Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which headers/manifolds are better...do headers perform better or do manifolds... im debating between the elite diesel engineering stainless steel coated headers or the black widow diesel coated ss manifolds.. any input appreciated

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
what are your plans? I'd say leave well enough alone and stick to the basics... unless youre looking to make big power they wont really be of much use. Put the money elsewhere, and stay clear of BWD theyre a joke

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
honestly i wanted to do them because of sound...i know that's a stupid reason but and i dont plan on having an extremely powerful truck just a really loud one...so no bwd i guess.. but which is better headers or manifolds??

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I doubt the sounds difference is going to warrant the work and cost of getting rid of the stock exhaust manifolds. In my opinion it is a complete waste of money that can be much better spend elsewhere.

It is your money and truck though

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah probably is..but i wanna do a s300 62 or 64mm turbo from rcd also...and my buddy has a shop that we can lift the cab with so its really no biggie...so which are better headers or manifolds

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The headers will flow better unless there are some manifolds that flow the same. The thing with headers is that exhaust gas has a smoother less unobstructed path than what manifolds have. The headers will do better in my opinion, but for $1000+, you could do better with something else. Now if headers were a couple hundred bucks, I would say go for it. That is cheap enough to warrant doing them. Cause I know I would.

Unless you are racing, I would suggest getting your manifolds ported and gasket matched, same with the heads.

Plus, either of those turbos are gonna be wasted unless a set of injectors and a tune are installed also. And after that a set of headstuds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah ive already got studs and every thing in it... and planned on injectors, turbo and a bigger tune...and the reason i want headers or something is cause my buddy has a 7.3 and he has headers and it changed the sound completely..and i just want to try em and go from there

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
:banging: :doh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks haha...i know its stupid... but i got a guy who might know someone that can get em cheaper so its a little bit better

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i was gonna get the elites or outlaws after i heard stay away from black widow diesel

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
yeah i was gonna get the elites or outlaws after i heard stay away from black widow diesel
either one you get....you're gonna hafta drill and tap a hole in them for the EBP fitting on the drivers side.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Stock manifolds are proven to over 1000hp. Even the big 6.4 builds are putting 6.0 manifolds on. Headers are a waste of money IMO.
I love the procharger setup. I've been really thinkin about one for my truck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Stock manifolds are proven to over 1000hp. Even the big 6.4 builds are putting 6.0 manifolds on. Headers are a waste of money IMO.
That is not entirely true. Yes the stock manifolds will do over 1000 rwhp but that is only on trucks with a lot of nos. Look what the trucks do that are turbo only. All the "big" built trucks 6.4 trucks at Rudys dyno day were running around the 675 - 725 rwhp range with huge sets of twin chargers. Now look what trucks with are doing with headers. Rudy just knock off almost a whole second on his quarter mile times. MPD just laid down 800+ rwhp fuel only with a single S475. There is a lot to be had with getting rid of that restrictive exhaust.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
That is not entirely true. Yes the stock manifolds will do over 1000 rwhp but that is only on trucks with a lot of nos. Look what the trucks do that are turbo only. All the "big" built trucks 6.4 trucks at Rudys dyno day were running around the 675 - 725 rwhp range with huge sets of twin chargers. Now look what trucks with are doing with headers. Rudy just knock off almost a whole second on his quarter mile times. MPD just laid down 800+ rwhp fuel only with a single S475. There is a lot to be had with getting rid of that restrictive exhaust.
Yes I am very aware of all of this. But I should of been more clear. Headers have their place on high horsepower drag trucks. Not on a tuner and exhaust street truck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Replace the exhaust manifolds on your truck and you will think differently. Turbo spool up is way faster and the sound is awesome.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Mine already spools very fast. Maybe when I get a s400 :thumb:

But you would recommend headers on a stock truck? I think the money is better spent upgrading injectors, turbo or intake runners.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine already spools very fast. Maybe when I get a s400 :thumb:

But you would recommend headers on a stock truck? I think the money is better spent upgrading injectors, turbo or intake runners.
I agree that I would not put headers on the list before injectors and turbos. But to say that a better flowing manifolds is not needed or worth the money is just not a completely true statement.

One of the main components of increasing an engine efficiency is to reduce restrictions in the air flow, either in or out. The exhaust manifold restriction is one of the key reasons that most people were not seeing much increase in head porting. The exhaust manifolds are a major restrictions. Port the heads and put on free flowing exhaust manifolds and the increases are pretty impressive.

One other thing everyone needs to take into account when building a truck that they want to last is that you can't just go stuffing in more air and fuel without making some provisions to get the exhaust out of the motor faster as well. If you don't you are looking at things like cracked heads, floating valves, cracked pistons and all the things most people don't want to happen to their truck.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I agree that I would not put headers on the list before injectors and turbos. But to say that a better flowing manifolds is not needed or worth the money is just not a completely true statement.

One of the main components of increasing an engine efficiency is to reduce restrictions in the air flow, either in or out. The exhaust manifold restriction is one of the key reasons that most people were not seeing much increase in head porting. The exhaust manifolds are a major restrictions. Port the heads and put on free flowing exhaust manifolds and the increases are pretty impressive.

One other thing everyone needs to take into account when building a truck that they want to last is that you can't just go stuffing in more air and fuel without making some provisions to get the exhaust out of the motor faster as well. If you don't you are looking at things like cracked heads, floating valves, cracked pistons and all the things most people don't want to happen to their truck.

I agree with all of that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts