Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a number of threads on how to set up and use the Torque app for Android, but there's not a lot of discussion around which adapters well work enough to be useful. If you're like me, you're looking for the cheapest solution that provides reliable service. My intention for this thread is for everybody to contribute their experience to serve as a buying guide for others. Please try to include a picture, since a lot of these are the same product sold under a different name.

I'll kick it off with my most recent purchase, the

On my 6.0, it works for about 30 seconds after startup, after which it really flakes out. It works fine on our Titan and on a 7.3, but I didn't attempt to monitor nearly as many sensors on those trucks.

I've returned it while I decide which unit to try next.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I'm currently using the PLX Kiwi. Cord is way to long, not sure why they did that.

But is does look like some sort of anti-theft device at night!

I used one like you posted first. It would work for 5 seconds, then not for 5 seconds. So I bought the other one. Put the cheap one in the cubby. Took it out the other day to try it. Now it doesn't work at all.

The PLX works great.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm currently using the PLX Kiwi. Cord is way to long, not sure why they did that.

But is does look like some sort of anti-theft device at night!

I used one like you posted first. It would work for 5 seconds, then not for 5 seconds. So I bought the other one. Put the cheap one in the cubby. Took it out the other day to try it. Now it doesn't work at all.

The PLX works great.
x2 for the kiwi.

Tried the cheap one, I guess i was one of the 50% it didn't work for but I knew the odds before I bought it. I made sure I got it from amazon with a good return policy and returned it when it didn't work and was even refunded shipping so it was worth a shot.

No problems at all with the kiwi.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What app are you running on your phone to connect to the PLX? if you are using your phone

·
Registered
303 Posts
I also tried the cheap ones, waste of $$
PLX Kiwi now works flawlessly

·
Island Dweller
1,300 Posts
I got a cheapie off of Ebay it is a Vgate Scan and was about 19 bucks and has worked flawlessly with my Torque App.

·
Glow Plugs Only
1,378 Posts
I got a cheapie off of Ebay it is a Vgate Scan and was about 19 bucks and has worked flawlessly with my Torque App.
^^^^^^^X2
Works great for me as well. Have two one in my truck and one in my VW TDI

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Very timely topic for me. Has anyone tried to use the DashBoss adapter with the Torque app for Android? I have both iOS and Android and it'd be great to have something compatible with both.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Very timely topic for me. Has anyone tried to use the DashBoss adapter with the Torque app for Android? I have both iOS and Android and it'd be great to have something compatible with both.
The DashBoss BT adapter will not work with Android, it's proprietary to only work with iOS devices.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Saves me some internet searching time, thank you!

·
Glow Plugs Only
1,378 Posts
Do you happen to remember the seller's name?

Would help future buyers looking for a higher percentage of success.
Sean,
Got my V-gate from DX.com (dealextreme)

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Saves me some internet searching time, thank you!
On a side note: I won't have time to add that exhaust manifold gasket till spring. Then I'll post up the write-up.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Glow Plugs Only
1,378 Posts

·
Glow Plugs Only
1,378 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I have a kiwi plx if anyone wants it pm best offer, i'll let it go for cheap. i don't use it, and would like to help out a fellow org member

·
Registered
721 Posts
I originally had the cheap ebay elm 327 obd2 adapter. I figured it was worth a shot for that 15-20 bucks whatever it cost. It didn't work very well. I ended up getting the PLX Kiwi and it works awesome.

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts