Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was toldd I have a 03 engine in my truck when I bought it. I am thinkin otherwise. But, in any case, how do I tell what HPOP I have without taking it off the truck? Is there a way at all?

·
Registered
267 Posts
You have a 17 degree. They came on all of the 7.3s from 99.5 on I belive. Whoa just read your sig, I guess if your truck is a late 99 I would say you have a 17*. But I would assume that if you got an 03 motor that they would have put the 03 hpop in aswell.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I was toldd I have a 03 engine in my truck when I bought it. I am thinkin otherwise. But, in any case, how do I tell what HPOP I have without taking it off the truck? Is there a way at all?
as to whether or not it really has an 03 motor in it,

You know you could take a look at the sticker on the valve cover(passenger side i think it is. or block. i forget where its at, but i know its on the passenger side), to find out if you do have a 03 motor in there.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a way to tell by looking at the HPOP? I have a frankenstein motor, and I dunno which components are form which year? I will try looking at the valve covers....

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Is there a way to tell by looking at the HPOP? I have a frankenstein motor, and I dunno which components are form which year? I will try looking at the valve covers....
Oh my that is interesting.

Maybe the sticker will yield some help on the motor year.

You checked yet to see which rods you have?

I can't help ya on the HPOP part.

·
Registered
193 Posts
no you can't tell the difference between a 15° and a 17° hpop
is the angle of the swash plate inside.
in fact the pulse big oil pump uses an oem case so you can't tell the difference in that other then the color outside.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Feel cover on the back side of the pump. I have read that the rear cover on the 17* pumps has a raised bump rather than being just a flat plate held in with a circlip, although some 17* pumps have a flat rear cover. However, no 15* pumps have the raised rear cover. In my experience, this has proven true. I have a 1997 F-250 and the cover on it is flat, and I just bought a pump off of a 2001 that has the bump on the rear cover. So, if the rear cover feels flat all the way across the diameter, you probably have an older 15* pump although it is possible it is a 17* pump. If it is not flat but has a raised surface, it is a 17* pump. Hope this helps. Has anyone else heard of this method of differentiating between pumps?

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Here is a pic of my old 15 and new 17 side by side

If it is a motor swap before you bought it then there is no telling about anything, even the valve covers may have been swapped to the new motor. Could have been a complete drop in 03 or just an 03 block with all 99 parts swapped to it.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
That thing an early 99 or 99.5?

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My truck manufacture date is 6/98 so that makes it an early 99. The valve covers say its a 99, even says she base HP is 250. I thought the BHP for mine was 235. I dunno. Any how, I will check the HPOP out tommrow. WHere is the inspection place for the rods? Can I inspect them with out fear of losing oil or other fluids?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
My truck manufacture date is 6/98 so that makes it an early 99. The valve covers say its a 99, even says she base HP is 250. I thought the BHP for mine was 235. I dunno. Any how, I will check the HPOP out tommrow. WHere is the inspection place for the rods? Can I inspect them with out fear of losing oil or other fluids?
That is very weird. I didn't think the 99 had 250hp either. My sticker on my truck(which of course is a 2000) says 235.

I know the 03's were 275hp.

I think maybe the 01 or 02's were 250hp?:dunno:

That still doesn't explain yours saying its a 99, but saying 250hp.

And here's the link for finding out which rods you have!!:thumb:

7.3 Inspection Hole for Powdered Metal Rod Determination

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you sir!! (Coach Carter) hehe

Yeah, My engine has a mind of its own. hehe...I am still wondering why I have low Oil pressure.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Here is the sticker from my early 99

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
You do know that the factory engine oil pressure gauge is not really a gauge, it’s just an idiot light, either on or off at around 9 psi, happy or not happy. I installed an actual gauge on mine and the pressure varies from 40 psi to 100 psi with rpm and temp. Or are you talking about HPOP oil pressure?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
He wasn't refering to the factory, dummy guage.

He's got an aftermarket oil pressure guage in the truck.

Heres what he told me about the problem.

It reads about 50-60 when its cold, and after complete warm up, it reads 15 at idle, sometimes 10. When I mash it, it usually goes to 25. It should be 50-70. I have this squealing sometimes, rare tho. I also hear a slight low thump thump comming from what sounds like the front of the engine. I was told by Matt at Spartan Deisel, here in h'ville, that that was my HPOP making that sound cause it was low on oil. Which would mean the Low oil pressure pump aint keeping up. I replaced it, and it corrected it for the most part. You would really have to take a hell ride in the truck to understand. I will be glad to show you anytime. I wanna get Scuffy828 on this problem, but he needs to have the truck in his possesion to properly diagnose it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
what about the turbo..
if you can bearly tick your hand behind it it is a late.
if your haed almost fits it is an early..

if it surges it is a late....

hpop res can be increased, I have even seen a mod that runs an extra line up there

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have an early 99 turbo, pedistal and intake Y pipe. I reached behind the HPOP and felt and it was flat. No rise in th middle. so that tells me I have a 15* pump. But I know my engine oil pressure is low. way low. I do have a leak on the CCV mod i did when I turned the CCV thing on top of the valvecover around backwards. SO I have to fix that oil leak. Thats one of the bigger ones. I have diagnosed my rear main is leaking too most likely. I cannot find a trail down to the back of the engine, but all around the inspection plate on the trans is covered in fresh oil, and so is everything behind it. UGGGGGGHHHHHH!!

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont think that my hpop is low, I think(know) my engine oil pressure is low. I think my HPOP is fine. I just think that because the low pressure pump is not producing, or holding pressure like it should(due to unknown reason, but I did just replace the pump), its not keeping the HPOP resivior filled all the time on WOT runs. Therefore, the HPOP cant keep up with demands of the injectors because of something prohibiting the Engine oil pressure(or volume) from being high enough. Did I explain that correctly to you? I got confused typing it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts