Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1999 Ford F250 Superduty. Its an early 1999, made in 12/98, 2WD, automatic, with a 4" exhaust, stock air filter. Right now I get 16 - 16.5 mpg, generally short drives (10 miles or less). I'd like to get MPG up, as well as get a little performance boost. I tried using my dad's Superchip off his truck, set it on performance mode, it ran great and actually picked the MPG up to about 17.5.
My question is: considering I only drive 10 miles a day, usually at 40 - 50 MPH at 1200 to 1500 RPM, would an economy programmer like the Hypertech E-Con, improve the mileage anymore than a performance programer at such low cruising RPMs?

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you are spending money I would recommend you look into a custom tuned chip from Tony Wildman or Total Diesel Performance. I have used programmers and you don't get everything a chip can offer.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
No matter what you do an early 99 factory intake needs replacing, if you’re worried about a couple miles per gallon cost then you’ll sure be upset when it costs $10,000 to replace the dusted engine.
DIY intake is about $40.
Before you can add any chip or programmer you gotta have gauges, about $300.
Superchips is pretty good for someone who doesn’t want to do much more than stock, they can be had for about $200 on eBay. But you could add just a little to it and get the TW custom tuned flip chip, much, much better product. You will probably start off like me, trying to save a dollar and get out cheap, then after a while you upgrade some, then some more, next thing you know you have spent way way more than if you had of done it right in the beginning. No matter what you do, don’t expect a big mileage gain and you want be disappointed.
Check this out; Stealth Automotive. Tony Wildman Chip/ Gauge Combo

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I would def. get a tony wildman chip, I just got rid of my hypertech maxenergy in favor of it, im getting better fuel mileage, and the seat of the pants difference is amazing. in fact I wish I woulda listened to these guys first and saved myself some money, instead of buying the hypertech then selling it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not expecting incredible mileage, just a little extra. The truck needs a little extra power anyway. Just out of curiousity, what kind of MPG differences do you guys see between economy setting and the other settings on your TW chips? Do think a 2WD can make to 19 or 20?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
well i just got my tw, so naturally i have really been smokin at every stop, but goin back and forth from economy-to the highest setting i averaged 16.25 around town, naturally on the highway i would keep it on the economy setting, and yes my 2wd averaged 22mpg from augusta,ga to little rock,ar...my mods are in my sig.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
If you are spending money I would recommend you look into a custom tuned chip from Tony Wildman or Total Diesel Performance. I have used programmers and you don't get everything a chip can offer.
What?????????

There is no difference at all in performance between a chip or a programmer!! They are simply two different devices used to get the performance tune into the PCM. You can have DP's tunes placed on a programmer and they are the same tunes you would receive if you bought a chip. The difference comes between Generic tunes from companies like Bullydog, Edge, Hypertech, Superchips, Banks etc......... compared to a real performance tune from DP and TW. I just want to make that clear.

Back to the OP. As you have already been told, you need to do supporting mods before adding more ponies to your stock powertrain. In order they should be
Gauges
Intake/Exhaust
Support Auto Trans with VB

Then and only then should you be adding more ponies.
The best way to increase mpg is to control your right foot!!
Good Day

NCH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts