Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MPG - which programmer gives the best mpg increase?

i have a 2008 f-350 w/a 6.4l. i am only interested in increasing my mpg. my truck is currently stock.

primarily, increase hp and torque have no interest to me.

just want to get my fuel comsumption up. the simpler the solution the better i think......

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks millions!
mark turik

·
Registered
387 Posts
The only way to get your mileage up at all to to remove the DPF with a tuner and DPF delete pipe. Up to 4mpg increase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your help.

i am very, very new at this, could you please explain exactly what you mean by
"remove the DPF with a tuner and DPF delete pipe'

and which tuner/programmer would you recommend for my 6.4l f-350?

again,
thanks for helping me, i am new at this forum thing!

·
Registered
387 Posts
The DPF & DOC is the reason these new diesels will not blow any black smoke, it's also the reason you much run ***Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel***. It's a very large filter located on the exhaust system under the passenger side rear door. This can be removed but only with a custom made pipe, which you can buy or build yourself. But if you remove it you must reprogram the truck so that the regeneration cycle does not turn on. It's not a cheap fix, roughly for a complete set-up from Bay Area Diesel Performance, but it will eventually pay for itself in the long run.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The DPF & DOC is the reason these new diesels will not blow any black smoke, it's also the reason you much run ***Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel***. It's a very large filter located on the exhaust system under the passenger side rear door. This can be removed but only with a custom made pipe, which you can buy or build yourself. But if you remove it you must reprogram the truck so that the regeneration cycle does not turn on. It's not a cheap fix, roughly for a complete set-up from Bay Area Diesel Performance, but it will eventually pay for itself in the long run.
Hmm few things, DPF and CAT the DOC is way up closer towards the turbo, no one has removed the DOC, maybe from Bay Area Diesel, but im sure the other companies he forgot to mention maybe cheaper, talk to Mike at Kem Pro, Matt at Spartan Diesel, or Eric at Innovative Diesel the main difrence I think are the tuner base they use. Also if you do go the route and remove the DPF/CAT you should know your gonna jepordize your warranty with Ford motor co. BIG TIME, also don't forgot to put those sensors back into the delete pipe or the truck won't run for to long.

-Kem Pro: First to figure out regen delete and sell a DPF/CAT delete kit used Flashpaq when I was a customer
-Spartan Diesel: Worked VERY closely with Kem and is currently working the tweak out of his tuners with run around 500HP on the Dyno, option to use DashDaq
-Innovative Diesel: Been doing this for a while, has a lot of tunes out for the 6.0 guys which have nothing but good things to say about him and his company, option to use SCT/Livewire for tunes/monitoring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have heard that the BULLY PUP is desgined for iMproving fuel mpg. what is the truth and are there other good and easy alternatives?
i am waiting with excitement to hear what you all have to say!
most appreciative!
mark turik

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
If you just want a little power and added economy, I would try the Hypertech. Its cheap and easy to use. Probably gain 1 to 2 mpg tops, but your investment will be minimal. I have sold many for the 6.4L and have only had one sent back. Everyone local to us is affraid to mess with the new trucks. So I have no personal experience. I do have a couple guys waiting for the Innovative tunes and the filter delete, but your talking lots of cabbage, and they are not looking for fuel economy. I'm sure with a delete for the cat and filter you would see the biggest gains. If your looking for performance the Hypertech is not what a person would want either.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Here is my :twocents: If you do deside to remove the DPF I would wait until your truck has anywhere from 5k-10K miles on it to make sure nothing messes up. Anyone that has had major problems most have had problems from the get go. Not to sure of how many miles you go in one year or what your fuel cost is but here is my math. KEM/Spartan Programmer & Delete Pipe $1300.00(Dont hold me to it but i think) Cold Air Intake (I did AFE PRO DRY w/TORQUE TUBE) $265 + 81.xx=346.xx Cost is about 1650

Some on here are seeing 18-23mpg with these mods

15000 miles per year @ 11mpg @ $3.85= 5250 a year on fuel (If price stays same)

15000 miles per year @ 18mpg @ $3.85= 3208.33 Pays for itself in less thank one year, but does take your warranty away, Your call buddy, But i'm just waiting on my call from KEM:woot:

·
Registered
1 Posts
MPG programmers

I have a 2002 Excursion 7.3 L and am transporting Travel Trailers (7400-10,00 lbs) Am I making a mistake in doing this. Also, someone suggested to put a mpg programmer on it to increase mpg. What do you think? Also, Just read about an exhaust brake, any Feed Back?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here is my 2 cents. I purchased my 08 F350 with the 6.4 about a month ago. It had the Spartan tuner in it with the DPF removed, but when i got the truck the tuner was removed. I drove the truck to Spartan without the tuner and the mpg indicator read 8.2 mpg. (trailer in tow) After the tuner was installed, on the way home, the indicator read 17.8 mpg. Without the trailer it reads 24.8 mpg. I am not sure if it is accurate, but if it was inaccurate before the tune, it would be the same after the tune. I would definitely recommend the Spartan to anyone with the 6.4. I am going to Florida next week with the trailer, and plan to measure the fuel consumption by the mileage and fuel used, so I will post the results on here.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
106 Posts
If I had to depend on the truck for my income I would not get a 6.4 for one reason: milage. You are probably looking at a dually. I have been reading this and two other forums over the past couple of years. An F450 or F350 dually will get around 8 mpg while towing. What do you get now? A couple of mpg can mean a big difference if you are earning your living with one of these trucks. If you can make your truck last a few more years I would wait and see how the 6.7s are holding up and buy one of those since they seem to have better milage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts