Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title says I am wanting to replace the side mirrors on my E99. Current mirrors are power adjust only.

I have done research on mirrors but always trust your guys input on things so I am asking your opinions on this.

One question I have is up-grading to side mirrors with heat and blinkers - is it easy or is the wiring a lot of work?

Thanks for your time and input, Daryl

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
As title says I am wanting to replace the side mirrors on my E99. Current mirrors are power adjust only.

I have done research on mirrors but always trust your guys input on things so I am asking your opinions on this.

One question I have is up-grading to side mirrors with heat and blinkers - is it easy or is the wiring a lot of work?

Thanks for your time and input, Daryl

I didn't want to mess with wiring for heat and blinkers but I went to 1aauto.com and ordered the 2008 mirror upgrade kit. Huge improvement for visibility and a nicer modern look.

just got to 1aauto.com and type in your year, make, model etc and select the mirrors section. 1Aauto already spliced the wire adapter to the older style so you just remove your mirror and plug these ones in. It is a very common upgrade.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I plan on upgrading mine . I am going to do the heated ,turn signals, and clearance lite, still toying with the power folding though. Have read a fair amount on doing the wiring and it does not look to be all that hard if you have some mechanical skills. The A-1s do seem to be the one of choice for a lot of guys.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I plan on upgrading mine . I am going to do the heated ,turn signals, and clearance lite, still toying with the power folding though. Have read a fair amount on doing the wiring and it does not look to be all that hard if you have some mechanical skills. The A-1s do seem to be the one of choice for a lot of guys.

My dad has a 2017 with the folding mirrors. I didn't think they'd be that useful but when we were hunting last year we used them constantly when snaking through tight tracks. Whenever I get around to replacing the mirrors on my 2000 I will get the folding ones.

·
Registered
427 Posts
just got to 1aauto.com and type in your year, make, model etc and select the mirrors section. 1Aauto already spliced the wire adapter to the older style so you just remove your mirror and plug these ones in. It is a very common upgrade.
When I did my E99 I still had to bring the blinkers and heater into the mirror. The only plug and play part was the power adjust.

I wired my heat from the key switch to a toggle switch and then to the mirror. For the blinkers I just spliced into the headlight blinker and ran a wire back to the door.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm for sure doing a mirror upgrade as well, prolly just power-adjust only. I'm lazy, lol.

It's funny, this truck is the first I've ever owned with blind-spot mirrors. Thought they were the greatest thing ever at first, but pretty quick I was wanting more field of view out of them.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
When I did my E99 I still had to bring the blinkers and heater into the mirror. The only plug and play part was the power adjust.

I wired my heat from the key switch to a toggle switch and then to the mirror. For the blinkers I just spliced into the headlight blinker and ran a wire back to the door.
I should of clarified. They splice the wires for your current set up. Adding the features your truck didn't already come with requires wires/switches etc on the users end. The truck that came with power only USUALLY didn't have the wires for blinkers and heat. I'll be more specific next time :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Power for running light is available at rear of light switch or the trailer-brake connector. Brown wire. Blinker wires are available at the base of the steering column. I forget the wire colors, but they are the same color as at the front turn sig. No need to run all the way to the front of the truck.

If you get the mirrors that have two bulbs per mirror (marker and blinker) there is a common ground wire just for the lights. Connect this ground to the marker light wire. Connect the marker light to ground. And the other light to the blinker wire. With park lights on, both bulbs illuminate as markers. With turn signal, one of them blinks. With marker lights on, the blinker is opposite the turn signals, with marker lights off, the blinker is with the turn signals.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the great advice!!

Now you have me thinking of heated mirrors for when I am up north in the winter.

And then there is the folding mirrors for out back camping........... Simple job beginning to get more involved! LOL

·
Registered
142 Posts
1A is the best look
Wiring is quick and easy
A timed switch is best for the heat function, such as a defrost switch from a 96 explorer
(Got that trick from the guys on this site)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 10 of 10 Posts