Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got mine from UPS today...:thumb: is there a preference as to which way to point the bells? i'm sure forward isn't an option as they might get stuff in them...200 psi would clean them out though wouldn't it? :rofl:

really though, better to a side or the back? the main purpose for the horns is to ward off the a holes that always want to cut in front of me when i'm pulling my toy hauler...any tips are appreciated...

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
My co-worker has his facing forward. Centered behind the roof lights. My buddy has one on each side of the center roof light facing forward. They never have any problems with anything getting in them.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Mine are facing forward and are as clean as the day I put them on. 20K miles with them like this and I've never cleaned them and the truck has been threw rain, mud, grass, and dirt.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
Mine are under bed frame rail, facing rearward. They are loud enough even facing back to scare the beegeebers outta the idiots that cut me off.:thumb::D

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
my train horns

Mine are facing forward so as to reverberate off the cab, they are where the spare tire used to be, along with the 5 gal tank and the compressor. Its a great spot for them. If you are worried about garbage getting into them, it does happen, I had a butt load of butterflies in mine after my trip this week :doh: and i just hit it and held it and it blew them all out in about 2 secs. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts

face them forward and put a pull chain on it :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Does anyone have them wired into their factory horn or are they all auxilary? Mine go off when I honk, When I lock the Truck, when I disarm the alarm, with the panic, and with the alarm. Its great. My wife doesn't think so though. lol

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Mine is through the steering wheel, but when I lock the truck or set the alarm off it uses the factory horn still :thumb:

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
i just got mine from UPS today...:thumb: is there a preference as to which way to point the bells? i'm sure forward isn't an option as they might get stuff in them...200 psi would clean them out though wouldn't it? :rofl:

really though, better to a side or the back? the main purpose for the horns is to ward off the a holes that always want to cut in front of me when i'm pulling my toy hauler...any tips are appreciated...
If they are real train horns like nathan or leslie, then they come with canvas covers for the bells.

Plus they are so loud it doesn't really matter which way they face, they'll cause a heart attack in any direction :nod:

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts
Mine are facing forward so as to reverberate off the cab, they are where the spare tire used to be, along with the 5 gal tank and the compressor. Its a great spot for them. If you are worried about garbage getting into them, it does happen, I had a butt load of butterflies in mine after my trip this week :doh: and i just hit it and held it and it blew them all out in about 2 secs. :thumb:
Do you have the "baja" style spare carrier then?

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,861 Posts

face them forward and put a pull chain on it :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
Dude that pull chain is straight up BAD A$$!

I have a set of 3 trumpet Leslie (actual train horns off of a Southern Pacific Locomotive) and they are WAY BIGGER than what I've seen on here. The two trumpets that face forward are over 40" and the center trumpet that faces backward is about 24" long. They are so big I really haven't found a permanent place for them on my truck, plus I still need the compressor and solenoids and stuff, plus to do a real train blast I'm going to need a sizeable compressor. Work in progress :dunno:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts