Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanting to know what everyone thinks about the newer f150 motors, ecoboost, 5.0L 6.2 and 5.4 i believe? i have been looking lately at them but would like to know what everyone thinks about them like which one would be best for mileage maintenance best overall and what not

any input is apreciated

·
Registered
618 Posts
300 straight six. Can't kill them suckers. :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Reactions: Harley516

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
the 6.2 and the ecoboost are nasty, my problem would be choosing which one I would want in my new F150, probably one of each lol :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha yeah my buddy has the ecoboost he says it goes pretty good but i have heard good stuff about the 5.0 too

·
Registered
335 Posts
Go with the Eco. I test drove my buddy's truck with it and I pray they come out with something like that for the Super Duty.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
6.2 and ecoboost I rate same, I have an ecoboost and my buddy has a raptor, both motors are extremely bad azz, only down fall is the govrrnator at 99 mph

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Bought the wife a 2011 5.0 F150 in january. Sounds great even in stock form. Decent mileage (17.5 going by the dash readout. Never hand-calculated it tho). Didn't have a single problem with it up when we traded it last week for a 2012 Ecoboost F150. Loving that lil V6 so far! Just waiting for the warrenty to run out so I can open up the exhaust and actually hear the turbo's! Still going thru the break-in period (only has 700 miles on it so far), so we don't know what the mpg's and maintenance will be like yet.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
We have a 5.0 and an ecoboost f150 ...the Eco is what my grandparents use for the fuel truck and tools for the tractors. Mileage is very similar. If it were my chioce, as ive owned 3 of the 5.4L......pure horsepower..6.2L is what id do for an f150. Its not a bad motor in the superduty. Pretty snappy empty.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The 6.2 is the motor ford should have put in their super duty a long time ago. 5.4 is a slug in a super duty. If I had to go gas, Chevy all the way. But the new 6.2 is a real decent engine.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Im not sure on this one 5.0 is great motor the Eco boost is powerful for a 6 cyl 5.4l has been in these trucks since I can remember. But the best motor for a F150 would be the strait 6 for reliablity (If you wanted a older truck). We beat the crud out of my buddys 6cyl 2wd. drove it into water treated the truck like we were trying to blow it up and never did sold it when the tranny pan got ripped off on a tree stump out 4wheeling in the 2wd!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here is what I have gathered as I am in the market for one. I am leaning towards the 5.0 for several reasons. The 6.2 will kill me on gas, they are not very common and I have not seen them come down off MSRP like the 5.0's and eco's. The ecoboost is a great motor no doubt. It gets the same amount of HP as the 5.0 and a substantial amount more torque. What I don't like about it is that the option is 1k....... not a lot of money but I figure you spend that on CAI/exhaust/tune you would probably be right there at the torque numbers of a stock ecoboost and more HP than a stock ecoboost. Also I have two co workers that have had issues with the ecoboosts. Lets face it the more complex these motors get the more you have the potential for issues. In the grand scheme of things the 5.0 is pretty basic. Lastly I think Ford is inflating the MPG for the ecoboosts. I know several guys that have then and they are not getting anywhere near to what it says on the sticker. To back that up all the magazine articles that have reviewed a 5.0 and an ecoboost show just about the same MPG numbers. Lastly I have heard from several folks with ecoboosts that if you hook up a trailer to them they tow GREAT but even if it is a small light trailer you can kiss your MPG's good bye. I thought with the turbo's and the good low end torque they would still get good MPG's. My cousin has an ecoboost and one of his friends has a 5.0. Both of us had trailers going to the deer lease with approximately the same load, I would say both were within 300 lbs of eachother. Same truck CCSB 4x4 W 3.73 ratio. My cousins eco got 10 he got 12.

I personally decided that I am going to wait of few more years to see a couple of things. I want to see how the ecoboosts hold up with 150k+ miles on them. Also I would like to see the second generation of this motor. What I really want to see is how the 5.0 does when they finally direct inject it. Supposedly the head was designed a few years ago to be easily modified to accept direct injection. If this happens we will see much better HP and MPG #'s from this motor. I think this will happen pretty quick since the new Chevy and GMC's slated to hit dealerships next year will be direct injected.

·
Registered
138 Posts
And the Twin-Turbo V6 will never replace the growl of a V8. Ever:nod:
I couldn't agree more. I really hope Ford direct injects the 5.0 sooner rather than later. I think the only reason they haven't is since they sank a boat load of money on engineering and marketing the ecoboost. I would bet good money that if you direct inject the 5.0 you would get as good hp/tq and MPG's as the ecoboost.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
the original 5.0 was a 301.76 iirc the current 302 is like 302.250 or something like that, but the original was a 4.9ish liter rounded up, and the current is 5.0 something er other rounded down a hair completely different build and block, not part of the windsor line its a coyote motor, and i still love my ecoboost, doesnt tow worth a sh!t compared to my 3/4 ton diesel, but hell it doesnt have to thats y i have a diesel tho. good luck either route you go, but i think with all the tuners and parts the ecoboost will out soar the 5.0 very easily just as the 5.0 can get a lil above the ecoboost in stock for easily

1 - 20 of 24 Posts