Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for an excursion for awhile. Now, i've found two. I was dead set on a 7.3, but now i think I might want a 6.0. So here's the two excursion.

2001 7.3 4wd limited
-105,000 miles
-original owner, 70 year old man
-middle seat has been sat on maybe a dozen times, third row was taken out and put in a spare bedroom the day he brought it home from the dealer.
-middle bench and third row bench
-very clean
-turbo temp monitor
-trans. temp, turbo boost, and egt pillar gauges
-no performance mods
-stanadyne in every fill up
-transmission had a problem at 50,000, the old man said it was a part part in there that ford knew about but didn't recall. he said basically a rebuilt tranny by ford.
-pulled a 5,900 boat probably a dozen times a year
-pretty much untouched stock truck
$14,000

2005 eb 4wd
-145,000 miles
-2 owners
-interior is clean, two front seats show some wear
-second row captains and third row bench very clean
-dvd (factory)
-navigation (pioneer)
-oasis shows
*feb.08, 69,396 miles replaced 2,3,6,8 injectors
*feb.08, 69,396 miles replaced egr cooler hose and resealed egr cooler
*apr.08, 73,450 miles replaced hpop fittings
*sep.08, 92,113 miles cleaned turbo veins
-sct tuner
-no gauges
-4" lift
-18" wheels with 33's
-the owner now replaced the FICM this year
-clean truck
$13,500

I was set on the 7.3, but now I'm not sure. What are your opinions on both and if you were in my shoes which would you buy?

Thanks - Shaun

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Thats a tough decision. I would be tempted to go with the 7.3, lower miles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'll probably get the 7.3. As long as I've been looking I just haven't come across any with that low of miles and the condition of this one for even close to the price. Thanks brother!

Shaun

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
One owner that seems to know his stuff is always good. I like the 05+ front end/suspension so much better than the older version, but the low miles is probably worth it.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
2005 6.0 all the way hands down. Better suspension, more power. Leaf spring suspension sucks when you see all these newer 6.0s and 6.4s and 6.7s they are that much better of a ride.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
I have an 04 X 6.0 so my decision might be a little biased. I would take the 6.0 delete the EGR, get a monitor system and go from there. I originally was looking for a 7.3 when I bought my X, but I am so glad I got the 6.0. That is a big difference in miles. It all boils down to personal preference. I love my 6.0 so much, I am looking for a 6.0 F-450 to add to the driveway.

·
Registered
825 Posts
They are all leaf spings.....

If the 7.3 is in really good shape cosmetic and mechanical I would get that over the 6.0 that has been lifted. If a old man drove it its probably in better condition than the 6.0.

FYI I bought a 2005 4x4 6.0 Eddie Bauer about 4 months ago and love it. 150k miles $14,000. I looked for 7.3 in my area and they wanted $17-20k. People are crazy askin that much!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
327 Posts
Im biased, but I think the '01 is the clear option here. We've had seven 7.3s in my family over the last 15 years, and the only maintenace ever done to them was oil/air filter changes. Our first '99 had some injector issues, but we bought it with 200k miles on it, so who knows how the previous owner maintained it. My brother had a '04 6.0 and my father had a '07 6.0 for a little while...both trucks had the usual issues, but nothing catastrophic.

Also, think of resale. In my area, 7.3s sell overnight, whereas 6.0s tend to sit for a while. No offense to anyone, just giving my opinion and experiences.

My father just bought a 2001 Excursion with 36k miles from a 70 year-old-man original owner. Old men don't beat on their trucks like young guys do.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Take the 7.3 all day. 6.0 with two owners and engine work done spell trouble. I have a 6.0 05 X and a 7.3 250. The 7.3 is the only choice here!

·
Registered
983 Posts
I love my 6.0 and am so glad I got it. For what I wanted to do it was the only choice. That being said if you have to pick from those 2 trucks I would choose the older 7.3. The newer truck has too many miles and a few minor problems. For the money the 7.3 is a better buy.

Now if you are in no rush wait it out. It took me over 6 month to find my Excursion. But I was picky and waited for the right ordeal to show up.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Look at what the 6.0 has had done to it already. I'd go 7.3 all dang day long. Yeah, more power to be had and all, but seriously. You won't have to spend 4000 bux plus to bulletproof it. Plus, the 7.3 ex rides very well for what it is. I drove a stocker and it felt like a town car compared to my truck. 7.3 FTW........there's a reason why ford produced it for so long ...

·
Registered
292 Posts
I guess I see it differently, the 05 6.0 had the injectors done early, and no problems since, that sounds like it has been sorted out. mine has 213 on the clock, it had injector work done around 80k. once they are worked over, they do OK. You get a much better transmission and much nicer interior in that 05. If you pas son the 05 - would you mind sending me a PM with the information on it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do either of them have a full maintenance record? The 7.3 is always a champ, but the 6's are quieter and have more power, etc, etc. I'd be curious to know why the EGR wasn't fully replaced instead of its seals fixed.

Whichever one you don't buy post a link - I need a new X...ha ha ha ha!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts