Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 X 7.3

I want put in a 4'' stainless but which brand is better or at least can give me better mileage.

I only know of Banks and Magnaflow, are their better systems out there
:dunno:

·
Cynic
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
When it comes to exhaust, there are so many options that it usually just comes down to how it sounds over anything else. If you are pushing 500hp or more, you will need a 5" but anything less stick with a 4" turbo-back. I am running Rolling Big Powers 4" turbo back and I love it, but I know guys with MBRP systems and banks systems too that love theirs. Talk to everyone you have locally, listen to their systems and pick the sound. As for fuel economy, they are all going to do about the same.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
also you could get in touch with Farmboysdiesel on here and he has some decent prices even for SS. I have heard his system are of good quality too, and you really cant beat his prices.

·
Cynic
11,178 Posts
When it comes to exhaust, there are so many options that it usually just comes down to how it sounds over anything else. If you are pushing 500hp or more, you will need a 5" but anything less stick with a 4" turbo-back. I am running Rolling Big Powers 4" turbo back and I love it, but I know guys with MBRP systems and banks systems too that love theirs. Talk to everyone you have locally, listen to their systems and pick the sound. As for fuel economy, they are all going to do about the same.
I may be a bit slow at times, but I don't understand this.

Where does it say that you need a 5in exhaust for 500hp???

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
it is just the best option to help keep the EGT's down in a manageable range, i think. could be totally off though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow so many responses in so little time thanks alot

so is the turbo back the best option for the truck?

and the actual difference is in the sound factor rather then the mileage factor right

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
yes turbo back is definitely the way to go. most systems are going to have about the same sound, maybe a few differences but i doubt that you will be able to notice, the biggest difference is going to be on whether you go with a muffler or not as far as sound goes. and my mileage actually decreased around town, because i love the sound soo much i cannot keep my foot out of it, but trying to get better about that especially with the rising fuel costs. but towing and freeway driving i have noticed an increase in fuel mileage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So where is the best place to go for the turbo back system? Stainless or aluminum? Manufacture? Not looking to spend too much $$$$. Do you need the gauges if you do this exhaust upgrade. thx

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
its fact

I may be a bit slow at times, but I don't understand this.

Where does it say that you need a 5in exhaust for 500hp???

Everyone in the diesel exhaust industry will state that a 4" exhaust is great and will work great untill you start pushing 500hp or more. When you get more hp you get higher EGT's and the extra inch helps reduce them...I've heard it over and over again from everyone in the industry

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just would like to know if I should go stainless steel or aluminum exhaust? cat back or turbo back? Thank you Jim

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
depends where you live, no salt on winter roads aluminized would be fine, salty roads go SS. But in the end its up to you and what you want to spend. I went with aluminized and I live in Minnesota, I have had it on for 2 winters and it has zero rust on it. I wash my truck a minimum of once a week though in the winter and completely spray the underside of the truck every time, so im sure thats helping. If I could do it over I would definitely get a SS system

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm i live in a dust bowl of a city where well winter is more like a cool breeze lol

But i am definitly going with Stainless

thinking about getting the silverline series 304SS Single COMPLETE EXHAUST FORD EXCURSION 7.3

would that be a good choice?

i heard the 304 is better grade then the 409

·
Registered
318 Posts
that would be fine, I would definately check around for some prices though and compare them a bit. Farmboys that sponsors this site is pretty good, also check Xtremediesel.com, I believe they are running a free shipping promo right now.

·
Registered
421 Posts
DSTRBD on here has some systems for the 7.3's cheap. How does $325 sound for a turbo back SS. Plus $50 for 5" tip. I was talking to him about a system for my GF's Dad's truck. And that is a single outlet.

·
Cynic
11,178 Posts
Everyone in the diesel exhaust industry will state that a 4" exhaust is great and will work great untill you start pushing 500hp or more. When you get more hp you get higher EGT's and the extra inch helps reduce them...I've heard it over and over again from everyone in the industry
Really now. I'm trying to find this "everyone". Please point me to everyone.

Just would like to know if I should go stainless steel or aluminum exhaust? cat back or turbo back? Thank you Jim
Go stainless and turbo back.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
750 Posts
:popcorn: Waiting for "everyone" to show up and chime in.

The only way I would buy the 500hp requires 5", is MAYBE if they were bolt on hard parts that made 500hp, that you couldn't detune and you were going to take a car hauler through the mountains in the middle of summer.

·
Cynic
11,178 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts