Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting Ready to build a stronger trans and need help selecting a torque converter. Aside from a BTS converter Who else make a good strong 3 disk converter? I also wondered what people think about the 5 disk converters, are they any better and worth the extra money from the 3 disk converters. thanks much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just rebuilt my trans and bought a 3 disk TC from Dacco Detroit, it was about $400 with an $85 core. They suggested I didn't buy the Billet unit from them because it was a waste of my money. I told them I will pull travel trailers and flatbeds with cars mostly, and they believed stock is good enough, anything better is just insurance.
I'm not a mechanic though, just not afraid to try and ask when unsure.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I worry about if the extra money is worth it? I have to better than stock because of my lift, tires and chip. Are you saying the torque converter you bought was basicaly a stock stock converter?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Ray, the multi clutch billett from Dacco is a good unit. I've used hundrreds of them and never had a comeback. It is not a 3 disc clutch. It has one disc with clutch material on both sides and another clutch faceing on the dampner. It has 3 clutch faceings so they call it a 3 clutch.
patstac, I can't believe a Dacco salesman told you that. Especially since you told them you pulled heavy loads.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think that type of torque converter is better than the a three disk PI converter? Most folks have told me the more disk the better espically for trucks that are chipped, that tow and that have oversized tires.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I got a Revmaxx on mine, shifts well and its a stage 4 thats up to 800 horse. Recommend it!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Many of the trucks I've built trannies for have had chips in them. Again, I,ve never had a problem with the billett Dacco tc..

·
Registered
4 Posts
ipz2222;2658590 patstac said:
I can't either looking back at that conversation. :dunno: He said the Billet unit is not that much better, it only costed $100 more than the one I bought. I don't plan on upgrades and I don't drive it too hard(well sometimes). It should last a while, I want a 4X4 in the next few years anyway.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts