Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds extremely stupid and noobish but which part exactly helps to steer easier? My buddy with a 2012 dmax with 35's can simply steer in place, i have to be moving in order to steer or I'll blow my power steering. I feel like an idiot because im sure the answer is as simple as can be. :banging::doh:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
The power steering pump? Is that what you're wanting?
You're also comparing a truck to one 6 years newer.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
No it's not a simple fix. Our trucks aren't strong enough to turn anything bigger than stock. In fact mine wont even turn stock size tires sitting still ever since I installed my lift that came with a drop pitman arm.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Use the search bar up in the top left and put in "Power-steering flush" when you find the write-up, do it. It will help steering a lot and also don't forget to pump your brakes so that you can get new fluid in the brake booster. Also FYI our trucks use trans fluid in the power-steering. DO NOT put power-steering fluid in there.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
No it's not a simple fix. Our trucks aren't strong enough to turn anything bigger than stock. In fact mine wont even turn stock size tires sitting still ever since I installed my lift that came with a drop pitman arm.
I have stock suspension, but before I did the power-steering flush my truck could not turn my 35's while sitting still. After the flush I can now turn them, I mean it's not like you can turn it with your pinky finger but you can do it one-handed pretty easy.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
I might have to try this then because I'm still on stock tires but as soon as I put on the drop pitman arm you have to be moving to turn. I was told there was no way to fix it without adding some sort of steering assist

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine had the same problem but my steering box was shot and its a little easier since i replaced it. Kinda makes me mad when i get in my 86 chevy on 40's and i can turn it in place with 1 finger. And its 19 years older

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I've never had a issue turning tires from my 38s to 35s but I did adjust my gear box so idk if that made a difference

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Duraturds also have a rack and pinion style steering setup to compliment the IFS if I'm not mistaken. That may help as well. IDK.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Hydraulic Ram assit steering bud. Lots of rock crawler guys and people running real big tires go with that. Basically you tap your gear box to each side. Run lines to a hydraluic shock that acts as a ram.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Cheapest easiest solution, use the throttle pedal.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Another possible solution would be to get a smaller pulley for the power steering pump. Not sure if they make one or if one from a different year truck would work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts