Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck needs a FICM. Dealership will put one in for $500...(splitting the cost) so they say....If I am going to come out of pocket I'd much rather buy a bettr FICM and then have mine to send off as a spare. Its seems likes it one thing after another. Is this normal for these trucks...should i give up on the truck..I hate to cause I really like it!!

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Don't give up on the truck!

But, give up on the OEM/factory FICM's...

Either go to Ed ([email protected])
He can fix your FICM to make it not fail again using better parts and soldering skills, or get a BPD ficm and also just like with Ed, NEVER worry about it again:woot

Ed charges around $200-300

BPD sells them for around $500-700

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Quick Tricks was 400 for the 58v. with lifetime warranty

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Get the 6 phase Bulletproofdiesel kit and never worry about it again. It has redundancy built in so if one circuit fails another takes over. It should be the last FICM you would ever have to get. The OEM is a joke that will fail every time. BPD kits uses military grade circuit boards if that gives you any piece of mind. Its worth the extra $$$ IMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks fellas. I talked to Brian over a BPD. Sounds like the way to go and Ill take my factory FICM and send off to Ed. The ICP failed and my buddy knocked on it and got it to work to get me to the dealership where I bought the truck. They told me the ICP is fine...I questioned them about the no start and they had no idea what to say, just trying to get out of repairing the truck. I am thinkiing about getting the premium warrant through ford, but I want to to do other mods....its a tough decison to make!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
If I had the money, I would have done the BPD FICM. But I'm cheap and poor so I went with Ed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How often to the logic boards go out? Is is just the power supply that I will need?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Justin,

How long ago did you get your FICM done? Satisfied?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Got it installed a couple of days ago. Yes I am satisfied! The day he got it he had it repaired and shipped, so a very quick turn around. It does cost a bit to ship them back and forth, but it cuts the down time a lot. Ed supposidly tests all the components and replaces anything that isnt within specs with better pieces. I would imagine that his FICM would last longer than the stockers due to better components. I also went ahead and got the Atlas 40 tune for the fuel mileage benifit. The way I look at it, if I can get a few years out of it until I can actually affoard a BPD unit, I will be happy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much in all was your repairs, atlas 40 and shipping?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
With shipping it was roughly $450

1 year warranty repair is $225, expedited shipping from him $35, and tune $150, so $410, plus shipping on my end.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats not bad....thanks for letting me know!! Sounds like a good deal..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
one last thing...how long was it from the time you sent it off, till the time you got it back? Thanks

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I sent it out Saturday and got it back on Friday. I did UPS 3-day shipping though, I think overnighting it, it would have been like $75. Didnt help I shipped on a Saturday (late saturday actually) and we all know everything grinds to a hault on Sunday for shipping.

If downtime is a problem, then I might go another route.

The FICM I took off wasnt a refurbished unit, it was a stock factory international one. Dont know if it was stock or replaced but the excursion has 172K miles on it. If its stock, thats pretty impressive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes sir. that is impressive. thanks for everything.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The BPD is well worth it, skip the warranty, if you read the fine print it will not cover everyuthing, speng the warranty money to do all the service/bulletproofing you can buy, or save the money and set it aside for repairs when the time comes.

·
Registered
454 Posts
+1, a warranty is just a "pre paid repair bill" ! these trucks are not that tough to work on,they will try your patience a time or two, learn all you can, and turn a wrench yourself.

The BPD is well worth it, skip the warranty, if you read the fine print it will not cover everyuthing, speng the warranty money to do all the service/bulletproofing you can buy, or save the money and set it aside for repairs when the time comes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just wanted to say that Ed at ficmrepair.com does good work and can quickly repair/return your unit. I sent mine off on a Thursday (I paid for 2 day shipping to him) and received it the following Tuesday or Wednesday. Truck has run perfectly since.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
I got mine from Dave @ Swamps Diesel. He did the 58v FICM and I got Bill @ PHP to do the Atlas 80. I've had mine installed since end of last year and I've had no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks fellas. All points valid. The warranty has its perks. The trucks has cost me $1500 a month to drive so far...Adding the warranty in the finacing was $15 a month..with the way things are going I feel better about getting it until tax time next year..then I can do some bullet proofing and still have the warranty for injectors, fuel pumps, HPOP, starters, alts...and believe me, I will nickel and dime that warranty and get my $$ worth..Its nice having a friend at a dealership. Down here a few trucks were studded and deleted under waranty. It was toward the end with only a few hundred miles left, but hey...Ill role the dice and give it wirl. thanks for all the feed back!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts