bought the delete from them.

·
Registered
863 Posts
yea but the possiblity of the oil cooler being good is slim to none being that the OP said it really wasnt taken care of fluid wise. its your truck and your money but if you wanna save from spending alot more later id say park it till you can replace it. like i said earlier 9 outta 10 egr cooler failures are because the oil cooler was stopped up. hate to see you get it back together and then find that out. cuz everything has to come back off and then you risk even more cracking the y pipe. plus if you do the oil cooler now you will have peice of mind knowing that it was fixed and you wont have that issue. and yes if its an 05 + you wanna change the STC fitting as well while you are there

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.