Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up using warn and now they and optima are overpriced made in china products now... in my opinion at least.

This will be mounted on my 1999 F250 4x4. I rarely use a winch but the sheer weight of this truck sometimes just needs a little nudge on the muddy roads esp during spring with run off/soft/muddy roads so won’t be anything extreme. I have an 84 4runner for that.

Narrowed it down to two choices both are entry level at best but again once or twice a year to get past washed out road sections till summer etc.

Super winch or.... badlands with synthetic rope upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K150X2E/?coliid=I30BYIOUSINF3C&colid=1SPS5VRN0IR92&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Most want synthetic rope to make it lighter to take off/on as it won’t be a permanent mount.

Any bashing or nonsense we’ll ya it’s gonna happen. Any real life experience?

Not paying $1200 for warn anymore for the amount it gets used. Maybe an extra once or twice a year to unspool and spoil to warm up the motor and burn away any residue moister etc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I have a 10K Smittybilt X20 on my Jeep that works great but you would need at least a 12K winch for a Superduty. I also have a cheap 12K winch with synthetic rope that I got on Amazon. I have it mounted on a 2" receiver mount that I use on my car trailer or in the receiver of my truck, I have dragged many vehicles with it and it has held up fine, the Harbor Freight winches aren't bad for the money either, I have seen them take a beating and last for years.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some more digging revealed this:

Badlands may only be $299 with the coupon but it weighs 83lbs and has a 90 day warranty and would be $60-100+ for the additional warranty whereas the superwinch weighs 63lb and has a 5yr warranty. I may just suck it up. Harbor freight can be good but they have only been an even 50/50 awesome vs total crap. Had their 3ton floor jack and 6 ton jack stands since 2011, then I use a serpentine belt tool on a 2005 corolla of all cars and it breaks first time hahahaha.

If anyone has user experience with either feel free. I have used a winch dozens of times so im fairly familiar and it will be used sparingly but when I roll solo I am very carful but again just the sheer weight of these trucks has been the stickler for me more than once. And it will be on road use not trying to pull the truck out of a soupy muddy hole preferably lol.

·
Premium Member
8,214 Posts
I've used this for a few years now, it's a Badlands 12K with a Warn "Hidden Bumper" kit w/rope cable.

Haven't had any trouble with it, don't use more than a few times a year, but I gotta say, I'm Happy ;)

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Obviously this is ultimately going to up to you.

I do a lot of off roading (Jeep), in the Jeep world “Warn” is the go to winch.

However, in my situation, when I started modifying/upgrading my Jeep (2017 JKU Rubicon) for better trail capabilities I was on a budget. I needed to make decisions on where I could compromise and where I couldn’t.

Self recovery is a big deal while off road and a winch is one of the areas that many would argue shouldn’t be a compromise.

With hesitation, I went with the new Smittybuilt. (10k w/synthetic line)

I’ve used it many times. Self recovery, helping others, moving fallen trees out of the way. The winch has preformed flawlessly every time I’ve need it.

Over the years I’ve seen many winches fail, (even Warn) but the only winch I’ve ever seen fail while still “new” was a Badlands, and I’ve seen it twice.
Operator error can come into play, you need to keep them cool as possible (work slow) if they heat up, and you need to use them within the limits of what they are rated at.

Winches are a big arguing point in the Jeep world, most argue that Warn is the only way to go. I disagree, and would not hesitate to buy another Smitty.

I would however not spend a dime on one of the Badlands, especially if you may find yourself alone and in need of recovery.

If your winch will be used around home, or always when you have help nearby the Badlands may be suitable.

I still want a “Warn”, and may eventually upgrade but for now my Smitty is doing everything I ask of it.

If I was looking for a bang for the $ winch, Smitty would be my choice.

YMMV

·
Vendor
12,761 Posts
Justin, I have had my crap Badlands winch for about 4yrs now, and without a doubt, it's by far the best winch for the money. HF stuff usually is junk, but Peterson's Offroad gave the 12k winch alot of good reviews. Mine doesn't owe me a penny. Sure warn is probably the "best" but I just cant justify the price tag. I mounted it on my my 24' tilt trailer and it has no issues pulling up dually trucks with even wide stance wheels and pulls them over the drive over fenders too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The badlands is a good winch I have one I use it daily. I had the first harbor freight 10,000 pound for years and years it finally died but it was a good winch also even last a couple years with a bent drum from pulling 30,000 pounds .

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Justin, bottom line is, a winch is just another tool.

Good tools aren’t cheap.
Some cheap tools can absolutely do what you intended on them doing but they may not.

The important question to ask/answer is, what’s at stake?

If your winch may be the difference in getting your truck home or not, you may want to spend a bit extra. If the stakes aren’t that high then the more wallet friendly option will probably be fine.

I take my Jeep places that no wrecker is going to get to me, only another well built Jeep or similar will do.
Our Trucks will never see those places.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Justin, bottom line is, a winch is just another tool.

Good tools aren’t cheap.
Some cheap tools can absolutely do what you intended on them doing but they may not.

The important question to ask/answer is, what’s at stake?

If your winch may be the difference in getting your truck home or not, you may want to spend a bit extra. If the stakes aren’t that high then the more wallet friendly option will probably be fine.

I take my Jeep places that no wrecker is going to get to me, only another well built Jeep or similar will do.
Our Trucks will never see those places.
Agreed on tools and quality but some tools are now made in China and ive broken some craftsman tools lately and when we calibrated some torq wrenches we were all surprised lol....

We tested a matco, craftsmen, Pittsburgh (Harbor freight) and one other brand maybe Tekton or kobalt or something can’t remember. The matco was number one and Pittsburgh was number too. It was the least off at 25/75/150lb setting. Surprised us all and we did it again and again Pittsburg was number too lol.

Optima is also something I stopped buying because of performance. Had one optima red top for like 11 yrs in a Toyota. Last one lasted 2yrs yet the AAA batteries in my current 7.3L were 7 yrs old before replacing them lol.

Trust me I’m all about buying once and not looking back, but some made in China stuff is better than made in America lately lol. Heck Fords been getting the frames made in Mexico/Brazil for a long time lol.

I digress lol. The truck would only need winched across some wash out roads once or twice a year, would not be taking truck where I take the 4runner or side by side for sure haha.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Agreed on tools and quality but some tools are now made in China and ive broken some craftsman tools lately and when we calibrated some torq wrenches we were all surprised lol....

We tested a matco, craftsmen, Pittsburgh (Harbor freight) and one other brand maybe Tekton or kobalt or something can’t remember. The matco was number one and Pittsburgh was number too. It was the least off at 25/75/150lb setting. Surprised us all and we did it again and again Pittsburg was number too lol.

Optima is also something I stopped buying because of performance. Had one optima red top for like 11 yrs in a Toyota. Last one lasted 2yrs yet the AAA batteries in my current 7.3L were 7 yrs old before replacing them lol.

Trust me I’m all about buying once and not looking back, but some made in China stuff is better than made in America lately lol. Heck Fords been getting the frames made in Mexico/Brazil for a long time lol.

Agree.
Especially on the Optima Batteries.
And I’m not against Harbor Freight tools, I own a few, and if it’s something I’m only going to need on rare occasion or for a one time job, HF is the first place I go.

I just wouldn’t spend any money on the BadLand winch (for my application) because I’ve personally seen them fail with little or no previous use.
Obviously a winch where I go in my Jeep is different situation than you’ve described your needs to be.
Hell, I bought the Smitty with reservations, and still have concerns if I’m “wheeling” solo, I tend to be much more cautious/conservative because I don’t have 100% confidence in it.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Agree.
Especially on the Optima Batteries.
And I’m not against Harbor Freight tools, I own a few, and if it’s something I’m only going to need on rare occasion or for a one time job, HF is the first place I go.

I just wouldn’t spend any money on the BadLand winch (for my application) because I’ve personally seen them fail with little or no previous use.
Obviously a winch where I go in my Jeep is different situation than you’ve described your needs to be.
Hell, I bought the Smitty with reservations, and still have concerns if I’m “wheeling” solo, I tend to be much more cautious/conservative because I don’t have 100% confidence in it.
I run a 9000 pound old style harbor freight on my '79 rock crawler bronco on 42" tires no problems and it was on someone else's rock crawler before I bought. I have beat the crap out of 3 and only 1 has failed but it had the crap beat out of it even still ran years after I bent the spool. It finally wore the brushes out . I have a old school warn and it's my least favorite winch to use . Nothing wrong with the badlands just saying .

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I run a 9000 pound old style harbor freight on my '79 rock crawler bronco on 42" tires no problems and it was on someone else's rock crawler before I bought. I have beat the crap out of 3 and only 1 has failed but it had the crap beat out of it even still ran years after I bent the spool. It finally wore the brushes out . I have a old school warn and it's my least favorite winch to use . Nothing wrong with the badlands just saying .

That’s great that you’ve had good luck with them.
For my application, I want to remove as much “luck” from the equation as I can.

The beauty of a question like this is, there’s no right/wrong answer, it’s just folks sharing opinions and experiences.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True. One thing I noticed is the superwinch comes with a 5 yr warranty vs the normal 90 day from HF for $50 more I don’t need to buy rope, extra warranty etc and a buddy got back to Me. He’s running the exact superwinch model I was looking at.

I do appreciate the input from everyone. Plus this won’t be used often at all. Last year my brother follow me with his 4runner in 38s way more mods then can be listed and he used his winch give me just a nudge across some washout sections twice.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well in case anyone cares or likes to research I made an order on the winch cradle and winch.

I ended up choosing a superwinch 12k but with cable. My reasons:

Superwinch comes with a 5 yr electrical warranty and a lifetime mechanical. I really wanted the harbor freight for the money but... it comes with a 90 day warranty, they are 45 minutes away and for the extended service plan its $60 for 1 year or $100 for 2 years. so id only saved $100 and only have a 2 yr warranty.

I also went with cable because of its strength. I also really wanted a synthetic rope but there is a lot of sand/gravel and it really east up the ropes vs cable.

Too be honest I may have spent $100 more for no reason but I feel the warranty and name is maybe a step or two above than than harbor freight.

I will show some pics of the winch, the cradle, and combination.

ps I am adding some braces to the front receiver and possible adding another receiver tube that way its not just one tube/pin for any angled pulls.

Really appreciate the input from everyone here only time will tell if I wasted $100 hahaha.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Well in case anyone cares or likes to research I made an order on the winch cradle and winch.

I ended up choosing a superwinch 12k but with cable. My reasons:

Superwinch comes with a 5 yr electrical warranty and a lifetime mechanical. I really wanted the harbor freight for the money but... it comes with a 90 day warranty, they are 45 minutes away and for the extended service plan its $60 for 1 year or $100 for 2 years. so id only saved $100 and only have a 2 yr warranty.

I also went with cable because of its strength. I also really wanted a synthetic rope but there is a lot of sand/gravel and it really east up the ropes vs cable.

Too be honest I may have spent $100 more for no reason but I feel the warranty and name is maybe a step or two above than than harbor freight.

I will show some pics of the winch, the cradle, and combination.

ps I am adding some braces to the front receiver and possible adding another receiver tube that way its not just one tube/pin for any angled pulls.

Really appreciate the input from everyone here only time will tell if I wasted $100 hahaha.

I don’t think you wasted your $100. The extra warranty alone is probably worth that.

Depending on how often you actually use your winch, you may wish you had gotten the rope vs cable though. Sure they are a little more susceptible to damage form the elements but a little maintenance goes a long way in mitigation of that.
When I made the switch to rope, using the winch became so much easier.

Keep in mind that “heat” is your biggest enemy, in long pulls, pull in spurts to keep the winch from getting too hot.
Spend a few more dollars and purchase a good quality snatch block, they can be used to reduce stress on your winch, and for longevity should be used. I say good quality because a poor quality snatch block is dangerous.
Sometimes I even use the snatch block just to get more line out, your winch is a little stronger with more line off the spool ( less stress=less heat).

Bla Bla Bla, enjoy your new tool, post some pix when you get’er mounted up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use a ramsey 12k winch on my trailer and its a beast! They also have a lifetime warranty. But it is very heavy and nobody makes a cradle to put one on a receiver, you will have to make one yourself. They may have a different model that will work, but the model I have was meant to be mounted on the bed of a tow truck or trailer. I love mine, works great! I just hate removing it from the trailer.

·
Registered
394 Posts
No one spoke of the duty cycle for the Badlands . I believe the Badlands d.c. is 10%. That is usage in a 10 minute time. Do the math. A friend bought one and that's only reason I know that on. I have a Superwinch on my '66 Bronco crawler (why?; because I won it at a raffle)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have 2 12k Badlands. 1 is mounted for going into a hitch and the other is behind my Hammerhead front bumper. I have used the bumper winch many times over the last about 7 years, It stopped working once. Took the motor off, cleaned the rust off the brushes so the springs would push them in and make contact and it worked perfect again. That was about 2 years ago. Its not used everyday, probably use it a few times and then not for a month or two. For me these were the right decision because of price. If was counting on them for serious off road maybe not because of duty cycle and I am impatient but that would be the only reason,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts