• Other please list in the thread

Votes: 117 5.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 623 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that we could make a sticky with a poll, about tuners since the questions seems to arise once a week or so. Not that I have an issue with helping them get on the right path :sct:. It might be cool for people to just go to a thread post and see what the majority of us run on our trucks. It was mentioned in another thread as to how many people use the SCT verses any other tuner.

Also, if you have used one tuner, and got rid of it for one reason or another please post your comments

·
Registered
733 Posts
I thought that we could make a sticky with a poll, about tuners since the questions seems to arise once a week or so. Not that I have an issue with helping them get on the right path :sct:. It might be cool for people to just go to a thread post and see what the majority of us run on our trucks. It was mentioned in another thread as to how many people use the SCT verses any other tuner.

Also, if you have used one tuner, and got rid of it for one reason or another please post your comments

It sucks sometimes using a tuner that isn't on the market that appears to be better then what is currently available(and I do have experiance with bullydog and SCT, the others not so much only thru other people).

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too bad nobody has ever heard of the one your testing :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
It sucks sometimes using a tuner that isn't on the market that appears to be better then what is currently available(and I do have experiance with bullydog and SCT, the others not so much only thru other people).
Too bad nobody has ever heard of the one your testing :dunno:
Actually many people have heard of it. Any many use it. Just not on the 6.0 because it hasn't been released yet. He's testing the Spartan phalanx (Dash Daq)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Actually many people have heard of it. Any many use it. Just not on the 6.0 because it hasn't been released yet. He's testing the Spartan phalanx (Dash Daq)
Yep. Go to the 6.4 forum here especially and they won't be suggesting SCT, they'll be suggesting the Phalanx. Even some of the stauncher supporters of SCT on the 6.0 forum will complain about what the SCT can(or in this case can't do) when compared to the Phalanx for the 6.4.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
When I first bought my Diablosport tuner I was impressed on how clean the power is.
Then I started reading this forum....and started paying attention to the shifting.
0-1/4 pedal the shifting is great throught all the gears...this however is too slow for me.
1/4 to 3/4 pedal shifting is good to 3rd gear then when it shifts to 4th it seems like it is slipping. (at this point I put my truck back to stock...the trans shifts just fine stock).
At WOT the trans shifts great just like it should....but I cant run this way all the time.
This was tested on the 100hp setting on my predator.

I PMed on of the guys at Diablosport and they told me they dont flash the trans....I dont think they have any plans to either.
So if I dont want to do permanent damage to my trans then either I have to get a shift kit installed or go with a programer that tunes the trans as well as the motor..
Next month I am getting and SCT I guess.

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
I've only had SCT with tunes from Innovative and don't have anything bad to say.

After reading what some of the other tuners have done the 6.0 and trans, I'm glad I have my SCT

·
Registered
724 Posts
the sct is the way to go with the 6.0 atleast until spartan releases their 6.0 tuning then sct might have some competition with that market as well.

and my parents had the predator and said it was good for reading codes

·
The Lady Mod
8,515 Posts
I have experience with both the SCT and the older Predator aka Pukator. While the Predator makes nice Power ( 100 hp mode) it is really hard on the head gaskets and the tranny ( due to no tranny tuning). My 1st and 2nd set of heads were a direct result of the Predator, as well as the tranny failure. As my signature states, I am now using the SCT with custom tunes. Don't even think about the canned tunes that the tuners come with, they do not even compare with custom tuning, but that is just my opinion. I only wish I could afford the "new" Spartan tuner.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
i will start off by saything that i do not like sct. i had one on my 7.3 and it didnt work half the time and other times it works and then i lost my stock flash file and sct could not give me another one so i had to take it to the ford dealer and have a stock flash file installed. now i will say that my buddy has an 04 6.0 with an sct x3 with an insanity tune. he has head studs but he didnt need them he just did it for reliablitly. that thing rails. i had a dp 140 tune on my 7.3 and 35s he has the tuner 22.5 alcoas 6inch lift and a 2500 lbs welder in the back of his truck and he beat me... so i was sold on elites tuning from then on.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have experience with both the SCT and the older Predator aka Pukator. While the Predator makes nice Power ( 100 hp mode) it is really hard on the head gaskets and the tranny ( due to no tranny tuning). My 1st and 2nd set of heads were a direct result of the Predator, as well as the tranny failure. As my signature states, I am now using the SCT with custom tunes. Don't even think about the canned tunes that the tuners come with, they do not even compare with custom tuning, but that is just my opinion. I only wish I could afford the "new" Spartan tuner.
ill see what i can do mother.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have the old SCT II on the Lightning with 3 tunes and a SCT III with 3 tunes from Innavative. I swapped over years ago when my Diablo sport tuner only held one tune and it lost that while trying to check for codes and bad plugs in the Lightning. After I had to limp the truck 200 miles to the dyno again, I wanted something worth having and could keep the tunes in it. Never tried any of the rest. All I can say for the diesel is it flat hauls. It's fast enough for me anyway. I've nick named it Thunder, brother of Lightning.

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
were is NONE in your poll. Thats what i vote for.
Well that's no fun :hehe:

I should have added "none" and "other" to the poll :dunno:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Honestly, everyone here HATES the Bully dog Triple Dog and the Edge. Buddy of mine has the EDGE with the monitor and his shifts very smooth and has great power. i love how he can change tunes on the fly and i have to stop and turn the truck off and switch tunes. However i do believe that mine shifts a little better.
on the Bully Dog triple dog, i thought it had good power. It was lacking in low end power where as the SCT and the EDGE both have this covered. However the trans shifted firm it sometimes felt like it was too hard and got confused easily. but after you let it re-learn with the tune it felt great.
nothing does compare to the SCT though, ERIC's tunes are amazing Xtreme throws a ton of coal and the power and shifting is 100% spot on. Only thing i wish is the Aggressive tow and Street tunes smoked just a little.
other than not being able to adjust on the fly. I'm loving my SCT with Eric's tunes. Just cant wait to get my truck back with ARP's installed, will be needing new tires sooner than i thought ;-)

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honestly, everyone here HATES the Bully dog Triple Dog and the Edge. Buddy of mine has the EDGE with the monitor and his shifts very smooth and has great power. i love how he can change tunes on the fly and i have to stop and turn the truck off and switch tunes. However i do believe that mine shifts a little better.
on the Bully Dog triple dog, i thought it had good power. It was lacking in low end power where as the SCT and the EDGE both have this covered. However the trans shifted firm it sometimes felt like it was too hard and got confused easily. but after you let it re-learn with the tune it felt great.
nothing does compare to the SCT though, ERIC's tunes are amazing Xtreme throws a ton of coal and the power and shifting is 100% spot on. Only thing i wish is the Aggressive tow and Street tunes smoked just a little.
other than not being able to adjust on the fly. I'm loving my SCT with Eric's tunes. Just cant wait to get my truck back with ARP's installed, will be needing new tires sooner than i thought ;-)
I'm sure that can be fixed :wink[3]:. Mine doesn't smoke at all on any of my tunes, including Extreme race, and I'd rather it didn't. I guess you have to ask for that :dunno:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
smoke = wasted power...

My extreme tunes smoke a bit, until the turbo lights then its just a slight haze... perfect!

Adjusting on the fly for a vehicle that wasn't meant to isn't good either..., your power levels are being adjsuted sure, but your transmission isn't taking anymore tuning. In order to tune the tranny you have to STOP, shut off and retune. You can adjust power levels all you want but the tranny stays where ever you last left it.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,740 Posts
:popcorn2::popcorn:

1 - 20 of 623 Posts