Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright guys I need a little help, I'm getting ready to install my CB, but I have no Idea where to hook the power up to. I have a red and a black wire, and I know the black one goes to the chassis, but the red wire is supposed to go to a +13.8V DC, where can I find this, how did you guys hook yours up?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
i hooked mine up through the fuse box, but i might have done it the wrong was maybe someone knows

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
alot of times you can hook it up right to your battery and other than that you can do a add a circuit

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Hook it right up to your battery with an inline fuse.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alot of times you can hook it up right to your battery and other than that you can do a add a circuit
Sorry to seem clueless, but can you elaborate on how to do an add a circuit? Where do I do it off, for the power source? Sorry to seem ignorant, I just have never dealt with any electronics on my truck before.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
to dig into adding a circut you can run a power wire straight to the battery and run it through a relay, Then use a keyed ignition source to open/close relay to power on off cb.

·
Registered
348 Posts
i hooked mine up to the upfitter switch

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I'm gonna be wiring mine up next week. I haven't decided where to hook the power up. I know there are several spots in the interior fuse box that are unused. Anybody know if any of them are hot with the key to on or acc only?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I always run the straight to the battery, If things go wrong later its a lot easier to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I believe fuse slot #9 is labled "customer service" (double check owners manual). Get a fuse tap from NAPA. It slides into the fuse slot then you slide the fuse into it AND it has a short lead to splice to. I'll get a pic. taken and post how I did it, very clean and never exits the cab and is fuse protected.

snoboy

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went with the fuse tap.. Radio shack, 4pk for 1.99 :thumb:

·
Registered
344 Posts
dont even need the fuse tap open spade outlets in the fuse box use a female connector and ground it to the factory grounds under your cover that under the steering wheel.

·
Shake and Bake!
159 Posts
Mine is also wired to my fuse box. Works pretty good for me

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
if you dont want to go through the fuse box if it seems complicated. just run straight from the battery through firewall to your cb. if your cb does not have a switch(some have the volume knob all the way down they click off, or some have another form of switch but if yours doesent) add a simple switch that doesnt have l.e.d. so u dont have to ground the switch too. and use that to turn it on and off. also like before mentioned add an inline fuse jut in case to save your cb. thats prolly the easiest way to do it with out worrying about tapping into the fuse box. OR go through upfitter switch if u got em

·
Registered
453 Posts
Straight to the battery, with an inline fuse. Simple, easy to trace, and it will give you a reliable 13.8v source for your c.b.

As long as your cb has an on off switch and you have a fuse, I don't see the need for a switch, unless you want one and don't want to touch the cb.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I keep mine portable to move between vehicles, so I use a cigarette lighter plug for it.
My question is, where have ya'll been mounting the antenna? Staying portable, I use a magnetic one, but would like to make the setup in the truck more finished looking, so am thinking of putting in an antenna and mount a speaker in the center console I have so all I have to do is throw the cb in, plug in two wires, and it's ready to go..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts