Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a new truck because my Titan only gets me 12mpg. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Diesel and have been for awile. I just don't know if I should go for an '06 or '07 6.0 or go for a new 6.4? I want to get fuel efficiency more than power. Either truck I get I will lift it on 37s possibly 38s, and I still want to get the best mpg's with that setup. So in y'alls opinion, should I go for the 6.0 or the 6.4. Also, I guess I should add, they are offering Employee pricing less $3500 rebate and free gas for 2 years (they didn't say diesel, they said gas so I don't if that applies or not). Let me know your opinions guys. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a new truck because my Titan only gets me 12mpg. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Diesel and have been for awile. I just don't know if I should go for an '06 or '07 6.0 or go for a new 6.4? I want to get fuel efficiency more than power. Either truck I get I will lift it on 37s possibly 38s, and I still want to get the best mpg's with that setup. So in y'alls opinion, should I go for the 6.0 or the 6.4. Also, I guess I should add, they are offering Employee pricing less $3500 rebate and free gas for 2 years (they didn't say diesel, they said gas so I don't if that applies or not). Let me know your opinions guys. Thanks.
Well there are plenty of different ways to go with your options, but I'm going to tell you this, don't even think about the 6.4 and mileage if you not willing to void your warranty cuz your mileage ain't going to be much better than what you are getting now. As for the 6.0, it gets better mileage stock and you can still find some low, mile clean trucks......but if you really want to get the best bang for your buck and best mileage try to find a nice, clean, unabused 7.3 :icon_ford:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there are plenty of different ways to go with your options, but I'm going to tell you this, don't even think about the 6.4 and mileage if you not willing to void your warranty cuz your mileage ain't going to be much better than what you are getting now. As for the 6.0, it gets better mileage stock and you can still find some low, mile clean trucks......but if you really want to get the best bang for your buck and best mileage try to find a nice, clean, unabused 7.3 :icon_ford:
Yea, that's what I was afraid of. I don't have the "cajones" to void the warranty on a $50,000 truck lol. And honestly, a 7.3 is too old for me. I was doing some research on 2006 or 2007 6.0s. I'm pretty much looking to buy one that already has the lift, wheels, and tires and that will save me even more money. So basically, unless I do the DPF, I will have bought a brand new and more expensive truck for no gains in fuel economy...

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've got an '08 6.4 PSD, stock, and I get 14 combination city/highway. With the lift etc. you aint gonna get better, probably sub 12. You can do mods that will void your warranty, they say some are untraceable but I wouldn't bet my warranty on it.

The 6.0 might be a better choice for mpg's, but don't take my word for it, I don't know much about the 6.0, I'm new to the diesel thing too.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got an '08 6.4 PSD, stock, and I get 14 combination city/highway. With the lift etc. you aint gonna get better, probably sub 12. You can do mods that will void your warranty, they say some are untraceable but I wouldn't bet my warranty on it.

The 6.0 might be a better choice for mpg's, but don't take my word for it, I don't know much about the 6.0, I'm new to the diesel thing too.
To the best of my knowledge, there are no "untraceable" mods. Basically, I don't believe in computer tuning. I don't trust it and if I got a 6.0 I wouldn't want to do it because I'm afraid of doing head studs. I wouldn't feel comfortable having the chassis lifted off of the frame. I guess I'm just going to have to go with a 6.0. Both are nice trucks, but I LOVE the look of lifted '08s. :dunno:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a 2005 PSD and I love it. I just have a leveling kit with no mods so far and I get 15.5 - 16.6 mpg in town and 18-20mpg highway at 65mph. Towing 10k-11k I get 8-9 mpg. I love this truck so much and will be getting a new exhaust, SCT, and gauges next week since I am near my end of warranty, that is If dont fall in love with the 2008 6.4 F350 I will be looking at tomorrow. With the employee pricing back the wife said I should take a look and see what they have to offer.

I will never have anything other than a Powerstroke Diesel. Yeah diesel prices suck for now, but I think its a bubble and it will burst at some point. Just like the housing market.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2005 PSD and I love it. I just have a leveling kit with no mods so far and I get 15.5 - 16.6 mpg in town and 18-20mpg highway at 65mph. Towing 10k-11k I get 8-9 mpg. I love this truck so much and will be getting a new exhaust, SCT, and gauges next week since I am near my end of warranty, that is If dont fall in love with the 2008 6.4 F350 I will be looking at tomorrow. With the employee pricing back the wife said I should take a look and see what they have to offer.

I will never have anything other than a Powerstroke Diesel. Yeah diesel prices suck for now, but I think its a bubble and it will burst at some point. Just like the housing market.
Yea, the fuel is going down. Chevron and Shell have already started developing diesel fuel from algae and Shell has built a greenhouse in Hawaii just for growing the stuff. Algae (as of right now) produces 4000 gallons of fuel per acre per year. That number is expected to go up as the science is perfected. We should be having road fuel from algae coming within 3 years. At least that is what I read.

And what you stated above is exactly why I am looking at the 6.0s. They get great mileage in stock form and if I lift it and throw on 37s I will still get better mileage than what my Titan gets stock. I only wish the 6.4 got the same mileage as the 6.0 and then my decision would be made.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
You dont "believe in computer tuning" LOL....ok.

Even with a 6.0 lifted running 37-38" tires your mileage is gonna suck unless you tune it...suck as bad as a stock 6.4..no......be as nice looking, inside, and out...NO.

I am very happy with the mileage on my tuned lifted..etc...6.4

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You dont "believe in computer tuning" LOL....ok.

Even with a 6.0 lifted running 37-38" tires your mileage is gonna suck unless you tune it...suck as bad as a stock 6.4..no......be as nice looking, inside, and out...NO.

I am very happy with the mileage on my tuned lifted..etc...6.4
That was the wrong word. I'm afraid of it, not that I don't believe in it lol. My bad. I'm afraid of blowing up my motor. I dunno. It sucks man. I mean, is the 6.4 a stronger motor than the 6.0, ie. won't blow heads and stuff like that. I really don't know enough info about these, just enough to be dangerous :confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
From what I read the 6.4 can get great fuel mileage if you due a tuner and DPF delete. Now it is assumed that this will void the warranty? Is this true? I can't imagine a dealership that would not void the warranty if they saw you took off what the EPA has mandated, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I read the 6.4 can get great fuel mileage if you due a tuner and DPF delete. Now it is assumed that this will void the warranty? Is this true? I can't imagine a dealership that would not void the warranty if they saw you took off what the EPA has mandated, but I could be wrong.
It does void the warranty. That's why I'd be afraid to do it. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if these guys have any problems and then start modding it up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If it does void it then I will not upgrade to the 6.4 right now. I can not afford worse fuel milage...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, but if you dump the DPF and get a tuner it will get better. It's a double edged sword. I'm going to go over to a Ford dealership in a little bit and see what the techs have to say about dumping the DPF. I kinda know what the answer is but I'm curious.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Cool let me know. I will ask my dealer and techs tomorrow as well

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Mild tuning...even on the 6.0....and responsible driving will cause no issues.....theres MANY trucks on the road that are tuned and driven all over the place with no problems at all.

And wadepowerstroke....I dont agree.....with the DPF delete, and tuning, I get 18mpg turning 37" tires...I would guess over 20mpg with stock rolling stock...thats pretty good IMO for an 8000lb tank.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mild tuning...even on the 6.0....and responsible driving will cause no issues.....theres MANY trucks on the road that are tuned and driven all over the place with no problems at all.

And wadepowerstroke....I dont agree.....with the DPF delete, and tuning, I get 18mpg turning 37" tires...I would guess over 20mpg with stock rolling stock...thats pretty good IMO for an 8000lb tank.
hey man, is 18 city, highway, or mixed?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If you want fuel mileage get a CUMMINS! Yeah yeah boo me but it's the truth.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
18 highway....bout 15 mixed.

Remember...this truck weighs 8000+lbs, and mine has 8+" lift, and 37" tires on 20" wheels....pretty damn good

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
got just over 21 in my "old" 7.3 with "computer" tuning. that was emty 60-65mph with alot of slowing down to go through small towns. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts