Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats everyone using for 6x8's? Im thinking JL, or MB quart. im redoing my system in my cc. also which amp are you guys using?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have polk MOMO's and im pretty impresed. I have the coaxials, they are pretty cool cause they wire like components, (each speaker has its own crossover) Those sound pretty good. I have had Alpines and they were great speakers.

Are you just replacing speakers? cause i really like to talk AUDIO haha.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I've always thought JL's sounded kinda muddy. I already gave away my JL's, although I still have a set of 10's in the shed.

I've always preferred infiniti or alpine.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I havent heard much of infinity. But i am pretty confident in alpine. There headunits are AWESOME. haha, when i was doinng my system, i didnt een consider anything but Alpine for the deck.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I havent heard much of infinity. But i am pretty confident in alpine. There headunits are AWESOME. haha, when i was doinng my system, i didnt een consider anything but Alpine for the deck.
Yeah, I've been running alpine for years. I wont use any head unit besides alpine, or maybe eclipse. I've heard polks are pretty good, but I haven't used them myself yet.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have polk MOMO's and im pretty impresed. I have the coaxials, they are pretty cool cause they wire like components, (each speaker has its own crossover) Those sound pretty good. I have had Alpines and they were great speakers.

Are you just replacing speakers? cause i really like to talk AUDIO haha.

I still have the factory system in my truck, so im upgrading everything. I am going to do an alpine deck(model 9886) .For 6x8's i was thinking of JL audio 6x8's and using a JL audio 300-4 amp. Im still debating on the subs, Im thinking of the shallow mount JL's I have also heard the kicker shallow mounts sound good too. I want to use the JL 500 amp for the subs.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I still have the factory system in my truck, so im upgrading everything. I am going to do an alpine deck(model 9886) .For 6x8's i was thinking of JL audio 6x8's and using a JL audio 300-4 amp. Im still debating on the subs, Im thinking of the shallow mount JL's I have also heard the kicker shallow mounts sound good too. I want to use the JL 500 amp for the subs.
JL's are only good if your going for high DB's, the sound quality isn't there, they've always sounded muddy to me. Heck, I'd rather see you go with power acoustics. Good subs, decent sound quality, good price point. But you want something that sounds good, stick with alpine, infiniti, and from what I hear, polk audio is pretty good. Just shop on-line, not at circut city or best buy. They're always a few levels below whats out there, and close to the high end price.

Oh, for subs, look at BOSS audio, and power base. Last I knew, BOSS bought alpine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JL's are only good if your going for high DB's, the sound quality isn't there, they've always sounded muddy to me. Heck, I'd rather see you go with power acoustics. Good subs, decent sound quality, good price point. But you want something that sounds good, stick with alpine, infiniti, and from what I hear, polk audio is pretty good. Just shop on-line, not at circut city or best buy. They're always a few levels below whats out there, and close to the high end price.

Oh, for subs, look at BOSS audio, and power base. Last I knew, BOSS bought alpine.

thanks for info. I will look into the power acoustics.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
ill post some pics of my sub box and of my deck

be careful getting the 9886....something happened with a few of the decks and they had problems with the ipod inerface. I got the 9885 and its GREAT. do some reading on it tho, i got the 5 because i had heard it was the best all around.

I have 3 10" Rockford Phosgate P3 SD's in my truck...They hit the mids great, but bottum out real easy on the lows. They are powered by an alpine mrb-m1000 amp.

I like my momo's. Im thinking about throwing an amp to them, cause they could def handle more power.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

theres my box. Kicker grills that we dies grided and hammered to fit. Notice the DC stomp pad haha. On top of the box we made a mount that screws into the holes for the black clips, so now it cant be lifted out.

theres the deck.

you can kinda see the new speakers.

theres the mount up close.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

theres my box. Kicker grills that we dies grided and hammered to fit. Notice the DC stomp pad haha. On top of the box we made a mount that screws into the holes for the black clips, so now it cant be lifted out.

theres the deck.

you can kinda see the new speakers.

theres the mount up close.
nice set up:thumb:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
thank you! I can now say my sub grills are "CUSTOM" because i took a sledge hammer to them! ahahahahaha

The tens sounds pretty good, the shallows are as vesitile as normal tens are. If you like listening to rap and want them to hit super hard, id go with 12's. i really am happy with my tens tho, the handle well with quick stuff too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
truth being none of the shallow mount subs are awesome i have the rockford p3 and they sound ok . If your looking for an alpine deck check out the w-250. Why dont you put some 6.5s on plates ? That will open up alot of quality options

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Yea, turns out its less that maybe 1/4 of an inch that keeps on from fitting normal 10's back there. I wanted to put the kicker cvr's back there but it was just BEARLY to narrow.
Check out JL's new shallow mount...it looks pretty crazy! its like 2 1/2 inches deep! looks kinda like a frisbee!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts