Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd hate to start another "oil" thread/flame war, that is NOT my intent...let me explain:
I was told from the start that when I bought a diesel, I should use Rotella oil. Now I've tried BOTH versions of Rotella (dino AND synthetic) and have found no major difference in the two. Both seem to do their job, and both give me about the same mileage when towing - which is 80% of what I bought this truck for in the first place.
A friend of mine has a Duramax diesel and all he uses is bottom-of-the-line bulk oil from Walmart. I told him that this will catch up with him in the long run, but he doesn't believe me.
Now, from what I've been reading lately, Rotella is considered to be crap, by the diesel afficianado's out there, but before I make my next purchase, I thought I'd get a consensus from other PSD owners.
It is rare for me to put more than 6000 miles per year on my trucks, since I use them basically for towing our RV.

My next choice of oil is either DELO or DELVAC...comments?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have heard that the Rotella has been changed. I ran it once or twice before switching to a full synthetic Schaffers oil. My truck truck had a weird lope at start up with that stuff. Currently I am running the Valvoline prem. blue. Truck seems much happier. No more lope.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I like valvoline also

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Both of my 7.3's run amsoil and I have no complaints other than cost.
Are you a preferred customer? You pay like $20 a year and you get the dealer prices...

I buy the Case of 2 (2.5 gal) containers and its originally $189.90. With the preferred discount I think it was $154 shipped. I know that $20 pays for itself on 1 oil change.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
I use Mobile Delvac 5W40 year round.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have done oil samples on The Val blue, Rottela 5w40 and 15w40 and the Schaffer. They are all good oils. I like the Schaffer best because they use a quantity of Molybdenum. I use their 80w90, ATF, Engine oil and grease. My oil samples have been coming back great. I run a fleet of 120 pieces of equipment and oil sample everything. Since I have changed over to Schaffer I have had no engine, diff or tranny, failures. Now I do run the full synthetic 5w40 Shell in my older gas engines because it has a nice high content of Zinc and Phosphorus. And I run the Valvoline 15w40 blue in a lot of heavy machinery due to the high cost of the Schaffer synthetic 15w40. Amsoil is on my list to sample too. I don’t know everything there is to know about oils but with sending oil samples in I have really learned a lot. Let me know if you have any other good oils and I will run them and sample them too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use Tractor Supply's All-Fleet 15W-40. I recently got a report back from Blackstone Labs. A quote from it: "It looks like the Tractor Supply Traveller All-Fleet 15W/40 oil is working quite well inside your 7.3L
Power Stroke at 76,000 engine miles."

How can you complain about that?? They currently have the 2.5 gal jug for $24.99.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i respect the idea behind asking such a question - but i think this is sort of like asking people "whats the best color" or "blondes vs burnettes". there is no right answer, its just a matter of preference.. (besides we all know brunettes are better)

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Only thing I ever used was Ford's synthetic blend in mine, $160 gets me 3 oil changes at the dealership so I run it, and don't even get close to dirty lol

·
Registered
662 Posts
we live by rotella here. in our tractors in our trucks thats all we run..thats all my grandad ran in his early 90s 7.3 with +400k..orginal trans and motor so it must do some good. its also all i run in my powerstrokes

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i respect the idea behind asking such a question - but i think this is sort of like asking people "whats the best color" or "blondes vs burnettes". there is no right answer, its just a matter of preference...
Which is exactly why I asked for people's preference(s)...there is no single perfect answer; I'm just wondering what others are using and why they made this choice.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
It's a 7.3, so like you said, it's preference. You'll notice a difference in cold starting in very cold climates with 5W40, but other than that, probably not much. Our injectors are very forgiving.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
My dad and I used to use Rotella 15W-40, but I just changed oil tonight to Delvac 15W-40 just because of the deal they have going on now. You can get it for about $7 a gallon. I was told by a mechanic who has been working on cars forever to use either Rotella or Mobil, so either one, but at $7 a gallon Mobil wins at the moment.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Amsoil 5w-40 all year long sing 30,000 miles...now has 120,xxx...2006 6.0L

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
What's in your powersteering pump? :poke:
I don't know if this is true on the SDs but OBSs use ATF for powersteering fluid.

I use Rotella 15w40

1 - 20 of 32 Posts