Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a couple of 6.0's now I would like to add a little more performance and maybe get some back in MPG. After reading and reading it seems like everyone (on this forum) tends to do lots of stuff. I would like to take it one step at a time hence my question, where to start? Programmer, exhaust, intake...

Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and great site by the way!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
First off.... Welcome to the site! I agree with the previous 2 posters. They were spot on. The tuner of choice for the 6.0L is the SCT with custom tuning. It is a better tuner for your motor and your tranny. There are many threads here that compare it to the other tuners or programmers and it always wins hands down. It is not a "shift on the fly" but trust me you will not need it. You will have and want everything you can dream of at the end of your right leg whenever you want it, all you gotta do is push the skinny pedal! LOL The stock intake on the 6.0L is fine for most application unless you are going to get into high horsepower, such as bigger injectors and/or turbos. It will flow plenty of air for stock parts. If you start adding bigger injectors/turbos then that is a different story. Have fun modding your truck and please feel free to ask all the questions you like and enjoy the site! Good luck in your search for knowledge and power!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. A couple of more questions though, why do folks go to the '03 turbo? Does anyone recommend an exhaust system? I am still under warranty and will be for a while so I would like to keep that going.

Thanks again.

:icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
i would go with a MBRP kit... its one of the best fitting kits around and will retain your stock cat... their is also a optional cat and muffler delete pipe that can be bought seperately....for off-road use of course :)

Stealth Automotive. 2004-2007 Superduty 6.0L

the 03 turbo has a louder turbo whine which a lot of people like......

let me know if you have any other questions.. we can package something up for ya to save you some money

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would go with a MBRP kit... its one of the best fitting kits around and will retain your stock cat... their is also a optional cat and muffler delete pipe that can be bought seperately....for off-road use of course :)

Stealth Automotive. 2004-2007 Superduty 6.0L

the 03 turbo has a louder turbo whine which a lot of people like......

let me know if you have any other questions.. we can package something up for ya to save you some money

Do you ship to Canada?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I did it, got some goodies on the way. Exhaust, gauges and the coveted SCT:woot:! Updates to come once I start throwing it all together...

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Sweet! Congrats, bud! I hope you like your new toys.... :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2006 6.0L Powerstroke. The truck still has all it's warrenties. I'm thinkin about putting a larger exhaust on it. I've been lookin at the mbrp kits that keep the stock cat that was mentioned earlier in this thread. My question is, do they void my existing warrenties if i put them on? Like the poster at the start of this thread I want to take it one step at a time to upgrade my truck.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
So long as you keep your catalytic converter and a muffler (even if you swap in a new one), you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
You are limited to a 3.5" downpipe due to the catalytic converter. Without that, you "can" fit a 4" but even with a 3.5" it will take some working to get it in there; You can imagine what the 4" will take to get in there. Some folks have taken a dead blow hammer and pounded their firewall to create enough room and others have had it slide right in...

I would stick with a 4" turbo back (which includes the 3.5" downpipe), so that you can still mate up your catalytic converter. It's what the majority of folks have...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts