Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new to me 2001 f250 platinum that I would like to monitor some engine performance parameters on. I was wondering which would be better individual gauges like boost,trans temp, exhaust temp etc or just get the CtS2 monitor from edge ?.

Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
CTS2, I have it and regular gauges. If I could do it over I would skip the gauges and go straight to the monitor

·
Registered
179 Posts
Any more I think that it's more personal choice than anything else. Both monitor essential system data for the engine. Cost visit comparable for either route with the monitor system possibly being cheaper if purchased on sale. Reliability doesn't seem to be a factor much anymore either. I think the monitor can actually pull codes for you and clear codes as well. That said I like the look of individual gusges. So I run IssPro guages in a pod.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
When you factor in a egt probe, a pressure sensor for the boost gauge, and a pressure sensor for the fuel pressure, the CTS gets expensive real quick. I prefer analog gauges, but the monitor is nice to have since it reads a bunch of extra stuff. A CTS monitor with the egt probe, along with regular boost and fuel pressure gauges would be a good setup.

·
Vendor
12,761 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
I’d guess it’s personal preference nowadays but I really like gauges on the A pillar as easy to see and no need to take time to read numbers, just quick glance at needle position. I have issapro that allow programming a warning light (in the gauge face) when above or below a user configurable level (egt or fuel press for example). They have worked flawlessly these last few years. I guess one other benefit is if your truck is broken into they are less likely to try and steal gauges than a monitor/tuner.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Personally the edge insight series monitors are hard to beat. You can get the edge insight and the egt probe kit cheaper than QUALITY gauges. Yes you can risk it for the biscuit with glowcrap but why get shoddy products to monitor engine VITALS? Another reason I prefer the monitor is the code reading/clearing function, data logging, maintenance tracker and so on. Not many use these to their fullest but they are capable of way more.

with that being said I still feel a monitor isn't necessary for 90% of 7.3 owners. none of our service trucks have them in 270k plus miles etc. But for the ENTHUSIAST they are essential lol. I'm more of a techy amateur so I like it.

·
Vendor
208 Posts
I have a new to me 2001 f250 platinum that I would like to monitor some engine performance parameters on. I was wondering which would be better individual gauges like boost,trans temp, exhaust temp etc or just get the CtS2 monitor from edge ?.

Thanks
Edge makes some really great products, the CTS2 is one of the best monitors available currently. The Edge Accessory System (EAS) is expandable so you can daisy chain your accessories. I sell Edge products all the time and customers love them.

If anyone is looking for an EGT probe, data logging kit or anything else, I'll give you a killer price. Just shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys, first post here and I’d like to thank you guys for the welcome I have been shown.

I bought my first PSD a few months back and have been familiarizing myself with the ins-and-outs of the engine. I’ve been reading a lot on a few different forums trying to get an idea of how I want to handle gauges for my truck (description is in signature). What I’ve found is that of the three or four gauges that seem to be very common, only two do not have the information available on the vehicle network for my year: EGT and Transmission Temperature.

That said, my thought is to hook up physical gauges to those two data sources and anything else I might want can be handled with a scan device and software. The next thing to figure out is a permanent touch-screen, flat panel display I can integrate into the system. In the short term, I’ll just use my phone like most others do.

I’ve been around the Jeep CJ world for a little over 10 years and it’s long enough to know that what I want and fits my needs are not necessarily right for anyone else, I just wanted to throw my $.02 into the mix.​

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Hi guys, first post here and I’d like to thank you guys for the welcome I have been shown.

I bought my first PSD a few months back and have been familiarizing myself with the ins-and-outs of the engine. I’ve been reading a lot on a few different forums trying to get an idea of how I want to handle gauges for my truck (description is in signature). What I’ve found is that of the three or four gauges that seem to be very common, only two do not have the information available on the vehicle network for my year: EGT and Transmission Temperature.

That said, my thought is to hook up physical gauges to those two data sources and anything else I might want can be handled with a scan device and software. The next thing to figure out is a permanent touch-screen, flat panel display I can integrate into the system. In the short term, I’ll just use my phone like most others do.

I’ve been around the Jeep CJ world for a little over 10 years and it’s long enough to know that what I want and fits my needs are not necessarily right for anyone else, I just wanted to throw my $.02 into the mix.​
99% of obdII connection device monitors will read late 99 through 2003 transmission temperature. but no 7.3l diesel came with a "from the factory" egt monitor so you will always drill into the exhaust manifold (99% right next to oil filter) and add a sensor probe and or manual gauge depending if you choose monitor vs pillar gauge. Only newer trucks starting with the 08+ 6.4l came with a factory egt monitor for Powerstrokes. Cummins and Duramax were different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
99% of obdII connection device monitors will read late 99 through 2003 transmission temperature. but no 7.3l diesel came with a "from the factory" egt monitor so you will always drill into the exhaust manifold (99% right next to oil filter) and add a sensor probe and or manual gauge depending if you choose monitor vs pillar gauge. Only newer trucks starting with the 08+ 6.4l came with a factory egt monitor for Powerstrokes. Cummins and Duramax were different.
Thank you, Justin. I'd swear I read somewhere that transmission temp wasn't available until something like 2003 or 04. Now I need to figure out how to display that data.

Told you guys I'm still a bit of a newb! :taze:

·
Registered
179 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention, if you're doing any commercial driving like hot shot where you need to run electronic logging (eld), you'll want regular guages. The obd port will be taken up by the eld device.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Thank you, Justin. I'd swear I read somewhere that transmission temp wasn't available until something like 2003 or 04. Now I need to figure out how to display that data.

Told you guys I'm still a bit of a newb! :taze:
we all gotta start somewhere. You should try and find some of my earlier post from 2011 when I was new to the 6.0ls lol.... 1999 was a split year you had the early99s and late99. Most of the early 99s were not able to transfer transmission temp to modern monitors but late99-2003 7.3l and early 2003-2007 6.0l and up can all read trans temp through the OBDII port. Now I only know for sure with: edge insight monitor, bully dog, edge evolution (old/new) programmers, torq pro ap, scan gauge, and forscan program. Not sure what other monitor programs people use but those are commons I've used on my rig and other powerstrokes.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just a side note on Justin's post. When drilling the d.s. exhaust manifold keep a good amount of heavy wheel bearing grease on the drill bit, and run the drill slow. Pause often to clean the shavings off the bit. This will keep steel from going inside and ending up in the turbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where does the monitor mount, and F6 Temp monitor?

Edge makes some really great products, the CTS2 is one of the best monitors available currently. The Edge Accessory System (EAS) is expandable so you can daisy chain your accessories. I sell Edge products all the time and customers love them.

If anyone is looking for an EGT probe, data logging kit or anything else, I'll give you a killer price. Just shoot me a PM.
I would like the CTS2, I think. Where do people mount them?

Is there any such thing as a temperature sensor for a ZF 6?

Late 99 (mftr 12/98) FORD F-350 SD Lariat SuperCab LWB 2WD w/ 7.3 L, 6-speed manual ZF (M6HD-6)
Sterling 10.3, 3.73 Limited slip, single rear wheels, bought 01 Jan 2020 w/ Engine disassembled
New Adventure! :surprise: Beginning by rebuilding power train.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
There is no temp sensor on a ZF6 and you don't really need to add one either, manual transmissions don't have clutches inside them that burn up when they get hot like automatics do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is no temp sensor on a ZF6 and you don't really need to add one either, manual transmissions don't have clutches inside them that burn up when they get hot like automatics do.
I like to monitor everything. I am a nerd like that. :grin:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is there any such thing as a temperature sensor for a ZF 6?
There isn't a port you can tap. But if you install a Fast cooler it will provide an additional quart of fluid capacity, a port for a temp prob, and provide additional cooling. Although the ZF is a manual, temps can get pretty high while heavy towing. Because it uses ATF as it's fluid, heat can be damaging and cause problems in the right circumstances. I set mine up for heavy towing. The ZF-6 has a cooler and a pump. You can add a temperature controlled valve and a larger cooler. A filter with a 25psi bypass is a good idea too. That will add tons of reliability to the package.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts