Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the market for a F450 and I am pretty much leaning to a 2010 F450 because of the interior and cost compared to a 2014+ 6.7 and that there are a lot of 2010s with low miles (30-40k) on the market.

YES..I know I will have to put a engine in at 100k miles give or take. Though which ever truck I do get I will be eventually going to the frame and building back up the way I want (bulletproof blah blah)

My question is basically if I'm willing to spend the new engine money and everything that goes with it, is there any other reason to spend the $ to get a 6.7 (don't need 1000ftlb tq)? Its a truck for the business. Will get about 10k miles a year or so.

Bonus is I really like the 6.4 looks over the 6.0 amd 6.7

Pic for attention.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,943 Posts
Uhhhhh... The 6.7 is BETTER... There is no such thing as a bulletproof 6.4, sorry to burst your bubble. If you are buying the truck because you want to have fun and dont care how much it costs... Get the 6.4, they are a blast. Right up until you are putting the 3rd motor in for the same cracked piston.

Yes, the 6.4 looks better......... We all agree. But, if you can afford to put a motor in it... A built motor (or so you say), you are already in it for the cost of a low mile super clean 6.7.

Nothing about this post makes any sense... Quick math... $30,000 for truck, $18,000 for motor (may or may not need it but rest assured, when it fails it will be when you need it most) near as makes no difference $50,000! I bought my loaded '15 last year for less than $40,000 and it had 40k miles on it.

Lets not forget the fact that when the 6.4 finds its way into the shop, its gonna sit there. For a while, until the shop finds the part. Then the cabs coming off, and they will find 8 more things wrong that you didnt notice when you bought it. Then its gonna sit on the lift, torn down for 3 months while you come to the reality that you could have had a 6.7 for literally the same price BEFORE THE MOTOR.

Trying to be nice here, but you may wana find that signal before buying a truck. And yes, I loved my 6.4. No, there was nothing wrong with it when I traded it in for the 6.7. I just did some math, and reality set in... 6.4s dont age well. They really are fun if you have the money to throw at them, but I don't want to plan to put a motor in my truck... I just wana get up in the morning, turn the key, and know im gonna get to work. Not much of anything needs to be done to make the 6.7 bulletproof... They run for a long time, even with emissions.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Don't even bother then, get something different if you'd rather get a 6.4 over a 6.7.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uhhhhh... The 6.7 is BETTER... There is no such thing as a bulletproof 6.4, sorry to burst your bubble. If you are buying the truck because you want to have fun and dont care how much it costs... Get the 6.4, they are a blast. Right up until you are putting the 3rd motor in for the same cracked piston.

Yes, the 6.4 looks better......... We all agree. But, if you can afford to put a motor in it... A built motor (or so you say), you are already in it for the cost of a low mile super clean 6.7.

Nothing about this post makes any sense... Quick math... $30,000 for truck, $18,000 for motor (may or may not need it but rest assured, when it fails it will be when you need it most) near as makes no difference $50,000! I bought my loaded '15 last year for less than $40,000 and it had 40k miles on it.

Lets not forget the fact that when the 6.4 finds its way into the shop, its gonna sit there. For a while, until the shop finds the part. Then the cabs coming off, and they will find 8 more things wrong that you didnt notice when you bought it. Then its gonna sit on the lift, torn down for 3 months while you come to the reality that you could have had a 6.7 for literally the same price BEFORE THE MOTOR.

Trying to be nice here, but you may wana find that signal before buying a truck. And yes, I loved my 6.4. No, there was nothing wrong with it when I traded it in for the 6.7. I just did some math, and reality set in... 6.4s dont age well. They really are fun if you have the money to throw at them, but I don't want to plan to put a motor in my truck... I just wana get up in the morning, turn the key, and know im gonna get to work. Not much of anything needs to be done to make the 6.7 bulletproof... They run for a long time, even with emissions.
Yeah I couldn't delete the post after I made it. Reread it and ran the numbers and it absolutely doesnt make sence not to get a 6.7. Actually a 2017+ is a better buy than any 6.4. Over the long haul.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
It depends on how you use your truck. If you do most of your driving in stop and go traffic with a lot of idling time stay away from the 6.4.
Avoid it like it was a mother grizzly bear with cubs.
If you spend most of your time on the highway and have no problem with the extreme maintenance schedule the 6.4 is a pleasure.
Exhaust filter cleaning (regen) while at idle will ruin these engines quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go with the 6.4. Far the best deal on the market. Very reliable engine- don’t listen to folks saying 100-150K tops. The problem is, people tune those trucks, abuse them, and they blow. Keep it stock, do the maintenance, and it will last 350-500K with no issues.

·
Super Moderator
5,943 Posts
Go with the 6.4. Far the best deal on the market. Very reliable engine- don’t listen to folks saying 100-150K tops. The problem is, people tune those trucks, abuse them, and they blow. Keep it stock, do the maintenance, and it will last 350-500K with no issues.
Yeahhhhh... Go home, you are drunk. Enjoy changing the oil every 3k miles....

·
Hate stupid people
8,501 Posts
without thinking I can name 10 local guys who have blown up stock 6.4s who did exactly what you advised. these aren't kids/hot rodders/ heavy tow rigs just daily drivers from home-work.

nothing about your post is accurate.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
He's probably mad he bought a 6.4 and is already $8k in repairs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No it’s definitely accurate. I can think of 10 local guys who’ve had zero problems and their 10-12 year old trucks are still running strong.

Great truck - better than the 6.7. And for a lot less money. But there’s the rub, isn’t it?

·
Super Moderator
5,943 Posts
No it’s definitely accurate. I can think of 10 local guys who’ve had zero problems and their 10-12 year old trucks are still running strong.

Great truck - better than the 6.7. And for a lot less money. But there’s the rub, isn’t it?
Nope...

One can only hope you are trolling, the light bulb upstairs is pretty dim if you actually believe any of that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nope...

One can only hope you are trolling, the light bulb upstairs is pretty dim if you actually believe any of that.
Ok I have 2008 6.4 with 200,000 on it. All stock. Still have the DPF and ERG systems on it. Use it to pull a 9,200 lbs of travel trailer all across this county. Never had it to take it in, did all of my own maintenance. So, there is good and bad in each. Neighbor just blow his 2015 6.7 towing my travel trail on a flat road.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeahhhhh... Go home, you are drunk. Enjoy changing the oil every 3k miles....
Total bull****....I got mine used (08 F450 4x4) w 96k on it. First thing was mods to all of it from engine back (you know what im sayin), even new exhaust manifolds and up pipes. 5" straight to the back, tow tune, new coolant and all fluids, thermostats, proactively changed front cover and all the rocker arms, etc. I use the best syn fluids that are easily avail, change oil religiously at 8k, fuel filters every other change, drain the fuel pre filter every other week. This truck runs well, no issues, now at 168k.
It has great power and pulls my 15k 5th wheel all over the east coast. I monitor ECT/EOT/EGT and trans temp very closely and dont abuse the truck. It has 4.88 gearing and is a beast. Im planning on putting 300+k on this truck. This "it will blow any min" is bull****...buy the truck, do the regular mods and dont abuse it

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
484 Posts
lol

10chars

·
Super Moderator
5,943 Posts
Or, you could buy a 6.7 and not have to do the cab off work that you did and still get to 300k miles... And lets not forget the fuel savings, a stock 6.4 MIGHT get 12mpg (Going down hill with a tail wind) if the stars align...

Dono why I am arguing... Owned one (a reliable one...) and couldn't be happier with my decision to trade it in. They aren't worth keeping on the road, quality parts are getting too hard/expensive to find, shops dont want to work on them, the list goes on and on. And the reality is you can find a nice 6.7 for around the same price as a low mile 2010 6.4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice brother. Glad you’re running strong. I’m all stock and still trucking strong at 180k. Love the 6.4. Maintained it well, and it’s taking care of me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts