Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked under my 97 F350 dash and saw this box so apparently it came with a remote entry system but none came with the truck. Can anybody tell me which fob I need to get (so I know I'm getting the right one) and where I'd get one other than a dealership?

·
Interior Guru
14,596 Posts
This is what the truck came with Factory...

NEW FORD REMOTE KEY KEYLESS ENTRY FOB TRANSMITTER | eBay

I think you can use almost any Ford Key Fob, even ones with a trunk button.

Try junkyards in your area. They are fairly easy to program in, turn on the key, and touch the programming pins together (grey two-pin plug, just use a peice of wire to touch them together) then press the lock button on the remote.

If someone has the absolute correct way to do it, post it up, but Im pretty sure thats how.

·
Registered
999 Posts
They are fairly easy to program in, turn on the key, and touch the programming pins together (grey two-pin plug, just use a peice of wire to touch them together) then press the lock button on the remote.

If someone has the absolute correct way to do it, post it up, but Im pretty sure thats how.
That is the correct way to program the remotes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome answers. Just for the sake of clarity, does it listen only while it's jumpered or does it go into a listening/programming mode for so many seconds like my garage door does?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Interior Guru
14,596 Posts
Only whenever they are touching.

The doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming as well.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
This is the style of fobs you want to look for. Fobs from newer models with rounded buttons don't work with these trucks.

This is straight from the ford service manual:
Programming procedure:
The module erases all previous keyless entry remote transmitters from memory when the remotes are programmed. The module can store up to four remotes in memory.

Turn ignition switch to RUN position and momentarily short the two terminals of the program connector (a two-pin connector taped to the wire assembly with gray/yellow and white/yellow wires). All doors should lock then unlock. Remove shorting pin.

Press any button on each remote. All doors should lock then unlock, to verify that the remote has been programmed.
NOTE: If door locks do not respond, press button again (up to three times maximum with the same remote).
Turn ignition switch OFF. All doors should lock then unlock.
Test operation of remotes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Alberta!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just bought my truck, it's a 96 f350 XLT, it did not come with a remote, how do I check to see if it is equipped with keyless entry?

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just happened to be under my dash running stereo, camera and CB cables and happened to see the box in the pic above. My other truck has an aftermarket box from 1990 that I still need to research so it looks a bit different. Other than seeing it in some documents, I don't know how else you could find out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts