Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really cosidering getting a vegistroke for my PSD. I'm starting to do a lot research on it now. I've been reading a lot over at fyrbrid.com....:crazy: Man, my head is spinning. I know only the basics of all this, and it seems WVO is becoming harder and harder to come by(because of guys like me getting into the game late). I think that is where I am going to start. Trying to find out how much WVO is available locally to me. After I do that, it will help me decide if this is for me or not.
Any suggestions on where to go from there?
Is there somewhere to read everything from the first step to the last? Other than a forum?
I don't mind doing the research, if it's laid out well. Its hard to learn anything quickly from a forum because of all the stuff you have to sift through...

Any help would be appreciated guys. :thumb:

And helping me get in the game won't be shooting yourself in the foot, as noone from the org lives in my immediate vicinity.
I would not want to horn in on a fellow .orgers oil supply.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You are right to find a good supply of oil before taking the leap. After you accomplish that, it's just a matter of coming up with a cheap setup to heat the oil to remove the water, let it cool so the crap drops out of it, drain the crap off the bottom, then filter the remaining "good oil" through a 5 micron filter, into your holding tank where it will sit until you are ready to pump it into your truck.

Keep in mind, I'm not a pro, and havn't been doing this long - but that brief description is basically it, in a nutshell, and has worked great for me so far.

Chenry is the org's vegistroke pro, but there is quite a few guys in here that can help you out with your heating / filtering setup. Most will just say to use an old water heater, which is the easiest way to go, but if you are looking to do bigger batches, and have the ability, you can also fabricate a heating / settling tank.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
there are 2 writeups i did on filtering here in this section. They both are "stickys" so they are at the top of the list.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right to find a good supply of oil before taking the leap. After you accomplish that, it's just a matter of coming up with a cheap setup to heat the oil to remove the water, let it cool so the crap drops out of it, drain the crap off the bottom, then filter the remaining "good oil" through a 5 micron filter, into your holding tank where it will sit until you are ready to pump it into your truck.

Keep in mind, I'm not a pro, and havn't been doing this long - but that brief description is basically it, in a nutshell, and has worked great for me so far.

Chenry is the org's vegistroke pro, but there is quite a few guys in here that can help you out with your heating / filtering setup. Most will just say to use an old water heater, which is the easiest way to go, but if you are looking to do bigger batches, and have the ability, you can also fabricate a heating / settling tank.
Its just for me and my truck, so the water heater is way I had planned to go. Thanks for the info...
there are 2 writeups i did on filtering here in this section. They both are "stickys" so they are at the top of the list.
Thanks Clay, I have seen those, and i'm in the process of reading them and as many posts as I can in this fuels section. I'm kinda anal, and don't want to get involved in something until I know all about it...

Thanks again guys
Chris

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I'm kinda anal, and don't want to get involved in something until I know all about it...

Nothing wrong with that...i research this for 2 years before i took the plunge.

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
find your oil and then i am going in half with another guy on filtering so it cuts the cost down even a little more. just a idea

1 - 6 of 6 Posts