Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which motor is better the 6.0 are the 6.4? I know the 6.4 can make alot of power.But which one will last longer???

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
The 6.4L is the better motor, if you delete the DPF. That is a violation of the federal emissions laws, naturally putting you at risk of being cited for it. The 6.4L will make more power than a 6.0L can with just tunes and the DPF delete. Both motors have the same 5R110 Transmission behind them, and its starts to let go once you're putting more than 500HP to the ground.

The '06.5-'07 6.0L's are great trucks, and I own an '07. All emissions equipment remains in tact and I have all the power I really need running IDP's X-Race. When you factor the oil cooler failures on the 6.0L, longevity will most likely lay with the 6.4L powerplant. However, with the DPF in place and the oil dilution that occurs during regen only time will tell which motor will have a longer history.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well that's hard question to ask because the 6.4's have only been in customers hands for 3 years so they haven't hadtime to really be mileage tested. 6.0 has its own track record but we all know what is.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
585 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, some the manufacturing flaws in the 6.0 make it hard to compare apples to apples(ie. a both motors without all emissions stuff.) When they are fixed, you have a bullet proof motor, but you also have extra money and work in it. The 6.4 was supposed to alleviate the flaws inherent in the 6.0 from the OEM.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So the 6.0 do have flaws....imagine that.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
sanman, correct, allot of the problems the 6.0 had were addressed when Navistar designed the 6.4 engine.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Well that's hard question to ask because the 6.4's have only been in customers hands for 3 years so they haven't hadtime to really be mileage tested. 6.0 has its own track record but we all know what is.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App
Interesting.....I've had mine over 4 years.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
So the 6.0 do have flaws....imagine that.
:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

True. The 08 6.4's came out in 07... I really question the damage of oil dilution in 6.4's.... ULSD isn't THAT bad. I really have a hard time believing it would cause issues UNLESS proper maintenece procedure's werent followed.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
My dad's 6.4 is bone stock and has 90,000 miles on it. He got it in March of 2007 (2/07 build date). He doesn't change his oil but every 8-10,000 miles. Oil dilution hasn't been a problem for him....yet. He uses the same oil I do, Valvoline premium blue 5w40. I am sure full synthetic oil helps in that department.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Butting in..

Guys I had major problems with oil diluting with my 6.4.. I would Change the oil and would end up with 3 1/2 almost 4 gallons of oil. I tow alot 14/15k. I put a delete and sct and my oil doesn't dilute at all. I have 114,xxx and not a problem... I owned a lot of p/u and wouldn't trade my 6.4 for anything...

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Pappa, were not saying it doesn't happen just not everyone is getting it as bad as it sounds.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Correct. When I said it wasn't a problem, I meant that it hasn't caused any issues.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
What they said. lol

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Butting in..

Guys I had major problems with oil diluting with my 6.4.. I would Change the oil and would end up with 3 1/2 almost 4 gallons of oil. I tow alot 14/15k. I put a delete and sct and my oil doesn't dilute at all. I have 114,xxx and not a problem... I owned a lot of p/u and wouldn't trade my 6.4 for anything...

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
3 1/2 almost 4 gallons is how much the 6.4 requires. 15 quarts is the engine oil capacity in this motor :dunno:

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
15qts or 3 3/4gal. If you had 4 gals retrieved on an oil change then you had some dilution but anything less than 15qts you were losing so either way you were having issues lol. But glad doing a DPF delete solved your issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i have had two 6.0 both was good trucks and i was hard on them.Both would get around 17 city 20ish hwy. One was an 05 reg cab long bed the other 06 ext cab short bed. And now i have an 08 and the mpgs still suck even with the dpf gone and tuned. And i have 2 buddys that work at the ford place here in town and they both say they have more high dollar repairs on the 6.4. something to do with the rocker arms not being metal are something they both said that the 6.0 does have some prob but the biggest is the egr and to send that thing bye bye... I grew up with both of the guys and trust them. not saying that they know it all are anything like that.. So i was just seeing what yall all think?

·
Registered
400 Posts
4...sorry, jumped the gun on my math a little. Regardless i still don't feel as if that is sufficient time to gauge the reliability and mileage of them. I have a friend of a friend that has a 6.4, has 100k plus miles and the only problem its had is that for some reason it has gone through 3 IC's i think he said. :doh:

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
What is the highest mileage anyone knows of on a 6.4?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
What is the highest mileage anyone knows of on a 6.4?
one guy on here said he has 184k i read. i had 130k when i traded mine in. only problems were rad, intercooler boot, steering pump, then finally the HG.:doh: other than that it was good

EDIT: oh and the rear leafs cracked in half---- long story

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you wont a bullet proof motor just go with a 7.3 powerstroke or a 5.9cummins.I got around 20mpg with my 7.3stroker and had alittle over 200k on it and never had a wrench on the motor.With the newer powerstrokes you never no when your ganna break down on the side of the road.And trust me im not happy with my 6.4powerstroke if you like problems then go with it plus the crap fuel mileage even with a dpf-cat delete just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts