Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Which motor should i get

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok some time when i get out of high school and finish auto classes and my diesel
teck course i want to get a powerstroke what do you recommend i get?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anybody have any recommendation? i am leaning toward a nice 7.3L around 1999?
:dunno:
:(

PLEASE VOTE AND RECOMMEND TRUCKS OPEN TO DIFF YEARS

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you get a 7.3 then try to find a 2002 or early 03. They're more refined, just have a nicer look. The 7.3 is a great choice for sure. I'd go that, or a 6.7.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input yeah that 6.7L sounds like a heck of an engine maybe by the time i get out of school 6.7L will be a bit cheaper

·
Registered
489 Posts
yea they'll be cheaper, and there will be way more feedback on them. Not to mention more aftermarket components.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
more power :nod: maybe i will buy both i love those 7.3L very reliable

·
Registered
489 Posts
very reliable indeed

·
Addicted to the Rattle
674 Posts
One more vote on the 7.3! The last GREAT engine made by Navistar for Ford. Go with whatever year you want on it, but I'd steer clear of early 1999 due to the frankenstein type setup of it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i do like the early 1997 style but hp are low i guess a few mods could help that

Appreciate all the input keep it coming :nod:

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
My vote was for the 6.0. Great engine, gobs of power, AND it still sounds like a diesel! :D

·
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!!!!!
254 Posts
7.3 HERE!!!!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are somethings that go wrong with the 6.0? i heard you want to get the late model 6.0?

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
If get a 7.3 with forged rods. A late 99 or 2000. Then put all the newer stuff on it to make it appeal as a newer truck.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
What are somethings that go wrong with the 6.0? i heard you want to get the late model 6.0?
First, the oil cooler will plug, making the EGR cooler rupture sending coolant into the cylinders, and then popping the head gaskets.

Remedy: install coolant bypass filter to remove the casting sand and debris from the cooling system that clogs the oil cooler. Dieselsite is where I will be getting mine from :nod:

Go with an 05-07 MY

·
Registered
190 Posts
I dont know how many years you are talking about here but by the time you get out of school those old 7.3s might be pretty hard to find with less than 250k on them, they are already starting to get harder to find. Im not sure how long your talking about or your financial situation is but in a few years the 6.4 will be coming down in price and might be within reach. Wouldnt be a bad idea to check into one of those, they arent bulletproof but are still a good motor.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont know how many years you are talking about here but by the time you get out of school those old 7.3s might be pretty hard to find with less than 250k on them, they are already starting to get harder to f.
but there is always crate motors :) but with the 6.4 what are things to look for? things that go wrong?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First, the oil cooler will plug, making the EGR cooler rupture sending coolant into the cylinders, and then popping the head gaskets.

Remedy: install coolant bypass filter to remove the casting sand and debris from the cooling system that clogs the oil cooler. Dieselsite is where I will be getting mine from
Now this is what you are talking about right 6.0L Coolant Bypass maybe i should get my dad to buy this for the 6.0 he got (his dad died this year)

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
The 6.0 s are bad a**! i love mine! cant wait to go crazy with the mods! i think they are the best looking trucks to!

·
Addicted to the Rattle
674 Posts
I'm a 7.3 fan til the end, but from what I've heard, if you're going with a 6.0, go with a 2005 or newer. All the kinks were worked out by then.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts