Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 7.3 with stock AD injectors, should I go with stage 1 or a split shot injector.? Correct me if I'm wrong but, Stage 1 needs a chip/tune to idle properly the split shot does not. What are the other pros/cons of each. cost seems to be the same. I drive the truck daily and want about 60+ hp but do not want to sacrifice MPG. In the past I have had chips go bad and do not want to be reliant on one in order for the truck to be driven.
I have gotten quotes from $1000 reman to $2200 new. Any problems with reman.? I run the Edge juice w/attitude so do not really need a chip/tune.
What combo would work the best? Should I toss the Edge and get a tune?
So may ??? thank you in advance, Ray

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
By dumping the edge and getting custom chip tuning, you may find the power you want without getting injectors.

But yes, single shots require different tuning. AS far which injector you want and not sacrifice fuel mileage, single shots seem to be a bit better. Remember that every truck is a bit different, and everyone drives differently. I can make my stage 3's purr like a kitten and get somewhat the same mileage as my old stock injectors.. or I can make them turn MPG into GPM.

I would contact DIY injectors and talk to Jim. He's a genius when it comes to injectors.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
738 Posts
Toss the edge, get gauges, stage 2s, and a tony wildman or DP tuner chip.

Getting stage 1 or 2s with the edge is not going to do much for you. A custom chip is tuned specifically to your truck. You can get the injectors tuned down to where you like, then when you feel like you want more power(you will), you can send the chip back and get it retuned for the more mods that you will likely add.

Any injectors that are not split shot will require a chip to run/idle right. You won't get the full potential out of aftermarket injectors without getting the right tune, the Edge is not the right tune...

·
Registered
411 Posts
By dumping the edge and getting custom chip tuning, you may find the power you want without getting injectors.

But yes, single shots require different tuning. AS far which injector you want and not sacrifice fuel mileage, single shots seem to be a bit better. Remember that every truck is a bit different, and everyone drives differently. I can make my stage 3's purr like a kitten and get somewhat the same mileage as my old stock injectors.. or I can make them turn MPG into GPM.

I would contact DIY injectors and talk to Jim. He's a genius when it comes to injectors.
I used the kit from Jim.. See sig

·
Registered
959 Posts
The problem with split shot injectors is you really can't do much with them to make them flow more fuel without messing up the pilot shot. So the aftermarket split shot injectors are usually just stock injectors with bigger nozzles.

If you really want to see gains get some single shot stage Is or IIs and get a chip to run them. Just about everone I've heard from that went to singles got better mileage and made more power.

Remans are fine if done by a professional. I wouldn't let someone touch my injectors that wasn't in a fuel shop and knows the injectors very well and has an actual flow bench to test them on. I've been in a fuel shop for a few years now and after doing hundreds of injectors only to find something on the flow bench I wouldn't take injectors from anyone who can't flow test them. The other issue with remans is you run the risk of getting someone elses work out junk injectors. Places claim you can fix worn parts like when the armature clearances are low but you just can't do it properly. You can bandaid it and that's about it. So if you plan to go the reman route then send yours in to have built and don't do the exhange thing.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
You might want to clarify this to A Codes. B code split shots run 190cc+

Correct, but you still can not do much to ANY split shot injector.

·
Registered
959 Posts
That statement hold true for any split shot A code or B code. But with the B codes you are running into a whole nother issue needing an oil system to go with them.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Just an observation about AB injectors. I had my first set AB injectors(97 Cali truck) flow tested and they only put out 121cc of fuel. My second set of AB's(early99) flowed 118cc. Which was very close to the 120cc that the shop said was what they were built to flow.

In addition I have read in numerous places where the AB is 120cc as well. I am curious where the 130-135cc comes from. I am sure you are going to tell me, you tested them yourself and I am going to reply, dang, now what?

Please forgive me if I spelled anyting wrong, my spell check just disapperard on me and my wife not her to help me find what I did.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I am curious where the 130-135cc comes from. I am sure you are going to tell me, you tested them yourself and I am going to reply, dang, now what?
And you would be correct. Every set of AB injectors I've flow tested (and it's been quite a few) has flowed between 130cc and 135cc. My question to the place that flowed yours would be what PW and ICP did they test them at? Do they have a standard X PW and Y ICP that they test them to and assume that's what they flow? Or do they crank both way up to make sure to max out the injector? I can asure you with 100% confidence that an AB injector flows 130-135cc unless there is something very wrong with it.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
They were tested with an ICP of 2400psi and I have no idea at what PW. I requested an ICP of 2400psi on my first set since that is all my 15* HPOP would hold at WOT. With the second set I just requested 2400psi since it was another 15* HPOP.

·
Registered
959 Posts
That should be enough ICP as long as they had more than 2 or 3 miliseconds of PW. When I want to see how much fuel an injector flows I'll crank the ICP all the way up which will usually maintain around 2800 psi on a mild set of injectors when running 4 at a time and have the PW maxed out at 5 MS. I typically run 40 psi of fuel pressure as I honestly haven't seen any difference running any more on the stand and I run the test at 2500 rpm because any more than that and it will start cutting back the PW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts